Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Jay Flight 28BHS

We bought our Jay Feather 23BHM new last summer. It was our first trailer and we weren't sure we would enjoy the whole campground thing so we didn't want to overbuy. Besides, we were pulling with an f150. Since then we traded the f150 for an f350 6.2L gas, crew cab, long bed, 3.73 gears (a diesel doesn't go well with my driving habits). As expected the 350 tosses the Feather around like a rag doll.

Fast forward to this summer and it turns out we really do enjoy the camper - we don't go often but always have a great time when we do. Now the wife is thinking we could use a little more room, and maybe a little more luxury in the trailer so she looked around and she's enamored with a Jay Flight 28BHS. It's a pretty sizable step up in length and weight - from the 26' and 5200 empty lbs. of the Feather, to 33' and probably close to 7000 empty lbs. for the Jay Flight (GVWR is 8750 but we'll never come close to that. From our experience now we'll go down the road at about 7500).

So just a couple questions:

Is anyone pulling that sort of weight with a 6.2L and how is the experience (we are in the Appalachians and we stay here in the East).

Are you satisfied with the 28BHS?

Are the water pump and heater readily accessible?

And a stupid question - 1/2 of the bottom bunk flips up and there is a little storage space there. I'm thinking I may be able to fit my dog's bed there. She's about 60 lbs. - am I barking up the wrong tree ?

I would appreciate any information you folks could offer.

P.S. Payload and hitch weight won't be a concern. Also we have a decent WDH already. Last, I'm 62, wife is 50, daughter is 12 - we won't be going to any bigger trailers in the future. If anything, when our girl stops camping with us we'll downsize.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Jay Flight 28BHS

We upgraded from our 2016 Jay Flight 26BH that we custom ordered to our current 2018 Jay Flight 28BHS that was also ordered from the dealer with almost all of the options that we took delivery on in January. We have been very happy with the space in the 28BHS. Love the HUGE shower, extra counter space in the kitchen, large U-shaped dinette, the full outdoor kitchen, full size queen bed and the overall floor plan in general. Not that we go camping to watch TV, but when we do watch it, I also like that the TV is directly across from the couch. Plenty of storage too. I am pretty sure that it’s just under 9,000 lbs loaded up for camp.

The water pump is pretty accessible as it is under the kitchen sink on the floor just to the right, not in front of the cabinet door. The hot water heater is not as easy to get to as it is under the bottom bunk on the back wall of the unit.

The space under the bunk is about 23” wide, 37-1/2” long on the short side, 52” long on the left side and 21-1/2” tall to the bottom of the bunk.

I can’t speak about the Ford F-350 6.2, but I upgraded my 2017 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 to a 2015 RAM 3500 Crewcab with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and there is no issue with power or handling. I have the Reese Strait-line WDH with the dual cam sway control with 1,200 lb bars.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Cheers [emoji482]
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
DKB

Can’t speak to that particular trailer but I know my wife and I upsized to an RETS338 a few months back and love it. The extra room is great, even when it’s just the two of us. As long as your truck can handle it, I believe you’ll enjoy.
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
We upgraded from our 2016 Jay Flight 26BH that we custom ordered to our current 2018 Jay Flight 28BHS that was also ordered from the dealer with almost all of the options that we took delivery on in January. We have been very happy with the space in the 28BHS. Love the HUGE shower, extra counter space in the kitchen, large U-shaped dinette, the full outdoor kitchen, full size queen bed and the overall floor plan in general. Not that we go camping to watch TV, but when we do watch it, I also like that the TV is directly across from the couch. Plenty of storage too. I am pretty sure that it’s just under 9,000 lbs loaded up for camp.

The water pump is pretty accessible as it is under the kitchen sink on the floor just to the right, not in front of the cabinet door. The hot water heater is not as easy to get to as it is under the bottom bunk on the back wall of the unit.

The space under the bunk is about 23” wide, 37-1/2” long on the short side, 52” long on the left side and 21-1/2” tall to the bottom of the bunk.

I can’t speak about the Ford F-350 6.2, but I upgraded my 2017 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 to a 2015 RAM 3500 Crewcab with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and there is no issue with power or handling. I have the Reese Strait-line WDH with the dual cam sway control with 1,200 lb bars.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Cheers [emoji482]

Thanks my friend! That space is the same size as my dog's bed. My old big girl can fit in there if I can just teach her to back in . I won't be loading up to 9000 lbs. so hoping the truck won't be overpowered.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 AM   #5

I have a 27BHS, which is about a 1 1/2' shorter and 500 lbs lighter, and pulled it with a F250 6.2 from NY to Missouri and back without any problems. Liked its gas though.
I can't imagine you having any issues with the F350 and the 6.2 is a solid engine.
Good luck & happy trails

2017 Jayflight 27BHS
2019 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 SCREW 3.5Eco 6.5' bed 3.73 Max Tow & HDPP
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #6

We have the 2018 BHS and we tow with a 2016 Ford F-150 3.6L V6 Ecoboost. Plenty of power to tow. But it sure does suck up the gas while towing haha.

We've had 4 adults and one almost teenager all staying in the trailer at once and we never felt cramped.
carlamacewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
We went form a Flagstaff Shamrock Hybrid, to a 29QB this past Spring. We absolutely love the space in the unit. I have 2 rugrats, 15 and 13 and they like the bunk area. (Not sure how much longer they'll be camping with us). We also have a Greyhound and a nice big bed for her which we keep in the bunk area on top of one of the foldable futons/mattress pad.

I love the fact that this unit has a half door in the bunk area. Comes in handy when packing and unpacking. She is 35' long but only 6500 pounds empty which it's why were able to tow with our Tahoe. I have a Nissan which its being traded for a Silverado 2500HD next week as well.

Anyway, just my 0.02 cents.

I don't have a PhD, but my DD-214 is worth much more.

Live, so that when your children hear the words “Ethics,” “Integrity,” “Honor” or “Trust,” they think of You!
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

This is probably a little late, but just wanted to add, I got this camper in middle of August and pull with 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L Pulls just fine, so I can't imagine you should have any trouble with a 3/4 ton.

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
We bought our Jay Feather 23BHM new last summer. It was our first trailer and we weren't sure we would enjoy the whole campground thing so we didn't want to overbuy. Besides, we were pulling with an f150. Since then we traded the f150 for an f350 6.2L gas, crew cab, long bed, 3.73 gears (a diesel doesn't go well with my driving habits). As expected the 350 tosses the Feather around like a rag doll.

Fast forward to this summer and it turns out we really do enjoy the camper - we don't go often but always have a great time when we do. Now the wife is thinking we could use a little more room, and maybe a little more luxury in the trailer so she looked around and she's enamored with a Jay Flight 28BHS. It's a pretty sizable step up in length and weight - from the 26' and 5200 empty lbs. of the Feather, to 33' and probably close to 7000 empty lbs. for the Jay Flight (GVWR is 8750 but we'll never come close to that. From our experience now we'll go down the road at about 7500).

So just a couple questions:

Is anyone pulling that sort of weight with a 6.2L and how is the experience (we are in the Appalachians and we stay here in the East).

Are you satisfied with the 28BHS?

Are the water pump and heater readily accessible?

And a stupid question - 1/2 of the bottom bunk flips up and there is a little storage space there. I'm thinking I may be able to fit my dog's bed there. She's about 60 lbs. - am I barking up the wrong tree ?

I would appreciate any information you folks could offer.

P.S. Payload and hitch weight won't be a concern. Also we have a decent WDH already. Last, I'm 62, wife is 50, daughter is 12 - we won't be going to any bigger trailers in the future. If anything, when our girl stops camping with us we'll downsize.
We have a 28RLS which is similar size and weight. We are pulling it with a 6.2L gas F-250 with no problems at all. On level roads we're at 1,500 rpm and one fairly steep inclines 2,500 ~ 3,500 rpm at highway speed. Although different models the floor plan is similar and I believe the water heater and water pump are in the same locations (hot water bypass is under the kitchen sink and water pump is behind a panel under the kitchen sink right next to the rear entry door).

Beyond that, enjoy your new trailer!

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #10

I pull my 27BHS with a 2015 6.2 L gasser. TT box is 28’4” long plus ~3’ for TT tongue. Weighs in at 6065 lbs dry with 8250 GWR.
It pulls absolutely fine with no problems whatsoever except it’s thirsty for gas - avg 8-9 MPG when pulling or less if I have a heavy foot

Have never tried to access water pump nor heater so I can’t answer those.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote