Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Jay Feather Vs. Jay Flight

Which is the better built Jayco model, the Jay Feather or the Jay Flight and why?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

I'll take a stab at this. Both are awesome, both are 'built' by the same company using the same standards. Both will have problems on delivery, as we've all seen. Usually minor things.. The Jay Feather doesn't suffer from additional problems on delivery because it is lighter, but LONG term, perhaps the lighter construction will begin to show itself in terms of durability, or lack thereof. Look at where the weight savings came from. Frame, Walls, flooring, axles, and roof? If you asked a typical person, do you want a pine table, or an oak table, what would they say? Heck, I use a plastic table when camping. If I could tow an oak picnic table and had 3 sons to set it up for me, I probably would.

If you have 2 fairly identical campers, let's say both are 30 foot long and similarly equipped. One of them is heavier than the other from the factory. You can guess why. The heavier camper is going to be heavier because it has heavier components, which in the construction business, usually (not always) equates to better. If given the choice, you would always build with 2x4's instead of 2x2's (not that the JayFlight uses 2x4's but trying to make an analogy of sorts) If you can tow it, I'd lean towards the heavier Jay Flight by default. If you are concerned about the ability of your TV to tow the heavier brother, nothing wrong with getting the lighter TT.

Your question is HARD to answer because both are built the same. If built 'better' means built with heavier duty materials, than the Jayflight wins by default. Kind of like asking if the F150 or 250 are 'built better'. The real question is which camper meets *your* requirements. That's the 'better' choice.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Very well said Bonsai - very well said...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

That's a good analysis, ban.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Very good choice of words Bansai you're right on. Both will serve you a long time if you take care of them and look after maintenance as needed.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I'll take a stab at this. Both are awesome, both are 'built' by the same company using the same standards. Both will have problems on delivery, as we've all seen. Usually minor things.. The Jay Feather doesn't suffer from additional problems on delivery because it is lighter, but LONG term, perhaps the lighter construction will begin to show itself in terms of durability, or lack thereof. Look at where the weight savings came from. Frame, Walls, flooring, axles, and roof? If you asked a typical person, do you want a pine table, or an oak table, what would they say? Heck, I use a plastic table when camping. If I could tow an oak picnic table and had 3 sons to set it up for me, I probably would.

If you have 2 fairly identical campers, let's say both are 30 foot long and similarly equipped. One of them is heavier than the other from the factory. You can guess why. The heavier camper is going to be heavier because it has heavier components, which in the construction business, usually (not always) equates to better. If given the choice, you would always build with 2x4's instead of 2x2's (not that the JayFlight uses 2x4's but trying to make an analogy of sorts) If you can tow it, I'd lean towards the heavier Jay Flight by default. If you are concerned about the ability of your TV to tow the heavier brother, nothing wrong with getting the lighter TT.

Your question is HARD to answer because both are built the same. If built 'better' means built with heavier duty materials, than the Jayflight wins by default. Kind of like asking if the F150 or 250 are 'built better'. The real question is which camper meets *your* requirements. That's the 'better' choice.
Thank you for your response! So the Jay Flight is built with stronger heavier gauge materials. Understanding that they are assembled to the same quality level, the Jay Flight must be the stronger model if the axles, walls, frame, flooring, and roof are comprised of more substantial materials, like a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton truck. For me I would definitely call that better built - Just how I look at it. The materials used and the assembly are interdependent factors in a build quality analysis.

We had a trailer that was made of unusually high quality materials, but it was riddled with assembly derelictions that cost us a lot money, time, and energy. We have also had vehicles that were put together very well, but the parts were cheap. We basically rebuilt them, where we could, with better parts. I prefer to have both factors at a high level, of course. I know - That is virtually impossible. I would prefer the Jay Flight for this reason, but we did not find a floorplan that we wanted, and weight is a factor. We all know that there are trade-offs for everything.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 AM   #7

And when you go inside, the Jay Flight has amenities that the Jay Feather lacks. Regular Jay Flight has things like cabinets all around, and 8 CU refrigerators, larger fresh water supply, etc.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdx View Post
....the F150 just shed 700 pounds by using more expensive materials and manufacturing processes. Not sure that means the old F150 is better (or worse). In the Jayco models, are the cabinet doors different? Fiberglas siding vs aluminum makes a difference. What about amenities? Maybe the Jay Feather is less likely to hold together in the long run, but not sure you can assume that based on weight alone. Is there a way to find out about actual construction differences?

Comparing Fords weight reductions with Jayco's is apples and oranges. In Ford's case - payload capacity went UP when they made the change to aluminum, a good thing, and the price also went up.. They didn't downgrade their frames, axles, towing capacity or interior to save weight. That isn't what happened with the Jay feathers, they have weaker axles, less payload, are cheaper in cost, and are more bare bones as well. Secondly (Thirdly?) the jury is far from out on if Ford's switch to aluminum was a good thing, I know their competitors are all over it because steel is more durable on a truck. If ford made an 'ultra light' F150 along side their standard model, one that cost 20% less than the standard one, we could compare the 2 and you would see the reduction in capability immediately.

All that said, I stand by my original reply. Either camper is a great choice. Ultra light campers make compromises so people can tow them, not to increase durability. You have to look at the motivation behind the weight savings to determine why it was done, and if the end result is a more, or less capable camper.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Team

This somewhat covers it

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ter-40108.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Comparing Fords weight reductions with Jayco's is apples and oranges. In Ford's case - payload capacity went UP when they made the change to aluminum, a good thing, and the price also went up.. They didn't downgrade their frames, axles, towing capacity or interior to save weight. That isn't what happened with the Jay feathers, they have weaker axles, less payload, are cheaper in cost, and are more bare bones as well. Secondly (Thirdly?) the jury is far from out on if Ford's switch to aluminum was a good thing, I know their competitors are all over it because steel is more durable on a truck. If ford made an 'ultra light' F150 along side their standard model, one that cost 20% less than the standard one, we could compare the 2 and you would see the reduction in capability immediately.

All that said, I stand by my original reply. Either camper is a great choice. Ultra light campers make compromises so people can tow them, not to increase durability. You have to look at the motivation behind the weight savings to determine why it was done, and if the end result is a more, or less capable camper.
As far as I am concerned, the logic here is saying that the Jay Feather is cheaper in quality than the Jay Flight. The price difference is nominal (really minimal), especially considering what the you get with the Flight. If we wanted the floorplan and the weight of the Jay Flight 24RBS, we would have paid about $1,100 more for a fully loaded Elite Package 2017 (based on sticker/msrp on both models, 2016 Feather 23RBM being our unit). Once you are dealing in a price level, this price difference is not really a factor between these units. If this is thread content is accurate, then the Flight is hands down the better trailer and value, making it the better choice. If weight is not an issue and you find a floorplan that you like, the Jay Flight is the best choice if you like its design and can tow it to your liking. No need for euphemisms or soft-soaping - Based on the information in this thread, logic says that the Feather is a "less capable" trailer, and the Flight is a more capable trailer.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Given the choice, it would be the Jayflight. Good ole aluminum n wood construction will outlast the fiberglass bonded construction......
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote