Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 AM   #1

Jay Flight 28BHBE manufacturing issues

My family purchased a 2017 Jayco 28BHBE new and have had some manufacturing issues. I thought they were isolated to our trailer but a co-worker bought the same trailer months after us and have had the exact same issues. This tells me there may be a systemic problem with this particular model or manufacturing lot.
I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues:

-Shower leaks (little to no caulking)*co-worker told it was missed during the build, it's been fixed by dealer but still leaks*
-Toilet leaks at base on occasion
-Main door doesn't close/open or lock (holding it closed with external bar for now) *co-worker was told his door was warped, new one on order*
-Front living room speakers cracking
-External speakers crack
-Right bedroom window leaks
-Kitchen window leaks
-Bedroom light is difficult to power on/off
-Wood panel by bunk beds pushed in when using electrical outlet
-DVD /TV interface (goes black during movie)
-Keeps turning on subtitles when they're turned off multiple times
-Wardrobe door left of bed doesn't close
-Bedroom ceiling is sagging (probably explains light issue)*co-worker was told that the adhesive wasn't done correctly*

These are issues we've found this far. Don't get me wrong, we absolutely love our trailer but there's a lot of warranty work involved now for both my coworker and I & it's a bit of a fishy coincidence when two of the same trailers have almost exactly the same problems. I work in manufacturing & this would be a potential quality control issue.

Timing has been bad for us to get the work done, my coworker has had his trailer in multiple times and it's still not fixed. We have adapted & are working around the issues as we can. We know when the trailer goes in, it will be weeks before we get it back. Unfortunately we can't go anywhere while the door cannot be closed & locked at this point so we'll be making an appointment for the warranty work to be performed.

If anyone else has experienced these on this particular model, and is there more we should be worried about, please let me know! Strange coincidence that we would both buy the "Friday" model months apart....
LDCM Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #2

Sorry to hear you've had issues. I have a 2017 28BHBE and I have had zero issues. And we have camped in it quite a bit.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #3

I have a 2017 28bhsw and I had my fair share of issues but none of the issues you have. I contacted the dealer GM and he got all of the issues fixed and never kept the TT more then a week and even picked up and delivered it back home. Good luck!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

We picked up our 2017 BHBE a bit over a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDCM Edwards View Post
-Shower leaks (little to no caulking)*co-worker told it was missed during the build, it's been fixed by dealer but still leaks*
I have not experienced these but we have only tested the shower not used it for actual showering (only electric hookups used thus far). Where on the shower are you experiencing leaks?

Quote:
-Main door doesn't close/open or lock (holding it closed with external bar for now) *co-worker was told his door was warped, new one on order*
-External speakers crack
-Kitchen window leaks
-Bedroom ceiling is sagging (probably explains light issue)*co-worker was told that the adhesive wasn't done correctly*
I have not noticed any of these issues and I've affirmatively checked/used all except checking on the panel by the bunk bed being pushed in. It's been raining cats and dogs here lately so I've made a few general surveys to check for any leaks throughout including each of the windows with no observed issues. Our external speakers are in the awning arms and while not wonderful quality they aren't crackling.

Quote:
We didn't order ours with a TV and haven't added one (and don't plan to) so I can't comment on these.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the state of our unit. I was expecting a number of issues, but at least right now the extent of our problems was a small dent in the front panel of the fridge (visible in a raking light). This may change with more use, but (knock on wood) the fit/finish has been better than I was prepared for.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

We have a 2016 28BHBE and have only had minor warranty issues.
The big thing for us was that when the bathroom door was closed you could see right thru along the striker plate and all up and down along that backstop. They put a strip of foam rubber in and that resolved the issue.

Also had the TV antenna leaking water down thru the center of the antenna onto the floor. Found the o-ring was pinched. Fixed under warranty.

With all the issues you are having, I would ask for a trailer replacement.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #6

I have a 2017 28 BHBE.

I bought mine in the fall and have only taken it out twice. We are going to start our camping season next weekend. So far, only issue I found was a water leak around the front bedroom window. The one on the side where the main door is.

But...it was after a hard, blowing rain. It has never leaked during a normal rain. The water was laying in the bottom left side of the window. I went outside and felt around the window to see if any of the caulking had gaps. While trying to figure this out, I noticed the leak was right in line with one of the "weep holes". I come to the conclusion (or assumption) that the rain and wind was blowing so hard that it blew through the weep holes.

Maybe I'm wrong?
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #7

We just picked up our 2017 28BHBE a little over a week ago. We took it out for one night for a "shakedown cruise." Windy and rainy at the campground that night and no leaks that we could find. Two issues we've found so far however. In the cabinet above the kitchen sink, the electric connection board that's in there was not connected to the wall, it was just hanging from the wires and somewhat resting on the cabinet shelf. I say somewhat resting as the shelf was not supported at all on the left side. There was a brace on the right and in the middle between the doors but they didn't finish attaching the shelf or electronics. The dealer's "fix it" guy came to our house to "fix" these issues. The shelf is now supported on the left but he didn't use a tape measure to make sure it was even. He then got a plastic wicker looking mesh, cut it out to the size of the electric connection board and velcroed it. We've also noticed a section of trim at the right side of the slide out that is bulging. Almost forgot too the time out bench seat was loose as it pulled away from the staples. The "fix it" guy just shoved it back into the staples. I'm going to take it apart and fix it correctly myself.

Overall, we're happy and expected a few things that would need fixed. Looking forward to taking it out for some extended stays once school is out of the summer. Unfortunately, all of the State Parks we want to go to are full for the summer. Looking now at finding other RV parks to camp.
baumer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumer64 View Post
Overall, we're happy and expected a few things that would need fixed. Looking forward to taking it out for some extended stays once school is out of the summer. Unfortunately, all of the State Parks we want to go to are full for the summer. Looking now at finding other RV parks to camp.
I haven't stayed in a State Park yet. I have a 6 year old boy who likes doing all sorts of things. I go to privately owned campgrounds. They usually have activities for kids and you can still enjoy the outdoor type things like hiking, fishing, biking and whatever else.

This is my favorite site for searching for campgrounds from state to state.

RV Campground Search at Good Sam RV Club

You select a state then city or zip code. Then you can narrow your search down to mile radius. You can also sort by bathroom rating, facility rating among other ratings. Pretty cool I think! So far I have been pleased with the site.
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

We have a 2015 Jay Flight BHBE and the main issue with it was the slide going out of alignment and drive mechanism skipping gears.

After bringing it back 4 times for realignment the dealer determined the root cause was a manufacturing defect. They replaced all the damaged slide components and repositioned the slide mounts welded to the frame. Works fine now but my experience with Jayco would have been much improved if they were more serious about quality control.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #10

We have a 2017 28 BHBE that we have camped in for about 1 year or 40+ nights. Love the camper but have had a couple of the same issues.

Quote:
Our shower leaked along the bottom door channel as well. Seemed to be mostly resolved by adding clear silicone inside where the bottom door channel meets the side pieces. Still have a very minor leak so I will need to look into further sealing.

Quote:
-External speakers crack
-Kitchen window leaks
We had none of these issues at all. We did have to have the Furrion DV3200 radio replaced as it kept reverting back to military time. We don't have a TV and have no plans on adding one.

Quote:
Ours was like that once. It was sagging enough where the left side upper cabinet door wouldn't open past the light. Only happened the one time so I figured I must have had too much force in one of the stabilizers. I added 2 more stabilizers to the center and make sure they are all at about the same force. No problem since.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

2017 BHBE here too. Had it since September. We have some of the same problems- specifically

1- the DVD going on closed captioning every time/blanking on occasion; plus Bluetooth rarely works. Furrion unit is such a piece of garbage.
2- Main door does not close; we have to slam it shut
3- Random Molding/trim pieces have come unglued.
4- Screws falling out of the door hinges under the TV
Camping weekends booked up so trying to find a free time to take it back to the dealer.

Love ours too, but for what we paid, these things are annoying. Used it 20 nights so far.
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #12

2017 28 BHBE as well

I too had some issues one major, one minor. We picked up our rig last October and took it camping two nights right from the dealer for a shake down.

We kept finding water on the floor behind the toilet. The water was coming from the vacuum break valve for the bowl spray system, it has a vent on top and was leaking from there. Dealer did not have the part but submited warranty paperwork and shipped it to my local Jayco dealer for a later repair which went smooth.

The second more critical issue was the wiring for the brakes was ridding against the inner wheel rim. When I returned home I noticed the insulation was missing worn off about one inch of the wire. Jaycos reaction was very nonsilant I was quite disappointed by there reaction to this very serious safety issue. I fixed the wire my self and installed split loom wire sheath over all the wiring under the rig.

There attention to detail is a little disturbing, if you look online at the put together videos that show the manufacturing process you get an idea of the techniques used to slap these things together it surprises me that there are not more things missed.

We love our trailier and will be leaving Friday for our first trip of this season and can't wait, but I'm glad I had some time to straighten things out first.
GWS935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

I previously had a 2014 Jay Flight Swift 198RD which I bought brand new. It was one of those Idaho builds or whatever, not made in their main plant. It was full of issues! Issues that should have been caught during the PDI (like an external electrical outlet not even hooked up) Multiple trips to the dealer to resolve.

I bought my current trailer 1 season used and other than having to upgrade to heavier axles (the two trailers I've owned used the exact same axles and are drastically different in size and weight) I haven't had any real issues at all thankfully.

From my experience in ordering a trailer to be built versus buying one that you can physically see before you buy, I much prefer the latter. I went over my current trailer very closely before I agreed to buy it. I have seen too many people forced into nightmares when they sign on the line before they know what they're getting.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #14

The shower door on my 2017 jayco bhbe and my daughters 2016 bhbe have come off the track and the roller wheels have fallen out. I emailed jayco no response. the dealer costs WAY to much in labor. Who makes the 3 panel door ? I'm looking for a video of some sort. Any help? PLEASE email me at meatbal502@aol.com
Meatbal502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum meatbal. Maybe start a new thread and not bring up a 3 year old one. I wish I could answer your question...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, 28bhbe, manufacturing defects, quality control, warranty