Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Jay Flight hot water heater stopped working!?

We have a 2018 Jay Flight model SLX. 26 ft trailer RV. Not used much and we do not go on the road much. Right now it has been parked at a RV park for about 5 months.
The hot water heater worked for a while. Now it does not light up.:help.
When I turned the switch on inside, I hear click sounds coming from the control box located near the burner. No fire is coming on. I tried to light with a long neck lighter, the burner (fire) came on but stopped immediately. As I can recon, it is not a gas delivery issue to the heater. When I called the dealer, he said it could be a control box problem. But I am not sure. The replacement box may cost around $200 from the dealer? I want to rule out any other issues before I replace the control box.
ANY help is appreciated. Thank you
Vpsnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Circuit board. Amazon, 100$. Replace yourself in under 5 minutes. Just went thru this with my new 2018 264bh. Will bring up with the dealer when I try for some warranty work. Keeping the new one for a spare.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #3

Some common things to check:

- clean it out really good / hose it down
- make sure all the connections are seated properly
- does it work on electric?

Those dinosaur boards seem to be the silver bullet to a lot of water heater issues I read about. I plan to purchase one next season just to get ahead of when my board craps out.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

Are the control boards the same for the different models or specific to a given model.
We have gas heat only and not electric.

Also our oven gas burner pilot lamp does not light. I did the procedure as given in the manual and also given on the stove itself. Turn knob, push it down and hold to light the pilot. Did not work. We have not used the oven even a single time yet !?
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
Swami
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Somewhere in this thread is a link to some good troubleshooting of waterheaters.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/dometic-water-heater-79457.html
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #6

Possible that insects (dirt daubers, spiders) have set up housekeeping in the burner tube unless you have an insect screen over the vent.

About the oven, I assume you used the lighter on it while holding the knob down.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Circuit board. Amazon, 100$. Replace yourself in under 5 minutes. Just went thru this with my new 2018 264bh. Will bring up with the dealer when I try for some warranty work. Keeping the new one for a spare.
X2. Exactly what happens when the garbage Zhongding circuit board fails. If it’s still under warranty, get it replaced. If not, the Dinosaur has great reviews. Even having a dealer replace it with a new one should not cost more that about $150. That means someone other than CW.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
X2. Exactly what happens when the garbage Zhongding circuit board fails. If it’s still under warranty, get it replaced. If not, the Dinosaur has great reviews. Even having a dealer replace it with a new one should not cost more that about $150. That means someone other than CW.
DEar Sir:
The Zongding control board I pulled out of our 2018 Jaco Jay Flight SLX has "Atwood P/N 91349.
But I could not find similar board with the same part number on Amazon. Some look similar but different part no. Could you recommend other compatible boards which are NOT make in CHina. I am afraid to order one which looks similar but not the same part no!?
Thank you for your help.
REgards,
vps nathan
Old 11-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #9

I had similar issues. Had stink bugs in the burner tube. Took it off and blew them out. Worked fine after that.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #10

You might have the same thing that happened to me last time out. The Heater would not kick on. I looked at fuses, replaced fuses, and could not find for the life of me what was going on. Before leaving home the heater worked fine. I finally removed the high temp thermo break link to check it, and it looked okay too, so I reconnected back. When I tried the heater again. It came on perfectly, and has been working fine ever since. It must have been some corrosion, or vibrated loose from travel. Give it a look befor buying a control board
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Get on Amazon. In the search section type in "Dinosaur rv water heater board". You should be able to match it up there. These are good boards that many members have used. I'd post a link but I don't know how using windows 10.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Here's the Dinosaur board TC's talking about. Check the description to be sure it's for your water heater. I believe it is indeed for most Atwood heaters.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec.../dp/B0130Y8I1K

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Here's the Dinosaur board TC's talking about. Check the description to be sure it's for your water heater. I believe it is indeed for most Atwood heaters.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec.../dp/B0130Y8I1K
Thanks J, I'll figure it out one of these days!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #14

The one below in Amazon looks very similar to mine with different part no.!
I could not copy and paste the picture here!?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpsnathan View Post
DEar Sir:
The Zongding control board I pulled out of our 2018 Jaco Jay Flight SLX has "Atwood P/N 91349.
But I could not find similar board with the same part number on Amazon. Some look similar but different part no. Could you recommend other compatible boards which are NOT make in CHina. I am afraid to order one which looks similar but not the same part no!?
Thank you for your help.
REgards,
vps nathan
I had a dealer replace ours as we were on the road when it went out. It says Panasonic on it. But the Dinosaur link you posted from Amazon has a pretty long list of compatible water heaters. I’m almost positive ours is a #G6A-6E. Look at your WH on the right inside edge — it’s on the sticker.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #16

I see now your link wasn’t to the Dinosaur board, but the same suggestion applies: Check your WH model number to see if it’s compatible. If it makes you feel better, here’s the supposed Atwood replacement board: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91365-...VQ3W8EHXWQYW62
Old 11-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpsnathan View Post
The one below in Amazon looks very similar to mine with different part no.!
I could not copy and paste the picture here!?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I checked mine — my Atwood WH is #G6A-8E. That’s 6 gallons, electronic ignition. I see it is listed among those in the link you provided.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #18

I used the Dinosaur UIB-64. Works great as the replacement for the Atwood (same WH as LuckyDuck)

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #19

+1 for the Dinosaur board from Amazon. I replaced mine during the height of the board debacle Atwood was having with their OEM control boards and have been working fine ever since.

But only AFTER you're sure you don't have a propane delivery issue. Not being able to light your pilot in the oven may be user error (it's tricky for me still, and I've done it dozens of times), or may be propane delivery problem.

Make sure your propane tank(s) are full, regulator and fittings tight and not leaking, tank valves open (do it SLOWLY to avoid tripping the anti-leak valves) then light stove-top and let it burn for a minute or so. Assuming you have a nice blue flame, then try the propane on the water heater again. If it still fires up and immediately goes out, I would bet you a shiny nickel your control board in the water heater is no good.

Dinosaur board has wide applicability, and is made in US. MANY members here have replaced with this board, and thus have avoided the dealer warranty replacement runaround. Even the replacement boards were bad. Some even went through it 2 or 3 times. For the price (not only cost of the board, but cost of your time/fuel/frustration running back and forth to the dealer), the Dinosaur is a better bet.

My dealer was Camping world, over 2 hours away, and I had read about all the problems Atwood was having with their boards, so purchasing a known dependable aftermarket board was an easy decision for me.

YMMV

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #20

Thank you ALL very much for your help and advice. I ordered the board from Amazon.
Will post about the result after I install it next week.
Gas delivery is good. It fired up with hand lighter. But stopped after 2 seconds. I think the igniter is faulting.

Tags
water heater fault