Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #1

Jayco 232rb and F150 2.7 ecoboost

I pull our 232 RB (total length 27') 4260 lbs dry weight with our F150 2.7 4x4 ecoboost. It does really well, I find myself at 70 without even knowing we have that hooked up. If it's windy, I have to keep it around 60-65 though. We do have a Husky Center-line hitch on it that keeps it directly behind us without much sway. We have yet to take it out to the mountains, I would love to go out to see blue ridge highway again. Our gas mileage drops from 20 to about 10 when pulling. Any thoughts on how our setup will be on the mountains?

We did our homework and called the dealer to make sure our new truck/trailer combination could handle pulling it. Near I can tell from the towing selector our GCWR for our truck is around 12,000 lbs, with a maximum trailer weight of 7200 lbs.

I figure with full tanks and loaded down trailer, I still have 1000 pounds or so yet to go.

Here is what the Jayco page states about our weight:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 4260
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 460
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 5600
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 1340
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Team

If I remember correctly, the 2.7l Ecoboost trucks come with a 6500# GVWR. Have you taken your combo to the scale to see what your actual loaded tongue weight and vehicle/combination weight is?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

That 2.7EB is an amazing engine that can do the work of the old 5.4L V8 no problem. My only advice for towing the hills is that you should go down hills SLOWER than you go up, and use the engine braking as much as possible on longer grades.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

Thanks, I agree, we are impressed by the 2.7. I never considered that I would be able to get up to speed so quickly pulling a 5000 pound trailer in tow. The twin turbo makes all the difference.

I put the trailer up for the winter next year, but in the spring I plan to visit our local Cat scale to get everything weighed.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

I really enjoy my time at the CAT scale. Make sure to take at least 3 weights.
1 ) Just the truck with your normal camping load in the bed
2) Truck and Trailer loaded as normal WITHOUT the WD bars hooked up
3) Everything set up as you normally go down the road.
3A, 3B, etc (adjust and re-weigh as needed. )

What I always look for and focus on is getting my steering axle weight back as close as possible to what it is without a trailer attached. That makes sense to me and seems to be a decent goal. I've never seen anyone get back to 100%, but withing a few hundred pounds is probably fine.

As a kid I always wanted to be a trucker, so the CAT scale is a fun spot for me.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
I really enjoy my time at the CAT scale. Make sure to take at least 3 weights.
1 ) Just the truck with your normal camping load in the bed
2) Truck and Trailer loaded as normal WITHOUT the WD bars hooked up
3) Everything set up as you normally go down the road.
3A, 3B, etc (adjust and re-weigh as needed. )

What I always look for and focus on is getting my steering axle weight back as close as possible to what it is without a trailer attached. That makes sense to me and seems to be a decent goal. I've never seen anyone get back to 100%, but withing a few hundred pounds is probably fine.

As a kid I always wanted to be a trucker, so the CAT scale is a fun spot for me.
When I went to the CAT scale I was worried that I'd be holding up the truckers who are trying to make a living while I'm screwing around with my camper. Luckily, no one pulled in behind me.

As far as the 2.7L Ecoboost goes, I have to agree that it is amazing. My previous truck was the larger Ecoboost and I honestly cannot detect a difference. My tow capacity is listed at 8200 pounds.