Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #1

Jay Flight SLX ground clearance concern with standard axle and tires

Hello,

I am looking at ordering a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw and was wondering whether to order the standard configuration or the Baja edition??

I seem to come across a fair number of posts mentioning low ground clearance with the Jay Flight SLX in a standard configuration. I don’t do any offroading and stay on mainly paved or graveled roads but do go up and down inclined switch backs and driveways.

It comes standard with 14” wheels and ST tires. I don’t really want the larger propane tanks and 16” LT off road tires nor the extra cost of a Baja edition but would order it if hitting the back end of the trailer is going to be a common problem. I will order the thermal option so would already be getting an enclosed underbelly.

I have read about ordering Dexter axle conversion kits to gain some ground clearance but do you have to replace all the 14” tires if you install the conversion kit??

Thanks in advance
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I have had no issues whatsoever with ours, like you, i stay on paved roads as much as possible, and my driveway is also on a slight incline. Wife watches when we pull out to make sure nothing is contacting the ground ..... just in case, because depending on the cargo i'm hauling in back of truck, it's always slightly different. My opinion, the lower the trailer on the road, the less the wind can play games with it!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
Site Team

I have the Baja edition on my 22BHM. We intentionally purchased it since we are boondocking almost every weekend. The additional ground clearance is excellent for our application.

With that said, this unit is unwieldy at times. It is a light trailer to begin with, it is rear heavy due to its layout, and the added height (my level hitch height is 28+") makes for an interesting towing experience at times. Now I do like the larger tires.

It is definitely a trade off. I would buy this package again in a heartbeat for how we use the trailer. But if we were smooth road campground regulars, I may have a different opinion.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

We recently came out of a 22ft toy hauler with 15" rims. I thought it had decent clearance. Our new 212slx looks very similar going up and down our driveway. I have always carriedone some 5ft 2x6s just in case.
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Jayco website shows a 4 1/4" height increase with the Baja edition on that trailer. (from 127 1/2" to 131 3/4" total exterior height)

Agree that the extra height can't help handling, wind resistance or effect of crosswind while towing. But, if you are at risk of bottoming out, could be very helpful.

Any details on the factory "off road tires"? Are these LT tires or still ST? I know some of the fifth wheel crowd prefers LT tires for an assumption of higher quality. That could be a deciding factor for some folks too.

I'm having the same internal debate as the OP, and still no decision.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Mine came with LT tires.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

The preference for LT tires is due to the speed ratings of most ST tires. LT tires have a much higher rating.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

I have the exact same model as the OP is contemplating.

Yes it sits higher...quite a bit actually. 17" from the roadway to the bottom of the sewer drain cap.

16" E rated LT tires
2 30# lb tanks
80 gallons of fresh
Flipped axles.
3 step entry steps

It is a basic trailer with few included amenities.
Price was right.....$20K new.
Shoddy construction and poor workmanship in several areas.
Poorly insulated.

Never had a problem with the increased height other than I had to get the roof AC changed out to a low profile model to fit in my garage.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

I have a 2012 SLX (BH154), which came out before the Baja versions. In order to avoid bottoming out on driveways, curbs, etc., (and some off roading), I had my dealer do a "spring over", which involved mounting the springs to the top of the axle. The cost was $200. It solved my clearance problems.
Kent Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Drummond View Post
I have a 2012 SLX (BH154), which came out before the Baja versions. In order to avoid bottoming out on driveways, curbs, etc., (and some off roading), I had my dealer do a "spring over", which involved mounting the springs to the top of the axle. The cost was $200. It solved my clearance problems.
I am contemplating doing this to our 145RB. Did you notice any difference with towing the higher trailer? Thanks
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

No. It seems to tow just fine.
Kent Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote