Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Jay Flight w/ Fiberglass Sidewalls

After selling our '12 Jay Feather X19H this past summer we are working on deciding on our next trailer. After looking at other brands I have once again come back to Jayco. We are moving up to a Bunkhouse for our growing Son and extra room to bring friends with us. After having our Jay Feather I want to stay with the Fiberglass exterior and Aluminum Frame if possible.

Although we want to move up to a Bunkhouse I really did not want to go real big with a new trailer (height, length and weight) after having our Jay Feather Hybrid with the Torsion Axles it allowed us to get in some tight areas as we generally camp in State Parks and like to tuck back in wooded spots but to have a floor flush slide the trailers are higher with leaf springs on top of a solid axle so have no real choice on the height so trying to keep the length down. We have considered the Jay Feather 26BHSW (best option for height, length and weight but still tight on interior space as only the couch slides out a couple feet) and 25BH (2016 MYR) which appears so new there are no photos anywhere on the Internet I could find, the Whitehawk 28DSBH and the Jay Flight 26/27 BHS and 28BHBE, progressively getting longer and heavier.

Towing of any of these trailers is no issue as when I had to replace my tow vehicle this summer after I was was hit in my Expedition EL and it was totaled I made the decision to move up to a '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.2 so my TV would not be an issue going forward.

After weighing all the options we really like the Jay Flight 28BHBE floor plan the best primarily for the Slide End Windows, U Dinette, Bunk Setup with Ladder and the large Shower. It does not fit our smallest trailer with bunks plan but in the long run would have everything we would like and keep us from getting 2 foot itis later on.

Can anyone tell me if a Jay Flight is ordered with the Fiberglass sides are they Aluminum Framed / Vacuum Bonded like the Jay Feather / Whitehawk?

Or is the Jay Flight still all wood framed with the Fiberglass sides attached in some way to the wood frame?

If they are still wood framed is that an issue?

Any info or insight from current owners of a Jay Flight with Fiberglass sides as to pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thank You...
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

On the jay flight they are still stick with a fiberglass outside. But it is still a different process on the Eagles and the white hawks.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

We own the 28BHBE. It has been one of my favorite units out of the ones we've owned. Yes it is wood framed, but the fiberglass is installed in more of a hung fashion, not laminated. Aluminum has it's great selling points, but has it's downside too. I prefer wood framed and hung walls, so I'm the odd ball. This can be debated for pages, but no need. If you have a leak in an aluminum framed laminated trailer, you will have major problems. If you have a leak in a wood framed hung wall or aluminum sided trailer, you will have major problems.

Point is, pick what you like, take care of it, and it will take care of you. Ever notice most of your high dollar full time rigs were wood framed? Think Excel, Teton Homes etc. Can't remember which one, but one used aluminum framing, with wood stud inserts. Best of both worlds.

I actually wanted the aluminum sides where I could make major repairs in my own shop if need be, but the one I have was sitting there, just arrived, and had what I wanted on it, so I bought it with the fiberglass sides.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

We too have a '16 28BHBE. We were mainly drawn to it because of the layout. It works very well for family adventures. So far we love it - no complaints yet, but we have only used it a few times this fall.

I will say, though... ITS BIG. Long. Heavy. Tall. Its called a 28, but from tongue to spare tire it is more like 33-34'. Compared to your prior unit it will be a monster. I have not took it to an actual camp ground yet, but I can see where it will be a bit of a challenge sneaking into some sites. Weight wont be an issue with your new tow rig (congrats by the way!), but it is basically 7000lb empty. I wish they had close to the same layout in a much smaller unit, but yeah I guess that really isn't possible.

You wont be disappointed with it... at least we haven't been yet!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Hung walls aren't pinch rolled. A true hung wall is glued only to the wall framing members. Forest River Cedar Creek and silverback are true hung wall construction. A plus for the Jayco Jay Flight fiberglass front walls is that they're vacuum boned as opposed to just rolling the front filon over the studs and then fastening only the perimeter. That can lead to puckering.

2. An optional fiberglass package offers a smooth, sleek
look; front walls are vacuum-bonded for added durability,
while the sidewalls and rear walls are pinch rolled, for an
affordable combination
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

We have the 28BHBE with fiberglass walls and love it. Went for the fiberglass for the smooth slick look as it looks less "trailer" (personal choice) No problems after more than a year so far. Yes it is a large TT and shipped weight was 7189lbs. She tows very well and maneuvers very easily into snug sites. We alway opt for campsites that are good for u its to 32' long and have had no issues getting in to them. The floor plan is excellent, the large shower is a big + and the grandchildren love the bunks. (The Denver matress sucks tho. Why Jayco brags about it I don't know). We have only had a few fit and finish issues that were taken care of by our dealer. So far no issues with tires either. We have had no issues with the wood frame construction and the fiberglass is smooth with no bubbles. (I have seen a new Coleman TT going down the street and the delamination on it was horrible to see). In all, the first 14 months have gone very well. I am sure you will be happy with a 28BHBE.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Just got our new Jay Flight after a 3+ month wait. It has a wood frame and fiberglass walls. We traded in a 2013
White Hawk that was nothing but trouble for us. We decided after over 25 problems with it that we would trade up. We were talked into a Jay Flight as we were told they are built much better than the Hawk. On our first trip we had the "normal" problems of leaking water pump, bed shocks (that hold the bed up for access to the storage) that malfunctioned and would not allow the bed to lower. Table that rocked, and the killer, the bed broke loose and fell into the storage compartment. I tried to return the trailer for a refund and was told NO. Before I took the unit in for the warranty work I did a complete inspection of the trailer and found that Jayco has made the newer trailers look pretty at the expense of safety and strength. This trailer is no better than the Hawk. I was told that Jayco was aware of the bed problem and never told anyone. It appears that they changed from a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch bed support to a 3/8 inch thick support. I bet they saved a few pennies on that move. NEVER again will I own a Jayco.
tommarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

Not a very good reason to go chase after another brand just to find even more issues. Think maybe you need to join a few more forums. I'm not brand loyal to Jayco at all, but I do like the thing. Just fix the dang thing to your liking. That's what I have always done, and did to this one. 2 fridges had issues, ditched them and put a residential in. Poorly installed swivel TV, ditched it and put a nice solid wall in with 2 TVs, warping molding on sides, replaced with way better for little money, bed frame still to be rebuilt and insulated, but it'll be done soon, and I could go on and on. All done in my shop. It's better than you can get on the lot now. Heck I had more problems with my $100k plus Tiffin. Care to see my list from our 40' Cedar Creek, including rotted slide floor and 3 front caps? Supposed to be top notch right? I understand your frustration, but having owned all types good and bad, I just fix them better than original, save my fuel money opposed to taking it back to dealer, instead of sitting around bickering about how they suck and won't own another.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

Well Big John.... If you read the original post the people asked for information from current owners. I am sure they were not looking for some one to sit around the fire and sing camp songs. I do have experience with rv units. I have owned over a dozen from 9 different mfg. Many did have problems, but 3 had NO problems. I realize every (almost) rv will have some issues, but not all like you stated. My post was meant to help MIFL. I am sorry if my honesty bothers you, but I hope the requesters will read my post and avoid un needed problems.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Yep, I read it. It's really hard to base a decision off of forum feed back, even though they asked. My thing is, if they avoid Jayco, then go to FR, avoid them due to similar post, go to Keystone, avoid them due to similar post, etc etc. Eventually, you're going to say all of them suck and get out of it all together. Like you, I've owned several, but eventually figured out how to do all of my own work and just fix them instead of worrying too much about it. Don't like seeing people scared away by some posts. I like seeing resolutions to problems and making things better.
Doesn't always seem the manf. wants to make it better, so we do.

Your honesty doesn't bother me, I've been in the oilfield a long time. Sorry I hit your nerves.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #11

After posting this thread I did some more research (I know… should have done it first) and found many other threads on my question so have some decisions to make if I go with the Jay Flight. After spending the last 3 years (I know not as many as some) camping in our JayFeather and researching and looking at many trailers I plan to go with another Jayco, the decision is only which one. If I could I would like to look at a Northwood Mfg product but being on the East Coast that is not an option.

Thank You all for your input including those of you who have a 28BHBE. I know it is a big trailer, which is not something I really wanted, but to get that layout you have no option no matter what brand you go with. We had looked at and have been in a 28BHBE before but could not go that big at the time as our Expedition EL could not tow it (on paper it "could" but I would not have done it), now that I have my F250 it is an option.

We were lucky with our JayFeather and did not have any serious issues that were related to Jayco but with all trailers it was thrown together and you could tell in some areas. I went all through it including the underbelly checking all connections and having to repair some and tie up all the low hanging wires underneath. I tore out all the wood panels in the cabinets that covered all the hidden areas so I could inspect them, finding some issues I fixed myself. They are not like automobiles where you can safely assume everything is fairly correct, the QC is much different.

One major thing I looked at the last time I looked at the Jay Flights and Whitehawk was how the spring perches were mounted to the frame, I was not impressed and thought no way would I want one, hopefully they have beefed it up. This is why I really preferred the torsion axles bolted through the frame of our JayFeather. The salespeople think I am crazy because the first place I look is under the trailer but that is the most important because if you can't safely get where you are going it does not matter what the inside looks like.

tommarum… I do appreciate your input and honesty and noticed the same issue with the bed bases on a 26BHSW we looked at, as an example the little piece of wood that held the bed ram end was broken, my wife made comment that we should not get that particular trailer because it was broke (there were 2 identical ones we could choose from) but I already knew no matter if we got that one or one that the piece was not broken on I was going to have to beef that up no matter what along with many other items.

That all being said as much as we pay for these RV's these situations should not happen and the pennies they "save" do not make for happy customers sometimes.

BigJohnD… I appreciate all your input, I am with you on no matter what sometimes we have to fix their issues ourselves and will always do a better job then the factory or the dealer will do. I was watching an Extreme RV show and they were at Forks RV building a custom Continental Coach 5th wheel (so big they are towed by Big Rigs) and noticed they were building it with all wood framing and I thought to myself, wouldn't Aluminum be better, they are also Fiberglass sided. Maybe not… as you said it's all about maintenance and taking care of it to try to prevent leaks when possible.

This same situations goes with many items we purchase… I am going through an issue with a brand new ARE Truck Cap I just spent 3 G's on and now after the dealer was having issues mounting it, like the cap itself is tweaked, 2 poor fitting leaking windows, the back glass door that does not latch correctly and shifts sideways when closing (because I believe the cap itself is not correct), the Cap has already been sent all the way back to ARE in Ohio once with the dealer telling them there is something wrong with the cap itself and ARE only replaces one window and sends it back and does nothing for the other issues. So we remount it this past Friday, other windows leaks terribly, back hatch will still not close correctly and the corner that is bad on the cap leaks under the cap and the door does not seal. I have been patient through this whole 3 month process but it has run out.

Now I will be going back to the dealer and will be requesting it be returned to ARE and either provide me a refund or build me a new Cap. Not sure how well it is going to go as they are built to order, but not my fault it is not working. In this case I cant fix it myself which is frustrating. Moral of the story is sometimes no matter how much research you do and chose a company to spend your hard earned money with based on a Quality reputation sometimes it just does not work out.

No matter what RV you go with or what options you chose things can happen but taking in all the information you can to help make the right decision for each of ours situation is beneficial in many ways.

Keep the info coming...
Old 10-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #12

Good luck with your trailer, and have some fun.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

I have owned only one travel trailer. I bought online direct from Middlebury Indianna. Like you Big John, I have learned that fixing the things that go wrong are much less stressful than trying to get a dealer to do it. At least when I fix it, I do care if its done right. When you only pay 18000 for a house on wheels, you get what you pay for. All travel trailers are made on an assembly line and you just can't expect perfection. I certainly would not take a loss to get rid of a Jayco for another brand trailer. Jayco has a good reputation, and I'm very proud of mine. I did buy the metal sides and I'm very glad I did. I have seen too many faded delaminated fiberglass side panels to make me feel different. I keep my trailer stored in a 24x30' enclosed steel building so it never sees the weather except when I'm using it
Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
... I keep my trailer stored in a 24x30' enclosed steel building so it never sees the weather except when I'm using it
I envy you so much!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #15

We hit the dealer lot this past Saturday for 3 hrs, spent time in and looking at Whitehawks and Jay Flights with both Aluminum and Fiberglass walls. Although it goes against our "the point of going camping is to be outside and the camper is for rest and sleeping" mantra and not getting to large a camper the 28BHBE has everything we would ever want and makes the "resting and sleeping" part more enjoyable. We could sacrifice and go a couple feet shorter but know we would regret it later.

The Whitehawk 28DSBH is the next closest option in regards to floorplan but we would be giving up features we like on the 28BHBE. I really do not like the height of any of the trailers with full size slides but there is no way around it. Coming from a JayFeather it will take some getting used to but in the end I will work through it. When I got my F250 FX4 it seemed so much bigger than my Expedition EL, which it is, but I have gotten used to it.

I will be ordering a Trailer because if we do go with the 28BHBE we will upgrade to the 15K AC and order the 2nd AC Option, Thermal Package and Hide A Bed. There is a BHBE local that has all that on it and the Interior color we want BUT the dealer for some reason did not order the Elite Package which is a must have for me. It is aluminum sided.

So… Now I must decide do I go with Aluminum or the Fiberglass side option. They had a 26BHS with the Fiberglass sides, knocking on them they seemed more hollow than the Vacuum Bonded walls of the Whitehawk/Jay Feather and you could really see the fiberglass strands in the walls whereas the Whitehawk/Jay Feather are smoother.

Although I have only had Fiberglass Sided w/ Alum frame (JayFeather) and when I started this thread that was they way I said I wanted to go but to get the floor plan we want (other than getting an Eagle 284BHBE) I cannot get an Aluminum Framed trailer so I am now down to Wood Frame with Aluminum or Fiberglass siding.

I feel if we go with the JayFlight 28BHBE I should go with Aluminum versus the Hung (Glued on the Wood Studs ???) Fiberglass. Another reason we are leaning Aluminum is me and the DW prefer the old school framed sliding windows versus the Frameless which only tilt out.

I am worried (may be unfounded) about the issues with the Fiberglass coming loose from the wood studs if in fact it is glued on, over time. We are in Florida and live on the coast so it gets pretty Hot and Humid (I run a dehumidifier in the camper at all times) here for many months. My JayFeather did fade over a short amount of time on the front that was exposed to the sun the most and I had to compound and wax it to keep it nice so I am aware of the fading issues with fiberglass.

Does the Aluminum resist the fading a little more? Would not be able to compound it like I did on the fiberglass if so.

Need help deciding…
Old 10-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post

Does the Aluminum resist the fading a little more? Would not be able to compound it like I did on the fiberglass if so.

Need help deciding…
Well after 6 years my aluminum sided unit shines up nicely! Never been covered or under a cover.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #17

We have a '15 JF 28BHBE and love it. We are a family of 4, w/ 2 daughters. We've used this for several dance competitions (cheaper than hotel when close to competition). It has a plenty of room for their dance stuff, room for makeup, hair dryers, curling irons, etc. and we love it!! We only got the 30A and no 2nd AC. My first camper on my radar was the JF 26BHS, and it's nice. But the wife liked the U shaped dinet and location of bunks/bathroom better in the 28BHBE. It is long, but being my first, it's all I know and we just take our time. And ours is aluminum sides for weight purposes. Since it's only 1 yr old, I can't attest to fading yet. All I know is I'm planning camping trips 1 & 2 summers out!! There have been a few things the dealer has fixed and glad I have another year to keep shaking it down. And I'm lucky my dealer is about 45 min each way. I hope this helps and love to help because a lot on here have helped so so much before, during and after our purchase.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post

Need help deciding…
My 2012, built mid-2011, still has an unbelievable finish on it. I'm in Central California, so that is constant hot sun for 7 months a year and then wet fog during the winter. It sits outside and uncovered always. I do work on keeping it looking good, it's washed (roof and all) every trip and I wax the exterior twice a year. This year I finally switched from Meguires NXT 2.0 liquid synthetic wax to Meguires Gold Class quick wax (spray bottle on and instantly wipe off). Yesterday I applied the second treatment for the year, previous was in April, and I am very impressed. I mention this because I believe if a gel coat fiberglass was washed and waxed as frequently as I do my aluminum sided trailer it would likely maintain a factory finish much longer. I do however compare to two camping buddies TT who wash but not wax, and my trailer looks considerable better although older. The JayFlight fiberglass, being non-gel coat, isn't appealing to me. For the extra weight and money of the fiberglass option I would likely get another aluminum sided trailer if I was shopping. If/when Jayco uses gel-coat on the JayFlight I might reconsider.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #19

If your gut feeling tells you to go with the aluminum, then go for the aluminum. I would own either one. I was leary of the fiberglass on ours, being filon, but so far a year into it and 6000 miles / heavy use, it's holding up fine. No doubt the aluminum is easier with repairs if needed down the road.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #20

I wanted to Thank everyone for your feedback both about Aluminum vs Hung Fiberglass on the Jay Flight and your experiences with the 28BHBE in general.

I believe we will be going with an Aluminum 28BHBE and am currently working on ordering one here soon.