Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
wanted to share my 1st inspired outdoor shower mod.
Well shoot, I think that's pretty ingenious...especially using the existing low-point drain lines.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #182

Quote:
wanted to share my 1st inspired outdoor shower mod.

Since I'll wait to cut into the RV for now (request to Jayco 4 replies deep), I still wanted to add an outdoor shower kit. Not sure if anything is wrong with this setup, but here goes. Comments/critique appreciated.

Thoughts:
- Take advantage of low point drains (so no drilling or cutting the RV).
- Take advantage of it being outside (leaks acceptable), so use cheap tubing with disconnects.
- Use outdoor storage setup on trailer bumper

So setup is a matter of two quick disconnects per line... At least that's the plan.

Looks like it will work to me. I was actually going to do almost the same thing but mount either a box on the bumper with the shower in it, (plumbing it like you did), or use brass hardware and basically make an outdoor shower.

In the end, I just decided to cut a hole in the camper.

I have the plans for my trailer. If I can find the file, I can send them to you. I just took measurements of my own and felt the studs in the trailer. The plans just backed up what I thought. They were very close to what is actually in my trailer. Probably within a 1/4"
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
Looks like it will work to me. I was actually going to do almost the same thing but mount either a box on the bumper with the shower in it, (plumbing it like you did), or use brass hardware and basically make an outdoor shower.

In the end, I just decided to cut a hole in the camper.

I have the plans for my trailer. If I can find the file, I can send them to you. I just took measurements of my own and felt the studs in the trailer. The plans just backed up what I thought. They were very close to what is actually in my trailer. Probably within a 1/4"
Thanks for the inspiration (and the step by step instructions...) I will definitely reach out for the files. As you mentioned, having a little backup would put a lot of confidence into that first cut.

For now, I just figure to put two storage boxes on the back. One for outdoor shower / clean hoses and the other for dirty stuff. Vortex fan coming up next!
fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #184

Any chance anyone with the non baja version of 174bh can take some photos of their underbelly, specifically the water and waste tanks? I’m hoping to get an idea of how they are reinforced before I go ripping up the underbelly cover of my baja edition .

Thanks in advance!
xizowudao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizowudao View Post
Took our first trip in the 174bh this past week! What a great camper!

Question for everyone who has the same trailer... how long are you able to make the tanks last for you? Our baja edition has 30 gallon fresh, 20 gallon black and 20 gallon gray. It was only my wife and I, and we only managed to make everything last about 5 and a half days before we ran out. I feel like this is a pretty low amount of time even though I thought we were conserving well haha! If anyone has any water conservation tips throw them this way! cheers everyone
We have a 20BH Jayfeather, with a 37 gal fresh and 20 ish gal black and gray. How we do it is I haul a 55gal Poly drum with fresh water in the back of the pickup as well as a 20 gal gray /blk extra storage tank. No getting around the need for water, and so any way to extend with more storage capacity is a plus in the alaska/Yukon camp sites.
Your campsite looks terrific!
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #186

Quote:
Any chance anyone with the non baja version of 174bh can take some photos of their underbelly, specifically the water and waste tanks? I’m hoping to get an idea of how they are reinforced before I go ripping up the underbelly cover of my baja edition .

Thanks in advance!
I got one decent picture. Every time I tried to take a picture, the lighting would be so bad you could not see anything. If yours are mounted like mine are, there is a large U channel that one side of the tank slides up into and rest on. The other side is held up by one bracket on each end. Probably would not hurt to throw a couple more of those brackets on just for something extra.
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg  
Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #187

What a great thread. Thanks to all the contributors.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #188

Quote:
I got one decent picture. Every time I tried to take a picture, the lighting would be so bad you could not see anything. If yours are mounted like mine are, there is a large U channel that one side of the tank slides up into and rest on. The other side is held up by one bracket on each end. Probably would not hurt to throw a couple more of those brackets on just for something extra.
Awesome thanks for this!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #189

Quote:
Awesome thanks for this!
No Problem!

Does yours have a full skin underneath? I was thinking of doing that myself so that everything is tucked up nicely and protected.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #190

Quote:
No Problem!

Does yours have a full skin underneath? I was thinking of doing that myself so that everything is tucked up nicely and protected.
Yes here's some pics of the skin underneath in the baja edition.

Question for those that are handier than me... if I were to try and remove the skin, in order to get at the tanks so i can try to reinforce them, what would be the best method for getting the skin around the exposed waste pipes? seems like I would have to cut into the skin there to separate and then put it back together somehow... what would be the best method for that? I'm not the handiest guy but can follow directions okay haha
Attached Thumbnails
Photo 2020-06-06, 7 23 15 PM.jpg   Photo 2020-06-06, 7 23 20 PM.jpg   Photo 2020-06-06, 7 23 28 PM.jpg   Photo 2020-06-06, 7 23 46 PM.jpg  
Old 06-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #191

Just wanted to share finished pics of outdoor shower kit and storage mount solution. I couldn’t find anything handy to attach box to u bolts. I ended up finding a bike rack holder on amazon. A handful of small u bolts for the boxes and voila...

Maiden voyage begins tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
D1F04728-A5B9-4CF7-896B-21C7451FC01B.jpeg   EED1CF69-AA14-420A-97DC-8EBB3C2DFA22.jpg  
Old 06-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #192

Quote:

Question for those that are handier than me... if I were to try and remove the skin, in order to get at the tanks so i can try to reinforce them, what would be the best method for getting the skin around the exposed waste pipes? seems like I would have to cut into the skin there to separate and then put it back together somehow... what would be the best method for that? I'm not the handiest guy but can follow directions okay haha
I have a similar belly pan on my Jayfeather Baha edition, and if I were to do what you are attempting, I would pull a section near a tank loose and in order to see up inside to the tank, and then what the job entails first. You may not have to pull the covering completely off. If you do however, then likely the only way would be to cut it where the pipe penetrates and make a seam. I would try to obtain the same product, but that may not be possible, so look for something else in order to make an overlapped splice using the best adhesive you can find. I would be tempted to use something like aluminum flashing, like they sell at Home Depot, and go completely over the cut area. It shouldn't require a lot of this and the flashing is very light weight so some good adhesive would keep it on and sealed.

Let us know how it goes, with pictures, as I some of us may benefit!
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #193

Quote:
Just wanted to share finished pics of outdoor shower kit and storage mount solution. I couldn’t find anything handy to attach box to u bolts. I ended up finding a bike rack holder on amazon. A handful of small u bolts for the boxes and voila...

I think that turned out really good.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #194

Quote:

I agree, I think I would try and just pull it down in a spot and get a good look in there before you start doing to much. It may be up there better than you think. If you do take it all the way off, I would cut a slit in the cover so you can remove that section and do what you want under there. I also think taking something like aluminum flashing, some sealant and some simple screws or pop rivits to close it back up.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #195

Quote:
95% of our cooking is done outside.
There is a double T under the steps for gas so I added a quick disconnect to right there. It was a convenient location for cooking. We ordered a 17" Blackstone griddle and hose for it. It has proven to be great for campsite cooking and running it off of the camper gas supply means I do not have to worry about running out of gas.
So far it has been great!
Hi Rigger, Any pictures or part descriptions you can help to share for quick disconnect gas line parts?

btw - the low point drain valves worked ok for the outdoor shower, but they are cheap plastic valves with pressure relief. I ended up doing a quick replacement after the trial run.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2830.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #196

Quote:
Hi Rigger, Any pictures or part descriptions you can help to share for quick disconnect gas line parts?

btw - the low point drain valves worked ok for the outdoor shower, but they are cheap plastic valves with pressure relief. I ended up doing a quick replacement after the trial run.
I think you can find just about anything you need here.
https://propanegear.com/

I think this is the quick disconnect that I ordered.
https://propanegear.com/female-1-4-q...with-shut-off/

Have to get a 1/4 pipe male nipple and you can thread it right into the block under the steps. At least mine has a block right there where the gas line runs up to the fridge. There was one extra port right there. You just need a little gas rated pipe dope for the threads.

You can get all kinds of stuff from this site. And they ship quickly. At least they did before the virus slowed everything down.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #197

Quote:
Well a couple of weeks ago I broke down to the idea of installing a little TV in the trailer. In the past I have always thought I would never have a TV in the trailer and when we camp, camping is what we do! Not watch TV. I figured it was time to put one in and make it something that would be used only if we were stuck inside due to bad weather or something of that nature.

I decided on getting a little 22'' flat screen and wall mount from Harbor Freight. Mounted the wall mount to a stud, power and TV hook up were already there so the hardest part about this project was just taking the TV out of the box!

It is not a smart TV so I ordered the correct cable for my cell and now I can use an HDMI port on the TV to watch anything off of my cell. I have unlimited data so as long as I have a decent signal, it works to watch something off of Netflix.

The TV speakers are typical for a little TV and are not bad but not that great either. I can blue tooth my cell to the stereo in the camper so if we are watching a movie on the TV, we can listen to the sound through the stereo.

Overall it all worked well, was an easy project and did not cost much at all. TV was $80. Wall mount was $20. The cord was about $13.
Hey Rigger, Looks like SWMBO is getting her TV in the TT. We were at Wally's World and she found a 24 inch tv for less than $90. On the Harbor Freight 17-42 inch tv mount, what size lag bolts did you use? The ones provided in the kit look like they are too long and could possibly penetrate the outer skin.

Thanks again for your inspiration!

Dutch~
EarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #198

Quote:

Fisher, I like your set up with the bike rack. What is the over size of each rack? Amazon give the overall dimensions of the packaging but not the size of the racks themselves.

Also, how did you mount the boxes to the racks?

Thanks

Dutch ~
EarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlD View Post
Hey Rigger, Looks like SWMBO is getting her TV in the TT. We were at Wally's World and she found a 24 inch tv for less than $90. On the Harbor Freight 17-42 inch tv mount, what size lag bolts did you use? The ones provided in the kit look like they are too long and could possibly penetrate the outer skin.

Thanks again for your inspiration!

Dutch~
Earl,

I used 1-1/4" long screws. Actually used stainless steel truss heads screws, just happen to have them laying around. I also used them because they look nice. The wood studs are 1-1/2" plus your outer and inner skin. Mark your drill bit with some tape so you will not go too deep and just predrill for the lag. If your TV is as light as mine is, it will be more than enough to do the job. I have several trips on mine since installing the TV and it has not moved at all.

You could probably use up to a 1-1/2" long lag because you have the inner skin, plus the mount and a washer. You can check the length of your lag by looking at the thickness of the materials on yours in your forward storage compartment.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlD View Post
Fisher, I like your set up with the bike rack. What is the over size of each rack? Amazon give the overall dimensions of the packaging but not the size of the racks themselves.

Also, how did you mount the boxes to the racks?

Thanks

Dutch ~
Hi Dutch,

The two racks are 24"L x 20"W. I have about 19" hanging out the back. I used 1.5" x 1" u-bolts (i believe) from home depot (pics below). I stuck a piece of foam on the bolts sticking out.

Also wanted to report on a solar charger I picked up. It kept us 3/4 to F on battery throughout our trip up in the mountains (5 cold nights) with intermittent sun. So happy with the results and will keep me from adding any additional battery capacity in the near term.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3141.jpg   IMG_3142.jpg   IMG_3139.jpg