Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Jay Flight Leaking

My Jay Flight is leaking on the front corner seam near the top running light. Water is coming in the camper in the seam across the back of the closet. In trying to find the leak we made sure to get no water on the roof or on the light. Water only on the front corner. The seal looks fine. How could the water get in? This is a 2013 camper and should not be leaking???
Holllie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

Lots of spots for water to come in at. Check your marker lights. If they have been leaking for a while the screws might show signs of rust. The water can also go through the hole for the wires. I just caulked the front of our 2012, lots of spots that looked like it could leak.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

The lights aren't leaking. They have recently been caulked. It is leaking around the white strip that goes down the corner of the camper? It has a rust spot on the front of the camper? Can't figure out how it can get in. The seal looks fine?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #4

Check under the rubber trim to see if any of the screws are lose or broken.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

We did Hitch Pin and several of the screw were screwed way in by the factory.

My husband thought the screws had a seal behind them??

Here are pictures. Could this be leaking?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

Some of the screws are screwed way in. I posted pictures but they have to be approved by the moderator. Could that possibly be it? My husband said it should have a seal behind it??
Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holllie91 View Post
Some of the screws are screwed way in. I posted pictures but they have to be approved by the moderator. Could that possibly be it? My husband said it should have a seal behind it??
When the pictures are posted then maybe I will be more able to help you.

He is right there should be putty tape behind the trim, when you look at the side of the trim where it goes on to the trailer, does the putty have any gaps or cracks?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 AM   #8

Unfortunately your camper could leak almost anywhere and have it show up in a different spot. If that is the low corner when you park, the leak could be as far as the opposite back corner and is running inside your camper to where you noticed water.

Your absolute best bet is to spend a little money ($100-$200) and have it pressure tested by your dealer. That is the only way to confirm EXACTLY where your leak is. It sucks to spend a little extra cash now, but it could very easily save you thousands of dollars in repairs if it is a big leak.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #9

We only put water on that one corner where the seal is and the water comes in? We know it is coming in on the corner just cant figure out where?

Hopefully my pictures will post soon.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

I posted two of my pictures in a photo album on here.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
I posted two of my pictures in a photo album on here. Is it possible for you to see them in my photos?
Yes, I took a look at them, I would say that's where it's leaking. Looks like the screws have been drove in to deep and have cut through the comer molding. If it was me, I would put some Caulking over the screw head and make sure it was sealed good, then run water over it again to see if it's still leaking, then go from there.

Hope this help's
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #12

If the camper is a 2013 model, it should still be under warranty. Jayco has two year warranty. Take it back to the dealer.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #13

I already have an appt to have it looked at but not until Sept. We have another problem that we were getting fixed so this will just add to it? It has been one thing right after another with this camper. I guess I call them and tell them about this. The whole front of the camper has to come off anyway so I don't guess this will be an issue??
Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
I already have an appt to have it looked at but not until Sept. We have another problem that we were getting fixed so this will just add to it? It has been one thing right after another with this camper. I guess I call them and tell them about this. The whole front of the camper has to come off anyway so I don't guess this will be an issue??
Why does the whole front of the camper have to come off?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #15

When the camper was built they ran a nail from the inside to the outside near the corner metal near where it's leaking. They undoubtably covered it with caulk and it came off. We had no idea until we found the first water. My guess is it has been leaking since day one on the corner. When the caulk came off the nail it got much worse. I sent pictures to Jayco and it will be covered under warranty. I guess I will pull all the plastic strips off the screws to make sure this is the only corner with a problem. The dealership I'm going to said they would probably have to rebuild the front?? I won't go back to the dealership I purchased it at. Having to drive two or three hours to another state. Whoever the workers were that built my unit should be fired. First time I rolled the slide out a side window shattered and of course it wasn't covered under warranty. A year later I still have metal shavings and wood shavings blowing out when the heat or air come on. We camp at least once a month so you'd think that should be done by now. Oh well, thanks for all your help with this.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #16

Leak

You should be under warranty and the place to start is your dealer and if no satisfaction go directly to Jayco Customer Service with pictures. When dealing with your Dealer and Jayco, remember that "honey" will get you more than "vinegar" so tread lightly. I was 1 year plus 6 months past my warranty and Jayco rebuilt my entire front end and replaced one strip of metal on the left side
as a "Goodwill Measure" due to concealed water damage. P/M me if you are interested in hearing the whole story.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

The dealership I am going to has been super nice. I emailed pictures and they got the work approved through Jayco without me making the long drive. I won't ever step foot on the selling dealers lot again. I will drive two hours to never deal with those people again. Where was your concealed water damage? That is interesting!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #18

What type caulk do you use on the side corners to stay within warranty? The manual says to use what is already on it but that is some sort of tape that has smushed out everywhere? I still have a good bit of warranty left so I don't want to mess that up.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #19

Leak

Wal Mart sells a big roll of putty tape that I use. It is in the section where they sell Mobile Home repair items near the paint section. Also, you need to check the roof seam where the top piece of metal joins the roof and if not mentioned before check the running light mounts. Remove the lens cover and look for any signs of rust.

HNK
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #20

Lights are caulked well and roof is great? One of those freak things I guess. It goes in early next month for repairs.