Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

Question Jay Feather enclosed underbelly

Anyone have first hand experience with how cold of temps the enclosed underbelly will withstand
luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Hi luigi, and welcome to the site. This is my first year with that type of under belly, so this is new to me.

I found some info; might not answer your question directly, though...
Any RV being used in freezing temperatures should have an enclosed, heated underbelly. Inspect any RV you are considering from underneath to see that the underbelly is fully enclosed and sealed against the elements. Water lines and holding tanks should be well-insulated. (fresh water, black water, gray water, etc…).

This is an area where different manufacturers’ “arctic packages” differ considerably. Find out more about how the underbelly is enclosed and heated. Some underbellies are “heated” with little more than an uninsulated furnace duct running through them. Yes, this will increase the temperature slightly, but it will not prevent freezing in prolonged sub-freezing conditions. A designated vent from the furnace will keep the temperature above freezing and the water flowing freely. The best-equipped rigs have pre-installed heating pads and good insulation in key areas such as dump valves and water lines.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Wsw

I had a 34 foot cougar years ago that I lived in for a couple years and 2 cold winters. First thing I did was gorilla tape every seam. Foam all holes. Factory foam jobs are a joke. Our brand new 2021 eagle has foam everywhere except in the holes.

Then I put a remote thermometer sensor in the underbelly. On really cold mornings. Like 10 or so. My underbelly stayed just above freezing. I ended up cutting a few more holes on the bottom of a couple vents to send a little more warm air into the underbelly. Basically a heated underbelly just means they cut holes in the bottom of the heating vents. I stayed warmer under there after the additional holes were cut in. Also gas furnace not running. No heat down there unless you got tank heaters installed.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote