Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #1

Jay Flight SLX 7 195 RB generator placement

We will be picking up our new SLX7 195 RB this weekend. (First trailer! Finally upgrading from tent camping.). I’m Looking for advice on generator placement, both while we are hauling and when we are set up. We are planning on getting a Honda EU 2200i with a propane conversion and are having the tongue setup to hold two propane tanks. Looking for a solution that would avoid having to store the generator inside the trailer or our SUV while we travel.

I was thinking about getting a traveler tray that mounts over the propane tanks. But we would need to move the generator while it is running because this is directly outside the window over the bed. Wherever it goes it needs to have a propane hook up as we want to avoid using gasoline if possible. Is it possible to put in an external propane connection towards the back of the trailer? Various internet posts say the rear bumper is not sturdy enough to mount a tray with the generator. Also, it would be a bright red target for theft.

Any solutions or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
MitchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #2

Well, I have been thinking the same thing for our 195 RB but have not yet pulled the trigger. My idea is pretty much the same and I think it will work. Traveler tray with a security mechanism to lock the genny to. Propane hook up that is at least 15' long and when in use set it up away from the TT.

Not seeing any boondocks in my immediate future so have been holding off of the project.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Just be careful with tounge weight. Dual propane tanks with carrying rack and the generator will add significantly to the tongue weight, make sure your TV can take it. I have dual 30lbs on my 195rb, takes forever to drain one let alone 2.
DarryfromOntary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Because of tongue weight and limited cargo capacity on the 195 we never added a second tank and carry the genny in our truck. We use the older Honda eu 2000i. It has worked well for four years. We get about three weeks out of one 20 lb tank of propane unless it is furnace time.

Personally I would mount nothing on the rear bumper. Its quite flimsy and again weight back there adds to sway potential.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Our genny fit nicely under the shelf in the closet of our 195. Right next to the door, easy in and out access.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

Thanks! I am keeping an eye on tongue weight. We will be out for 3 days this summer at a site with minimal facilities and the AC is a must for the wife. If it is really hot one propane tank won’t cut it. (I’m adding a hard start capacitor kit to the AC so we can stick with the single generator)

The Honda 2200i is small enough that I might be able to fit it next to the battery behind the tanks without the carrying rack or move the battery just inside to mount under the bed to free up space on the tongue. We have an SUV so there is no other place for the gen that is not inside. (Won’t be able to play with sizing for a while. The 2200i is on recall by Honda to fix a potential leak in the gas shut off valve and distributors are waiting for the parts before they can shop out more units)
MitchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #7

https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com/ Had some cool setups when I saw them at an RV expo a few years back. I’m not so sure I’d want mine mounted in the rear just for the fact I can’t see it if something goes amiss while driving. I like the security of the setup though and the modular way you can customize them.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #8

I carry our Ryobi 1800/2300 just inside the door of our SLX 267BHSW, which puts the weight in front of the trailer axles, but only about half way between axles and tongue, but I could carry it inside right over the axles if I needed to minimize added tongue weight. When camped, I use a Kryptonite bike cable lock to lock it to the trailer frame at the rear, and store it under the rear of the trailer when it's not in operation to keep it from getting rained on. It's not a propane model, but if it was, I could hook into the grill propane adapter that's already mounted under the rear bumper of the trailer. For what it's worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #9

195 owner here. You want to carry a generator on a 195? When I saw the title of your thread my first thought was "right on the ground next to the trailer near the shore power hookup".

As others have said, the rear bumper is flimsy, and like you I have a dual propane setup. That left me no room for any other battery than the Group 24 battery box, so where would that leave room for the generator? (see my pic, note that I couldn't even get the propane cover on straight due to the lack of room).

Not bashing you at all (I'm fascinated by the idea), I'm curious to see what you come up with.

My generator would definitely NOT fit anywhere except for on the ground next to the trailer. Or maybe still in my truck bed if the cable is long enough. Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
20200112_165050.jpg  
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator placement