Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Jay Feather Lite weight series comments, complaints, info needed

Well we went to the dealer today and I was 90% convinced that I was going to be buying a 2010 Jayco G2 29BHS, but my wife is not happy with the layout and I agree with her comments, so that model has been tossed.
We then started looking around the lot and found a 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Select series model 29L. We loved the layout. Not sure if we want to fork over the extra $3K for this model, as compared to the G2 29BHS.
But this model has fiberglass sides and I have heard that the lamination on the fiberglass of some trailers has peeled off in years past and was wondering if that is an issue I should be concerned with. Not sure if it was a Jayco that I saw this on, I just remember hearing about it a few years back.
I was also wondering what if any issues current owners of the Jay Feather Lite weight trailers might have, your comments are greatly appreciated, pros and cons.
troy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

Just to play devil's advocate....

with that model, you have room for 4 kids/guests in the back, but how easy is it to watch the tv? Also how much counter space do you have in the kitchen?

For us, we figured we could squeeze in the older 3 kids in the jack-n-jill bhs and have lots of room to cook and do dishes on the L-shaped counter. Personally the 4-bunk would have been kewl, but we needed the tv set-up and extra counter space of the 29bhs because we spend a lotta time in our tt.... I did notice that the hitch weight was less than the 29 bhs.... what tv do you have (can't remember).

In the long run, get what works for you though! Let us know what ya wind up doing and POST PICS!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

You need to go back to the store and sit in both of them for a while and really look at what appeals to you and what you feel you must have. The extra $3k really isn't all that much when you have what you need and want. It is almost nothing when you spread the cost out over the years you will most likely use the trailer.

Years ago we choose the more expencive of the two we thought we wanted. We kept that trailer for 13 years and the extra $2K we spent averaged out to an extra $12 per month. Plus when we sold it we got a lot more for it because the floor plan and appointments were what people were looking for.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4

Thanks for your comments, the more the better I always say.
Healthi- Funny you should mention devil's advocate, TV's a non issue with us, we got rid of the tv's in our home and just use it for playing video games on and watching our home movies. But thats a subject for a different forum
As far as counter space we have a Coachman 264BH, I think its a 264, and the counter space is tiny in that, we end up taking over the dinette table while making dinner in that. So I think we can adapt to the counter space in the 29L.
As far as the four bunks we see that as a big plus. What turned us off of the 29BHS was no closet space for hanging my wife's and daughters long dresses. In the Coachman we have a small closet that they currently use. We looked at the different models on the lot yesterday the only one we saw with a similar closet is an Amerilite and from the quick look thru we did on that, the build quality is sub par throughout the trailer. I am sold on the Jayco quality and reliability and want to stick with Jayco. Back to the four bunks, we can take out one upper bunk and put up a closet rod and have a HUGE closet back there and still have use of two bunks.
For the most part we are outside of the trailer, unless the weather is bad and then sometimes we just go into the nearest town and find something to do.
This 29L trailer is HUGE compared to our current Coachman and I could see us hanging out inside on a bad weather day.
Clutch-Yes we do need to spend a little more time in it, we ran out of time at the dealership, almost got locked in the lot, we were in their 10 minutes after they closed. But from the half hour we were able to scope it out we liked what we saw.
Yes when you get right down to it the extra 3K is not that much. But as I said on a previous post, I hate payments. I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio, actually podcast, and believe in his motto "cash is king". I plan on throwing as much cash at this thing as possible, as soon as possible.
But my main concern is what has been peoples experiences with the fiberglass siding? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all comments on this forum. I'll be doing more research on the fiberglass siding outside of this site and what I find I will post.
troy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Team

For sure you have to go with what fits your family and your tastes. That`s why they make many different trim lines and model of RV. As for the fiberglass delam issue, it does happen but no way of knowing what the actual percentages really are, I`m thinking very low. You hear about some of the ones that do on the forums, but not the thousands that do not. From what I have gleaned from the forums, a couple other brands seem to have more problems then others with delam. The instances with Jayco`s seem to have been relatively few. Delam starts with water intrusion, and that is no good in any build of trailer. BTW I`m not much on TV when camping either. We do have one, with a DVD, but its a last resort, ie. bad weather or restless kids at night. I passed a policy using my executive powers as dad that no electronics would come on camping trips, such as laptops, PSP`s gameboys, Ipods, Ipads etc. (I have an exemption on a laptop, business reasons and we bring a cell phone). I want to get away from all that stuff as much as possible when camping. But that`s just us, everybody is different! Enjoy the new rig, whatever ya choose. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy76 View Post
<snip>
But my main concern is what has been peoples experiences with the fiberglass siding? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all comments on this forum. I'll be doing more research on the fiberglass siding outside of this site and what I find I will post.
We have a 1990 Bounder MH, which is going away tomorrow when we pick up our new G2. It has Fiberglass walls. It has two minor (less than four inches across) delam spots. They are actually just little bubbles in the side. This after 21 years of being in the weather. And they don't leak. So for us, delam has not been an issue all these years.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

The amount of delam issues is most likely small. We all hear about the problems but never hear from the thousands that have no issues. Our last trailer was an 03 and it had no issues.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

We just bought a 2009 Jayco Ultra Lite 21'. Noticed 2 spots where delam has started. One under the outdoor receptacle near the door and the other under the running light near the front on the other side of the door. Any suggestions on whether that can be fixed. There still seems to be a good structure behind the delam. Has anyone had luck gluing these? Love the trailer. Thanks!
ogione1 is offline   Reply With Quote