Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Jayco 265 RLSW AC NOT PERFORMING PROPERL

I am wondering if our AC is.working properly. OR.if aI.am expecting to much from a 13500 ac unit. Yesterday it was 97' with severe humidity. Ac was on high. We left for a couple hour and returned. It was.93' and 89 in the trailrer. AC was left on high. Hot hot enough to melt candy bars. Iturned it high fan only and ran.it.that.way for 15.minuted.and it
Started getting cooler from the vent. Vent air temps are about 52'to 55'.it.is.76' in the.main.cabin . with all the windows covered with silver foil bubble wrap . My indoor outdoor thermometer says102 i dont believe it is accurare..says 77' in here wirh 3 fans working. Just.dont.know.if.I.am doung somethng wrong?????? Or.if.there is more I cand to keep it ln the mid.to upper 60's in here. . My weather on my phone saysmid 8o's. Looking for.ALL HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS. What.woild.an additional ac cosrt insalled? Or foung up to a 1500 btu be enough....ao maybe I am just,not using it right.
Thank you
Drop
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

In my limited RV experience i’ve found heat loss/gain to AC sizing to be an afterthought at best. If you have an infrared thermometer, you can assess the AC’s performance by opening the “dump” directly on the AC unit and comparing the intake temperature to the tempeature of the cooler air coming out of the dump vent. It should be 18-20 degrees cooler than the intake air. You’ll likely find that the AC is fine. The issue is that it can’t keep up with the heat gain of the camper.

The ducts in the ceiling are surrounded by really hot “attic” air which warms the “cool” air as it gets distributed to the camper. You’ll likely find much worse than 18-20 degree difference to one of these vents. Additionally, solar heat through the windows and walls of the camper is significant and difficult for the AC to overcome. You can help on the window side but getting the metal looking bubble wrap insulation and cutting it to size and covering each window. You lose the view but it can help a good bit keeping the camper cool.

I know it’s tempting to blame the 13.5k for not having the output of a 15k but keep in mind the 15k is only about 10% more. It wouldn’t hurt for sure but it’s no silver bullet.

You can probably tell I’ve lived through this issue. Cover the windows, try to find some shade, and good luck.
Nights Camped Last Year: 37
Each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Looks like your doing about 22 degree delta across your evap coil if I’m reading your post correctly. 22 delta is right on the money so the unit is doing all it can do. Humility makes it even tougher to cool down a poorly insulated trailer.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Many of us have checked for cracks at the ac output registers off the duct and on the unit grille. I have used thermal tape to make sure all the cold air is coming out of the duct and to the unit. Also make sure the return air and the supply air is properly separated in the unit. If you see places that are not sealed get some 3M insulated tape and make it so.; It won't make more than it is but it could assure that all the cool air it puts out goes to the inside and not in the roof.

There are a lot of threads on this on JOF.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Doesnt begin to keep up parked in the sun on a 95' day. When we boight it I asked the salesman if it would keep it jn the 60's on a 95 'day. He said no bit it would keep it in the lower 70's. Got foil bubnle wrap shades made for all the windows. Now for the shower skylight.. lastnight at 10pm it had cooled off down to 65' in there and 80' outside. Just going to have to seek a shady spot when camping . I sure hope that helps. I used an infrared thermometer and the glas on the wi dows was 112' and the black frames werw to hot to leave your hand there. I am sure I not the only one here who has had this problem....going to keep searching.
Thanks
Drop
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #6

Make sure you have the fan on HI, as the increased air flow over the coils will help prevent freeze ups, especially with high heat and humidity. Don't ask how I know.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #7

I forgot to mention that I used one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...vent+insulator

And I put the reflective bubble stuff in my shower skylight as well. Kind of dark but cooler.

I live near the beach and some of the outdoor bars have fine misters that make it cooler but are fine enough that the water evaporates and doesn’t pool up. I always thought a few of those on the roof of the camper would go a long way toward helping this as well but I never tried it out.
Nights Camped Last Year: 37
Each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Mine would not keep up either and I have a 15k ac. Most of the heat was coming from the large window in the very rear. Bubble foil helped that issue. I did a few other windows as well. I still try not to park in a spot that faces that large rear window to the west if I can help it.

Next, a few vents barely had air coming our of them. I found the inside ring on the vent almost went to the top of the duct allowing very little air through the vent. I trimmed those down some with a dremel. This help the flow a bunch.

I also noticed even in the evening, my AC was cycling around the low 70's. I re-positioned the thermostat wire away from the coils some and also adjusted the thermostat some so I could get a head start on cooling the rig down during the night before the heat of the day set in. Now I can make it cycle in the low 60's if I wish. I generally like it around 68-70F in there, especially when sleeping.

With those few items, it helped tremendously and it will stay in the mid 70's on a 99 Deg. Day in full sun. Finding some shade when parking the trailer helps even more when possible.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
To be efficient in cooling cover the outside of the glass not the inside (inside = greenhouse effect)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
dee

I will share something as well. I put reflectix on/in my ac units as well as the cover. I had some left over and made sunshades for many of the windows. I didn’t have enough to go around and realized I had some leftover atticfoil radiant barrier from my old house. It has two foil sheets with a laminate(like tarp) material inside. Very strong and can’t tear it. I made a sun shade out of it as well. When testing, the atticfoil actually was several degrees cooler than the reflectix, which I assume is better at reflecting the heat. It works well you just have to have a gap so as not to conduct heat directly. If I have time, I will use the atticfoil along with insulating board under the master bed and bunk. I wish Jayco had put this stuff in the trailer from the start. Would have made a big difference.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

Cooling in the summertime is one of the many reasons I went w/ a shorter 'C' this time around. Less box to cool, easier to keep it where I want it. This time around I also went for just white fiberglass; my previous Greyhawk had tan/brown fiberglass. And while I liked the way it looked (and it hid dirt better), you could feel that heat when you put your hand on the side of the rig. Not so much w/ a white rig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote