Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #1

Jayco 184bs baja solar install

I have a 2021 jayco 184bs baja. Purchased a renogy 400 watt kit. I cut a whole in the wall according to the sticker and expected to find two sets of wires. One from the solar port on the roof and one to the battery. I only found one pair. I tugged on them and they are firm in either direction.

Does this mean that the wires need to be cut and then attached to the appropriate ports on the controller? Are these wires live meaning connected to the battery? I did not find any unconnected wires near the buss bar or battery. I also don't see a place to additional wires. Is there a circuit breaker in place?
scallawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:46 PM   #2

Thought I would follow up in case anyone else ever comes across this.

The wires that I found in the wall are dangling in a junction box at the front of the trailer next to the busbar. You could cut the wire and connect it to your charge controller, mount it and connect the wire to your battery if you were going to use the provided area for your charge controller. Would recommend adding disconnect switch between the panels and controller and fuse between the battery and charge controller.

I am adding a few things at once and so I will be taking a different route. I am moving to lithium and adding an inverter as well, so I will be moving the battery location to a compartment next to the water pump under the bunk bed. I plan on taking the existing wire and extending it to that area, where I will connect up the MPPT, battery, inverter and various protections (fuses, breakers, disconnect switches).
Old 08-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #3

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you have a good plan there. How are you planning to wire it all in? Is your inverter able to be a transfer switch and take the shore power to run the whole trailer? Or are you looking to just power a couple plugs?

If you are looking to do the whole trailer there are a couple of gotcha's that you have to look out for.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #4

It is a Renogy 3000W pure sine wave inverter. It comes with a built in automatic transfer switch. I am planning on connecting the shore power directly to the inverter. I am planning on powering the 120 by connecting the inverter to the power center.

I am interested to hear the gotchas. I am planning on wiring it up tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #5

Does that inverter have a charger? if it does not and you are planning on using the power center to charge your batteries you have to put that on a sperate circuit. If you do not do this it will create a loop and fry things at best or catch/cause a fire at worst.

What I did was buy a small breaker box at home depot, a circuit breaker, and some additional wire. To hook this up you will need to "Y" off the shore power so that one line goes to the inverter and the other to this breaker. This breaker then is what you connect the converter to. Leave its current breaker in the power center disconnected and off. The other end of the "Y" connect to the inverter and then back from the inverter to the power center.

Doing this isolates the 12v section of the power center from the inverter and ensures you wont have any issues.

Also make sure you have good solid grounds for everything. The new breaker box should ground to the grounds by the power center (you will see a bus bar). The inverter and MPPT etc should connect to a new bus bar (get one if you dont have it) then run that down to a good ground. I just ran mine up to the tongue area and used the bar they installed at the factory there.

Of course use good sized wire, I originally spec'ed and used 2/0 but went to 4/0 for the main battery and inverter connections as the 2/0 got warmer than I liked when running the AC. (that was a $100 mistake but is safe now) Battery to battery does not pull the same amps as the inverter does. While I currently have a 300a rated battery cutoff switch I will be changing it to a 600a as it also gets warm. I can still touch it but its really warm...
Old 08-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #6

The inverter is also a charger. I am disconnecting the built in converter from the power center. I think this should prevent the problem you are describing. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I do have a lynx 1000 distributor that I will be using as my fused busbar I plan to run a ground wire from the frame of the trailer (will remove paint first) to the lynx.

I am using 4/0 from the battery to the lynx and the same to the inverter. My blue sea systems disconnect is rated at 500 amps.

Thank you much for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #7

That sounds like you have what you need. I also used the lynx distributor, it is awesome and a nice clean look once done. Good luck and take some pics and post once done!
Old 04-26-2024, 11:49 AM   #8

Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallawa View Post
I have a 2021 jayco 184bs baja. Purchased a renogy 400 watt kit. I cut a whole in the wall according to the sticker and expected to find two sets of wires. One from the solar port on the roof and one to the battery. I only found one pair. I tugged on them and they are firm in either direction.

Does this mean that the wires need to be cut and then attached to the appropriate ports on the controller? Are these wires live meaning connected to the battery? I did not find any unconnected wires near the buss bar or battery. I also don't see a place to additional wires. Is there a circuit breaker in place?
I have the same trailer, but itís a 2022. I plan to install solar as well and had the same questions about the solar wires. Thank you.
Offgrid4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallawa View Post
Thought I would follow up in case anyone else ever comes across this.

The wires that I found in the wall are dangling in a junction box at the front of the trailer next to the busbar. You could cut the wire and connect it to your charge controller, mount it and connect the wire to your battery if you were going to use the provided area for your charge controller. Would recommend adding disconnect switch between the panels and controller and fuse between the battery and charge controller.

I am adding a few things at once and so I will be taking a different route. I am moving to lithium and adding an inverter as well, so I will be moving the battery location to a compartment next to the water pump under the bunk bed. I plan on taking the existing wire and extending it to that area, where I will connect up the MPPT, battery, inverter and various protections (fuses, breakers, disconnect switches).
I have the same trailer and am planning to do the same thing. I would imagine you finished your build, and I have several questions. The most pressing is, what do all the wires go to that are attached to the small bus bars near the junction box? I plan to eliminate the 12V battery and am curious what I will be left with to energize up front, in the box, and on the bus bars? I appreciate any help you could provide me.
Offgrid4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
184bs, solar