Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

JAY FLIGHT SLX 7 154BH Tow Vehicle Question

Dear all users!

First of all thanks a lot to you guys and the forum for all the great resources! You already saved me a lot of headaches!

I would like to purchase a new Jay Flight SLX 7 154BH Travel Trailer, but I have questions about the ability of my tow vehicle to keep up with it. Maybe you guys can give me the answer, so I can have some peace of mind, in either direction!

As stated by the Jayco website this are the specs of the TT:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 2645lb
Dry Hitch Weight: 335lb
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3450lb

And now for the towing vehicle, I have a 2019 Dodge Durango WITHOUT the towing package, so unfortunately I have the following specs:

Towing capacity: 3500lb
Max Hitch weight: 350lb
Max cargo load: 1200lb

I believe my max payload in the car will be as follows:

2 Adults + 2 kids = 500lb
Currently kids only weight 50lb combined (1 & 3 yo + 2car seats ), I am giving some additional 50lb for the next few years...
Equipment = 200lb

Which hopefully leaves enough room for the hitch around 500lb.

Towing capacity, according to other posts, should be probably underpowered but well within the specs let's say 500lb of equipment which give us a towing weight of 3150lb below the 3500lb rating.

The big problem I have is the hitch weight. Dry hitch weight is 335lb + battery + gas tank will go pass the 350lb car limit I have.

Anyone with a similar TT+TV combo that can share his/her experience?

Will a Weight Distribution system help me out here? Or the weight of the system will already defeat the purpose?

Thanks a lot !

Jordi
jmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #2

This might be of some help. I have a 2013 Jay Flight Swift SLX 154bh and tow it with a 2013 Toyota Siena 3.5l 6 cyl. Two adults, no kids or pets. I did get the towing pkg which is roof rack with bars, larger radiator, engine oil cooler and fan. I also added, and highly recommend a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars. Have towed it all over even mtns in TN, WV and NC without ever a problem swaying or overheating. My trailer unloaded wt is 2540, dry hitch wt 305, GVWR 3200, cargo capacity 660, towing cap 3500, max hitch wt 260, and max cargo 1050. We use full hook up sites so to lighten the load we always travel with empty tanks. I don't presume to tell you your proposed setup is OK, but it looks fine to me, and I'm very cautious when it comes to towing. I also try to avoid interstates and always try to keep my speed to 55 max. Two tires don't give you much margin for error. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jordi,

Welcome to JOF

Little late to the thread..........

One question for clarification: Your TV's "Max Hitch weight: 350lb", was that specified as "with" or "without" the use of a WDH (Weight Distribution versus Weight Carrying)?

The published UVW stated on Jayco's web site (2,645lbs) doesn't reflect the actual "as-shipped" UVW as stated on the 'yellow sticker' found on the side of the TT. In the case of a SLX 7 154BH I found two yellow sticker 'as-shipped' UVW's of 2,804lbs and 2,854lbs (advertised dealer inventory units).

Ignore the 'published' dry Hitch Weight of 335lbs, best to think in terms of "loaded" weights:

Scenario #1: 154BH loaded to 3,450lbs GVWR = 448lb to 518lb (13% to 15%) recommended "loaded" tongue weight range.

Scenario #2: (2,800lb UVW 'as-shipped' + 500lb cargo) = 3,300lbs gross = 429lbs to 495lbs loaded tongue weight range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarin View Post
snip......Will a Weight Distribution system help me out here?....snip
IMO it won't based on data provided. A WDH won't change a TV's specified weight limits (ie; Max. hitch weight, etc.), and the TT's loaded tongue weight placed on the hitch ball remains fairly constant during the WDH's re-distribution of weight removed from the TV's rear axle.

However, a WDH when sized and properly adjusted with a compatible TV/TT combination will provide enhanced TV handling, especially in less than ideal towing conditions. Also, single axle TT's tend to be a little more 'reactive' thus the use of a WDH is highly recommended.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote