Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Jayco 23 MB 2015 Awning/Door conflict

We have a beautiful new 2015 Jayco 23 mb. We are previous owners of a Baja 154 bunkhouse...The problem we have with the NEW 23 mb is that the door cannot open and stay open against the trailer...the awning arm is in the way and the door was made to only stay open to stick STRAIGHT out. This feels extremely unsafe for my 5 year old twins and personally it just seems like an odd and ill made design flaw...I mean, couldn't they have made the awning a little longer or reverse the door? So, I am here to ask if anyone has a remedy for this? Has anyone reversed the door to open out from the right rather than the left so that the door can open and stay open against the trailer? Cost? for this kind of door or replace the awning with a longer one? Please help! I am desperate as safety is an issue. I did not notice this when buying this new one...Thank you in advance.
Firnkoess4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

We had the exact same situation on our 2012 StarCraft 235fb.
After a year, the air gun on the bottom of the door broke. We just got a bungi cord and clipped it to the door and to one of the holes in the awning arm. It isn't flat against the trailer, since the awning arm is in the way, but it is open at a considerably larger angle than 90 degrees. We actually like it much better than the door sticking out at 90 degrees from the trailer. Probably better ventilation as well. You can just remove the air gun and do this. (or wait for it to break on its own)
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

My 2014 23MBH has a small cylinder on the bottom of the back door that holds it straight out when open. To me the back door is more of an escape hatch than a full time door anyway. It's much smaller than the front and only has 2 steps instead of 3. All we use it for is bathroom breaks while traveling and we use it a little bit during loading.
To answer your real question I doubt it would be very cheap to change but the right amount of cash could surely make it happen
Good luck!
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

The best solution for you is to maybe move or change awning. Replace with a bigger awning or having it moved forward. good luck
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #5

thank you! This could work for the days when we don't use the awning...couldn't have the door open back to the trailer very far with the awning open, however! Thanks for the input.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #6

do you happen to have a pic of how it sits against the trailer now?