Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Jay Flight side panel corrosion

I have a 2010 22FB and noticed that 2 of the sheet metal panels are corroding away and I now have a couple holes. Does anyone have any idea what maybe causing these? I have attached 2 photos.

SCFD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Corrision

Yeah, In My Humble Opinion (IMHO) you have the same problem I have had on my 2009 BHDS Jayco. You are getting moisture behind your siding. Determining from where is the problem. I have had 2 areas (entire left front side wood support structure rot and left front lower corner of slide out. The answer is replacement of wood supports and corroded metal.

Jayco's 1st line of defense is that you haven't done your required caulking and there is no out of warranty support. Don't buy it. I bought my trailer new in Feb 2010 and my dealer (after I didn't accept Jayco's initial denial of Out of Warranty, no support) assisted me with Jayco in arranging an In Plant Repair during Jul 2013 at their facility in Middleburg near Elkhart, IN. As a Goodwill guester, Jayco rebuilt the front of my trailer and replaced a defective
Motor/Actautor on my rear slide. The only hook was my expense of taking the trailer to IN and dropping it for approx 3 weeks and then going back to pick it up (approx 750 miles) each trip.

Over all it was a pleasant experience and Jayco treated us very nicely.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

corrosion on slides

Where is your heater exhaust??Is it next to or in between the 2 slides?? We are located in a campground and have noticed that people with the Jay Flights seem to be having the same problem.
For us Jaycos customer service stupidvisor insisted it was water damage even though the service tech (whom we paid $265 to come out) said he found no evidence of water damage and agreed that it was most likely from the heater vent.
The worst part is that the corrosion doesn't happen until the warranty is expired.
Seems this is a problem that needs addressed by Jayco.
wjmiles60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

corrision on slides

As this is an old post (7/2014) I wonder what the resolution was to this issue? IMHO, I think the $285.00 Tech blew some smoke you know where in this case. I think it is definitely water damage and not from the heater vent. Where is the heater vent located in relation to the damage?
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Our last camper, a 2012 26BH, had corrosion starting in the front left corner. There was never a leak anywhere and there was no vent or furnace exhaust anywhere close. What caused the corrosion is the dealer hauling the camper to an early March show and never washing it correctly when they got back to the dealership. It was hauled in the salt/sand of the NE winter! We bought it in August and when I found the hose connecting the 2 fresh water tanks leaking, I crawled under and found the entire underside covered in salt spray still! It was wet to the touch. Every metal surface was covered in rust!

Took it to the dealer and they had it repaired under warranty. The camper was only 1 year old when the corrosion started.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Why would water damage the siding? To me, it looks like something corrosive got on it.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

On mine, it wasn't the water alone. It was a mix of road salt and water. It was hauled when the roads were covered in salt and sand.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #8

No water damage. the vent is in between the slides at the same level as the corrosion
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #9

Ours was 2 years old when we noticed it.