Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #61

Excellent idea! Did you come right from the battery for extra outlets?
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:09 AM   #62

I used two of these, one on each side of the head board. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these over the lighter socket type as they offer more power and a very small hole needed vs a 1" or more for anything else. They do actually power my macbook pro.

I connected them together and then a single wire to the power going to the click light for the passthrough. I have a bunch of the wago connectors and I just used a three terminal one swapping out the two terminal one used for the light.

To get to the far side just go through that same opening into the passthrough, use a wire holder to keep the wire up and out of the way.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #63

I should add, I also used one of those to replace the USB port on the wall by the solar controller. Very easy to do, just unscrew, un connect, connect new and screw in, done. In doing so quadruple the power available and quick charging etc.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #64

Thought of that right after I sent the last post. For some reason I have a removable panel on that riser next ot the bed. Think I'll build a little storage area in there and put the outlet there.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #65

Tom: USBs in. Very easy. Thanks
Old 05-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #66

TomC, EJH: Battery monitor installed! Not to bad to run wire and mount by controller and get shunt in battery box. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #67

That is awesome, see its not too bad to work on these. I have found it somewhat therapeutic vs working with the dealer. :-)
Old 05-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #68

Amen. Been trying to get a replacement for faulty solar cable for 10 days including a personal visit to parts mgr to explain problem. (20ft 14ga wire to move 380 watts of solar 3ft they installed instead of 3ft 10ga). Should have just spent the 20 bucks on Amazon to get it myself.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #69

166fbs invertor for lithium

Is this the invertor that should be the direct swap for factory non lithium unit? Should fit existing opening and wiring should be the same. Amazon shows a vendor in Oregon who offers them
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220523-111534_Chrome.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #70

Yes, there is also a newer version of this that ends in AD instead of the LIS.

One thing to look at before you order it, take your current one out and count the colored 12v wires. There should only be 7 wires. If yours has 8 (the eighth being a orange wire) do not order one as yours is different. Mine has the 8th wire. This is a special wire setup that WFCO did for Airstream/Jayco for a few models. Contact WFCO and talk to them about the swap before ordering anything.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #71

Theres always something! AD is the one dealer recommended. Auto detect is nice.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #72
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Is this the invertor that should be the direct swap for factory non lithium unit? Should fit existing opening and wiring should be the same. Amazon shows a vendor in Oregon who offers them
Forester2, do you only have 100AH of lithium?

I actually have the newer WFCO that Tom mentions. Honestly, in hindsight, I would not have bothered. I only have a single 100AH LiFePo battery and the stock WFCO converter/charger will get it to 80-90%. My solar can do the rest (I have 390W of panels). That extra 10-20% the solar will charge in as quick as an hour in good sun. If I leave my home or camp with shore power, by the time I drive to the next destination, the battery is at 100%.

If you have more than one 100AH battery, it makes more sense to swap the converter/charger. I would probably return my AD version if I was still within the window.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:34 AM   #73

Two 100ahr Battleborn, 380 watt solar on roof, 200 watt Renogy suitcase. Put suitcase on batteries today and got to 100% in 4hrs without roof panel (still waiting for correct wire for roof panels to work). Think Ill give it a season to see what happens
Old 05-29-2022, 05:38 AM   #74

Solar panel update. Finally got new 10ga wires from the dealer. Installed connectors exactly as I removed them. P01 error on controller: reverse polarity. They had put the male and female connectors on the wrong wires on old wires. Removed and reversed the connectors; we have solar. Continue to be amazed by the lack of attention to detail and testing for proper function in this business.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:05 PM   #75

Not sure if you have seen videos (recent ones) of various RVs MFGs. Josh the RV nerd has a few. It has always amazed me that theses units are even put together as well as they are with how the focus is clearly on number of units made per day vs how well the end product is. Not to classify everything in this title but it brings “cheapness” to the Amish made and Made in USA. Some seem to have a complete lack of QC along the line and lack a full QC at the end of the process for each unit! I think Jayco and others use to do this but no longer do. I have a tour scheduled later this year and hope to be able to see our units being made. I don’t want to be “that guy” who brings things up but I also won’t hesitate to ask questions. ��
Old 05-30-2022, 03:57 AM   #76

I toured both the Jayco and Winnebago factories on our way back home from Montana last year. I think our Jayco tour guide was embarrased by the state of the facility. Both companies were having a terrible time getting workers.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #77

Was just sitting and thinking about comments suggesting batteries being as close to controller as possible. Did anyone look at putting them in the space under the couch?
Old 01-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #78

I looked there, but that thought didn't last long. While they should be as close to the controller as possible it is more important for them to be closer to the inverter. I just could not come up with a good solution for mounting it all under the couch. Not to say one does not exist, just could not think of it. Especially when taking the slide, sliding action into account. While it is out it also limits the depth of that space as well. Along with taking into account the slide motor as well..

If you just had a single or two smaller batteries and the controller and NO inverter than it would probably work well. Controller wires from the bathroom side wall to the batteries and output from batteries to the 12v connection by the water heater out the other side.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #79

Tom: No invertor plans and 2 Battleborn 100amh batteries. Thinking because I just reinstalked my batteries on the tongue in the cold and snow. If I can get to the battery wires in that bath wall where you had me run the shunt wire it spunds pretty simple. Assume same wires I just used changing my comtroller to a Victron. Anything connected down stream from controller on current route to the batteries?
Old 01-11-2023, 04:25 PM   #80

Yep that would be pretty simple, just make sure to put something in place so that the batteries cannot move around.

For connection routing it would go from the solar panel to the controller (preferably with a breaker inline). Controller to the batteries. Then out from the batteries to the simple buss bar the factory created right by the water heater. The shunt would still be on the neg side of the battery.

You could have the solar go to the buss bar but it would simplify it if it went direct to the battery in this location. You may have to figure out a new common ground for the controller, but that shouldn't be too hard.

As for the cables up on the tongue just cover the connectors and wrap them up well so they are protected and ziptie them. That leaves them for any future use/owner etc..