Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Thumbs up Jay Flight 28 BHBE maiden Voyage :)

We just got back from a long weekend away to Hocking Hills here in Ohio. Things didn't start out to fun given we got to hitch up in the pouring rain. I hope to not do that again. We are slow to hitch up being N00bs not wanting to forget anything and got soaked lol. The whole time the kids were complaining in the back seat. Good times. Once on the way I was worried about our weight being out of balance. The ride once we hit the freeway seemed very bumpy and bouncy. No sway just lots of bumpy bouncing. Turned out the problem was that particular freeway (I71) SUCKS because the rest was smooth sailing. Even in the rain and high winds we experienced no sway and the Tundra RPMs and transmission gauge didn't even seem to indicate we were towing. Even in the super steep bumpy road up into our campground it had no issue. So I feel a bit better about our truck with this trailer combo. I knew we were pushing our payload but we were still over 2500 below tow capacity.

Set up went well and I'm sure we will get better at it. I'm confused about the hot water heater. The guy at the PDI told me to have the water pump on when using the water heater even when using a city water hookup. He warned me to be super careful that I had water in the water heater or I'd burn it up. I looked over the instruction book a ton before starting it up and saw nothing about the water pump. So is this true? Do you leave the water heater on or just turn it on when you need hot water? Also the plug to drain it is in a crap spot. Is there a tool that is good for getting that in and out without busting open your knuckles?

Kids had a blast the full size bunks are great with older kids like ours. As a woman with 2 daughters I greatly appreciate the spacious bathroom. My husband and son don't seem to appreciate it like we girls do. I think its pretty awesome. Upgrading from a popup I love the bathroom . It got down to the mid 30's and the camper stayed nice and warm with no issue glad we got the thermal pack. A lot of condensation on the windows and metal around the door. Is there a good way to keep that from happening?

Lesson learned take down the smoke detector before cooking bacon in the kitchen. It gets a little smokey lol. Noticed we have a popped seam on a dinette cushion I'm not sure how they will fix. Upper bunk window won't open its catching on something. Screen won't stay closed and the outside shower leaks pretty badly. Mostly all little issues though all the major stuff worked well.

We were slow packing up making sure we did everything right and we did grease up the E4 and the ball and it was much easier to work with that way so thanks to those who gave that tip. We got everything home and backed into its spot in storage without messing up anything so we were super excited to have our first trip go so smoothly. I can honestly say all the help I have gotten reading here is IMO the reason we had such a successful maiden voyage so thank you I look forward to many many more camping trips Our 8 year old son is VERY ADHD so nothing better for him than room to run and mud to fall in while camping and I'm a happy mama with a shower to hose him off in
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Glad ya'll had a great trip. We just got back from our second trip w/ ours and we loved it. You'll get the hang of set up/break down pretty quick. Just get in the habit of going slow and doing a final walk around prior to leaving. As for the water pump, if your on city water, no real Need to have it on, but you won't hurt anything if you do. For the HWH, I just used a set of channel locks tout the plug in. I'm sure there's a socket that will work also.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Sounds like your maiden voyage was a success. Everything will get easier with the more trips you take. I'm on my 6th RV in 30+years ..... Setup will become second nature after a few trips. Camping is great, never give up!

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Glad to hear all went well, it will only get better! Enjoy it, it is an awesome trailer.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

That's great to hear. We went from the dealer lot to Kmart (to eat Little Caesar's) then to Walmart to get groceries and supplies, then home to pack, then to campground. It was 10 pm and raining. My wife complained the whole time, but I wanted to get there that night to have 2 days at the spot. Ended up a great time for a first trip. It will get easier/quicker!
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

Glad the maiden voyage was a success...
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

City water, no pump. The city provides the pressure.
Water heater, I use a socket and extension for the plug. Be careful installing, easy to cross-thread.
In our X23B the bath vent was open all the time (Maxx Air cover). No condensation.
Split seam, dealer/ Jayco, warranty.
Keep a problem/squawk list for a few trips then visit your dealer.
If it's a good dealer it'll all get sorted out.
Good or bad experiences with major purchases I always say, " thanks, I'll tell all my friends".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

Jay Flight 28 BHBE maiden Voyage :)

Mara glad to hear your voyage went well. A few of us are heading to hocking hills the weekend of the 24th. Your more than willing to ping along if your up to it.

If your interested either PM me or stop by the Midwest Rallies being planned.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #9

On solution to the water heater plus is to add an extension and valve I used a 12" flex hose and valve lake what you use to hook up the water supply on a household sink. Makes it easy to reach and no tools to operate the valve.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
On solution to the water heater plus is to add an extension and valve I used a 12" flex hose and valve lake what you use to hook up the water supply on a household sink. Makes it easy to reach and no tools to operate the valve.
Where did you find the extension valve is that just a lowes or home depot item and mind if I ask what a valve lake is? You have my attention because that plug is in a crappy spot to drain after each trip lol. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #11

Great first trip. As others have noted, the setup/teardown will become second nature. Our first few trips last year I was VERY slow and used a checklist for everything, but it got to the point that I didn't need the list anymore. I always do a final walk around once DW and the dog are in the truck, just to be on the safe side. I also do a walk around at every stop.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
Mara glad to hear your voyage went well. A few of us are heading to hocking hills the weekend of the 24th. Your more than willing to ping along if your up to it.

If your interested either PM me or stop by the Midwest Rallies being planned.
I wish I could but I need a long weekend to make the trip worth it and I think thats a class weekend for me. I teach and am in Grad School every other weekend getting my masters in special education. Once summer hits though I plan to be a camping queen Next move is for me to learn to back up the trailer with the help of my 14 year old so we can go out without my husband since his vacation schedule is not as liberal as mine lol.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

There really is not reason, at least that I know of, for you to have to drain the water heater after every trip. Most of us just drain it at the end of the season, or if travelling to a warmer area in the winter, before returning.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #14

This is what I use on my water heater plug. Works great for me.

I hope you enjoy your new 28BHBE as much as we do!
Dan
Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #15

Sorry, I meamt like, not lake. Yes, take a look at Home Depot or lowes in the plumbing section. I used a short PVC nipple, can't remember the size....1/2" or 5/8"? Then a 12" flex connection like you would use on a sink or toilet. I matched it up to a valve also like you would use on a sink or toilet.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #16

Hey Swinepartner, how does your suburban do towing the 28bhbe? I should also ask what size your burn is.
We are picking up our trailer on Friday, and I will be towing it with my Tahoe with the hd tow package. Reading some threads on here I have started getting a little nervous!
Anyway, I would love to hear how yours is doing.
NWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #17

NW, so far the burb is doing good. Only been in two trips w/ it. Gets about 8.5 mpg. And I start looking fuel at the 150 mile mark. I'm easy on accelerating, leave room in front of me. It pulls great between 55-62ish. Had it up to 65 on some flat interstate and it did pretty good. My dad who has full timed for 20 yrs,went w/ me to take it to the dealer the other day and said that it handles pretty well and is doing what it is supposed to be doing. The only thing that freaks me out now is seeing my trans temp creep above 200 while in small towns. But service guy says I'm good till 250 for long periods of time. Highway speeds it runs 170-180. We only carry snacks in it, so trailer has all cargo n luggage. I am keeping my eyes open for a 3/4 ton, but I think I'm good for now. Hope this helps some.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #18

Camping World sells a brass plug with drain valve that is a permanent replacement for that plastic plug. It makes it much easier to drain the water heater using this device rather than having to find tools to remove the plug.
dakotakid91 is offline   Reply With Quote