Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #1

Jayco 264BHW

Hello and happy spring !
We are about to bite the bullet on a TT , probably 264BHW, but a huge question is bugging us: We ride a lot, can it survive?
We traveled 5K miles in the last 4 months tent camping (average is around 1400 miles each 3 months)...
Being a budget TT I read several reports of staples/nails coming off, etc...
We intend to keep the trailer for 10 years or more (just sent to the garbage a 15 y/o tent...) therefore our concern with longevity of the trailer...
According to your experience, will things "hold together" for 10 years (potential 60K miles)?

Thank you!

Ricardo & Luciana

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

We pick up ours in two weeks. I too hope it lasts. Even as a budget TT, there are a lot of great reviews out there on this line.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

Of course there are no guarantees it will last 60k miles, but within a price range IMHO it's unlikely you'll find anything better than a Jayco.

Before we bought ours, we looked at used units from a variety of manufacturers on dealer lots and private owners. Overall, it appeared to us that Jayco units were best.

If you want yours to last a long time, you've got to take maintenance seriously. If you read on this site and others, you'll notice that water leaks are a serious issue.

We bought our 27RLS last spring, I brought it to AZ from Middlebury. Then we took it on an 8,000 mile trip and a couple of shorter trips. So it has roughly 10,000 miles on it the first year. We are planing short trips for this year and another very long trip next year. I see no indication it won't make many of these trips.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Also consider that 10 years in mild climate and smooth highway are very different from gravel/ back roads and harsh climates....

If you are at all handy, and have the desire to keep it in shape, you can absolutely do that...... There is no shortage of advice , and I'm pretty sure that someone here on JOF has asked or fixed whatever you will encounter along the way.

Just my .02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #5

We just got ours a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to start making some long-range trips. Just have to see how long it's going to take to rehab from rotator cuff surgery.

Like oldmanAZ said, if you maintain it, drive attentively, I would expect no less than 60K or better and at least 10 years of enjoyment from the TT. Is it the top of the line materials and workmanship, no, but that means even more attention to the vehicles problems are warranted.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #6

Hello,

I got mine two weeks ago and already took it out once. Everything went well and the only issue I had was one of the speakers is not working. I called the dealer and they told me to take it out a couple of times and make a list before making an appt for repairs. That worried me a bit. It was like they expect multiple issues. I guess that is typical for new RVs. I've looked the unit over pretty thoroughly trying to learn all I can about it. Honestly it seems pretty flimsy but from what I am reading this is typical for RVs. There ain't much Holding it together and I feel like I could push the walls in and fold the darn thing up. I'm not trying to discourage buying this model because it may be as good as most others. These are just my observations as a new RV owner. My 2003 Jayco 12SD Popup was in my opinion a little more substantial. I am a little concerned about the longevity of this new camper but I will do everything I can to take care of it so it will last.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

We picked up our new 264bhw three weeks ago, and it is our first trailer. We were looking at a Jay Feather 7, but we decided to go a little bigger. We also looked at a similar White Hawk with a slide out and u-shaped dinette, but I was concerned with the added weight for pulling my first trailer.
So, because it is new, I do not know about the staples, etc. issues. I have not heard those concerns, but I trust the Jayco brand. The tank indicator has a light missing at the quarter full mark, but we will have that fixed when we have it serviced after a year. Really, I think it is great for the price.
We have taken it on two trips - 110 miles and 270 miles so far. We have three kids and two small dogs, so we expect some wear and tear. We have enough confidence in the trailer to have booked a trip to Yellowstone this summer (1,530 miles).
TXCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #8

Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Welcome to JOF. As OldmanAZ said, "If you want yours to last a long time, you've got to take maintenance seriously."

Screws, staples, light fixtures fall out or fail even on the most expensive high end rigs. Remember, you are using a trailer (or motor home for some), it is built to be lightweight so it can be mobile.
I have owned many rigs and had to maintenance/repair/rebuild almost everything from an entire front corner on a cabover camper to replacing holding tanks and sewer dumps. I still learn things from the many good folks on this site.

It is much easier to maintain tent, they are nowhere near as complicated and there is no comparison for longevity. Consider the trailer like owning a house, even brand new houses need maintenance.

There are things you can do to help. If you do a lot of serious backwoods boondocking off the grid like I do, consider beefing up the suspension, changing the tires to light truck tires. Installing steel skid wheels at the rear, and bash/skid plate deflectors to protect the holding tanks and sewer dumps.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote