Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #1

Jay Flight Swift 281BHS...going to purchase and have ?'s

Hello! This is my first post here. We just sold our Starcraft expandable trailer and have been looking for a 2010 or better TT that fits a family of five under 31'. After looking at used units and not finding too much, I think we found it!
Opinions needed please. For a new 2014 with the double bunk bed option and the chil n' stor option, we were quoted a price of $17,093 with no trade. We think this is a fair deal and would like the opinion of Jayco owners out there.

Also, our tow vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 crew cab with the tow package. I believe we can tow 9500 lbs. I know this TT is within our tow range. We need to know about sway bar systems. We were offered one from the dealer for $850. I found some on Craigslist used for $200-300. One is a 1200lb weight distribution kit, and one is a 1700lb kit. Would either of these work?

Thanks for any answers! Hoping to buy this unit this week and get to know the Jayco family:clap:
Supermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #2

If you have been reading this forum you know the first question will be have you actually weighed your truck with a full tank of fuel and the family inside? My concern for you is your TV GVWR, that 1/2 ton may be a little short of payload once you take into consideration your family with stuff, hitch and TT tongue weight. Although your truck may specify 9500 tow rating, the real issue typically is payload.

Of course you'll need a WD hitch. IMO you should buy it new so you know how it has been taken care of. A 1200 lb WD hitch wouldn't be unreasonable. The 281 pretty easily can approach 850-900 lb of tongue weight. I can't comment on price since you never specified style or brand. I use the Husky Centerline with great results. I prefer the WD with integrated sway control not those that require a separate friction sway control.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

We pull a 31BHS with a 2013 4x4 dodge Ram 5.7. We travel with it about 25,000 a year. No problems with truck or trailer. We use a WDH and sway bar. Fuel mileage around 9 but its better than a motel and Denny's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermom View Post
Hello! This is my first post here. We just sold our Starcraft expandable trailer

and have been looking for a 2010 or better TT that fits a family of five under 31'. After looking at used units and not finding too much, I think we found it!
Opinions needed please. For a new 2014 with the double bunk bed option and the chil n' stor option, we were quoted a price of $17,093 with no trade. We think this is a fair deal and would like the opinion of Jayco owners out there.

Also, our tow vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 crew cab with the tow package. I believe we can tow 9500 lbs. I know this TT is within our tow range. We need to know about sway bar systems. We were offered one from the dealer for $850. I found some on Craigslist used for $200-300. One is a 1200lb weight distribution kit, and one is a 1700lb kit. Would either of these work?

Thanks for any answers! Hoping to buy this unit this week and get to know the Jayco family:clap:
ReconMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

HI supermom we have a 2006 29bhs they have changed the designation but the floor plan is the same. We love the layout very much With only one child it leaves a lot of room as far as the chill and store option I believe that you would be better of getting the double bunk bed with and upper single for one you will be losing a lot of storage space that is under the lower bunk bed this is where we keep all the outside tables and chairs along with some games and awning equipment.
If you have 3 kids this will allow you to sleep one on the top bunk one on the lower bunk and one on the pull out sofa which is rather comfortable It is a big hassle to always clear off the table to turn it into a bed As far as your tow vehicle we tow ours with a 2008 f-150 with a 5.4 liter triton engine it also has the tow package on it I would say that for this size of a trailer it is unfortunately a little under powered but for only a couple of weeks a year it dose just fine you are looking at about 8mpg per gallon on the highways as far as a sway bar $800 is a lot of money go to e-trailer and take a look also we have the friction sway control and yes it’s not the best way to go hope you have great adventures
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote