Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Jay Flight 29RKS

We're thinking about upgrading from our Swift 264BH to a Jay Flight 29RKS. We no longer need the bunk beds in our present TT because the kids and grand kids rarely come with us any more. They're mid to late teens now and seem to have their own agendas (go figure).

The floor plan of the 29RKS looks like it will work well for us, but before we make the trade, I'd like to hear from anyone who has the 29RKS, and would appreciate an honest evaluation.

Happy camping!

PawPaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

It's a much heavier trailer than what you're dealing with now, so make sure you have the extra payload available on your tow vehicle. You will also need a heavier duty hitch, so keep that in mind for the budget. I would recommend 1200lb bars, since this is a rear kitchen model it keeps the tongue weight lower than other models in this weight class that would need 1400lb bars. Also, if you want the larger water capacity (86gal) you will have to opt for the Elite package which will be a bit more money too. All things to consider.

It's a fantastic floorplan for a couple, very similar to the 5th wheel plans out there. The large gray tank capacity is also a nice feature of this unit. Pretty much double what other trailers in this class are.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #3

Thanks for your input Skybound. No problem with my truck towing the load, and we're considering the Elite package. We're also thinking about getting the second A/C unit in the bedroom and upgrading the standard 13.5KW unit to 15KW since most of our camping in down here in Texas.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Based on your above considerations I would recommend the Thermal Package too. It will help greatly in keeping the heat from the sun out, and perhaps make one 15K air conditioner enough. I'm up in the great white North so I have no idea about this Texas heat you speak of.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

When we upgraded we got the larger A/C unit and the second A/C. We are in AZ but used it quite a bit even in the Midwest this past summer. It was worth the additional cost to us. Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote