Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #1

Jay flight vs whitehawk ?

Besides looks of the fibreglass on whitehawk any strucual differance between jay flight and whitehawk. Looking at 26bh but also like the 25bh whitehawk , wonder if it's worth the price differance ?
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Don't forget that fiberglass sidewalls are an option on the JayFlight, that includes the seamless windows. I have that option and so far really like it. Easy to clean and looks good.....but does add some weight.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

This has been discussed a few times. There are lots of little differences, the sum of which might sway you one way or another. Instead of trying to recall all the differences here are a couple threads discussing this....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight+whitehawk
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight+whitehawk
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

I don't care for laminated walls and why I bought the Jay flight. I've seen new Jay feathers on the dealers lot delaminating. I certainly never want to have to worry about that issue.

The walls are different between the Jay flight laminated walls and the White Hawk laminated walls. Jay Flight still uses wood studs to laminate the Styrofoam, luan, and fiberglass skin while the White Hawk uses the more common aluminum. Aluminum has it faults. Unless it has a wood core, cabinets are harder to install on them and they conduct cold to the inside wall better than wood.

If you have to worry about the wood rotting from leakage, whether it would be aluminum framing or wood studs, the wall is trashed and will be delaminating anyhow.

I also prefer the higher ceiling heights of the Jay Flights. To me, this is a major positive. I also love the huge fresh water tanks of the Jay Flights. Mine is 84 gallon plus the 6 gallon water heater for 90 gallons of fresh water!!!

I really prefer Stick and Tin build although it's heavier.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. https://www.flickr.com/photos/12138625@N02/sets/72157632151282946/
Mike Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakattack View Post
Besides looks of the fibreglass on whitehawk any strucual differance between jay flight and whitehawk. Looking at 26bh but also like the 25bh whitehawk , wonder if it's worth the price differance ?
Differences in construction:

The Whitehawk is considered a lightweight trailer, while the Jayflight is not. The Jayflight has a wood frame, while the WH has aluminum. The Jayflight also has a 5/8" plywood floor with 2x3 wooden joists 16"" on center. Many liteweight trailers have a foam and luan sandwich floor with marginal under support. But the WH floor construction detail description on Jayco`s website is a bit confusing as it reads:

"Jayco prides itself on building a solid foundation. We use 5/8" tongue and groove plywood flooring. Backed by computer monitoring and constant quality control checks, White Hawk's vacuum-bonded floor delivers long-lasting durability."

I`m not sure what they mean by a 5/8 plywood floor that is vacuum bonded.

WH wall construction:

Wall Construction
The walls are vacuum bonded using 15-18 minutes of 144 tons of pressure to ensure a strong bond.
Lightweight materials, like welded aluminum frames with metal backers, and White Hawk's innovative, aerodynamic profile increase towability.

Jayflight floor

Floor Construction
Constructed on 5/8" tongue-and-groove plywood on 2" x 3" wooden floor joists and wrapped with a protective moisture barrier, Jay Flight is built to keep the elements out.
Jay Flight also features two-sided Flexfoil insulation in flush-floor slideout floors.

Jayflight walls:

Wall Construction
Jayco hand tucks and glues its fiberglass insulation to increase the insulation value near the 2" x 2" wooden studs. Competitors use a blanket-insulation technique.
Extra-wide corner seals: Prevents leaks on the corner molds, baggage and entrance doors and window seals

There are many owners of each type here on the forum and for the most part they are very satisfied with their choice.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

We have had a Jay Flight and currently have a White Hawk. The Jay Flight closest to our floor plan is the 26RLS which appears to be in its last year. It is about 400lbs heavier than the White Hawk and is probably a little more substantial in build.

Floor plan is the most important thing to consider between these two products.
We wanted the table and chairs option not offered in the 26RLS. And the entertainment center is larger. We have 39" TV in ours. Also bath totally separates bedroom from living area.

The main thing that I don't like about the White Hawks is there is no table space under the bedroom wardrobes. The White Hawks have a lower front profile. However the amount of space in the pass thru storage space in the White Hawk is much greater than the Jay Flight.

You won't go wrong with either. Check out the threads that clubhouse has listed.

And welcome to the JOF!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Hey guys thanks for your info and links !!!! I have been looking for a while now . Was going to buy last spring but never did for different reasons,but we regret not buying. That was an other summer gone with no camping with kids. So before the season arives I will have one. Couple brands I am looking at but jayco seems to be the one I think. It was the first trailers we looked at.

Thanks again..
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

We have the 26BH and love it. Our other trailer was a 19H Jayfeather, with the luan floor construction. In less than a year of owning it our floor had many soft spots (no water leaks etc). I am not sure if this is common with all luan floor but ours was pretty noticeable. It was actually due to return to Jayco from our dealer here in Ontario to have the floor replaced and we decided to trade it in on a 2014 26BH. We are so happy with our current trailer. Our floor seems so much more sturdy than the 19H. We love the size and the storage! Our son loves having his own bunk area. Good luck in your search.