Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Jayco 26bh owners! picking up rental this Thursday...

Hey everyone, just a final check in before we head out on our adventure this summer. We are renting a Jayco 26bh, picking it up this Thursday. Anything from any of the 26bh owners we should watch for, bring along, or whatever?

Thank you in advance!

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

We bought ours last year and like it. It's pretty no hassle since there are no slide outs. Hopefully it has an electric tongue jack! It's designed very well and almost everything is intuitive.
WA State
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #3

One other thing when I started is reading these forums and the rv.net forums. Lots of good info on both about towing etc.
WA State
AndrewClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #4

Does the rental include a good hitch set-up? It's alot of trailer to pull without a WDH and sway control. Other than that, enjoy! We love ours.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

fortunately we are renting a WDH, mandatory with the rental. Also will be getting a 2 5/16th hitch ball today as the biggest I have is 2".

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Load the trailer just like you are leaving for your trip when you pick it up, before they install/setup the hitch. This will give you the best shot at getting the set right the first time. We have 26BH and it is a great trailer. Simple and easy to us trailer.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Load the trailer just like you are leaving for your trip when you pick it up, before they install/setup the hitch. This will give you the best shot at getting the set right the first time. We have 26BH and it is a great trailer. Simple and easy to us trailer.
understand where you are going with this but not sure what to use to load the trailer as all of our stuff is at home until we get it loaded at home. ?

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #8

Yeah, I see how that would be a problem...didn't really think it through when I suggested it. Maybe you can get a copy of the installation guide so if you need to make any adjustments while on the trip you can.

As I said, I do have a 26bh and it tows great for us. We have had to make very few changes to our setup as things accumlate, hopefully that we be the case you too.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Yeah, I see how that would be a problem...didn't really think it through when I suggested it. Maybe you can get a copy of the installation guide so if you need to make any adjustments while on the trip you can.

As I said, I do have a 26bh and it tows great for us. We have had to make very few changes to our setup as things accumlate, hopefully that we be the case you too.

quick update. had to go with a 264bh Swift as the dealer sold their two rental units. yep, great communication eh?

anyways - I think I have the a/c but not totally sure. forgot to ask on that one. do we need to use the control on the wall in addition to the ceiling unit or is that for the furnace/heat only? Also, we have the camper currently plugged into the house but it doesnt seem to be drawing enough to kick the A/C in.. is this normal for a house connection?

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

The 264 swift model is still a nice TT. Some differences in the Swift vs JayFlight but nothing that I would be concerned about if I was renting it. If I recall the major differences are in holding tank capacities and some upgrade options don't exist in the swift line that can be had in the JayFlight. We looked at 264bh when purchasing as well as the 26bh. The difference was a couple thousand and we just thought for that difference it was worth the extras that came in the 26bh.

On mine, the thermostat on the wall controls the AC and Heat. I have ducted AC in the roof not a wall unit, I can't remember with certainty what the 264 swift has, it seems some had wal mt AC.

If you have it plugged into a 20amp circuit with nothing else on the circuit or running in the TT you should get the AC to cycle on...a 15amp circuit probably won't start it up. Mine will run on my garage 20 Amp circuit...except if my house AC cycles on it will trip the breaker. Not exactly sure why though, the house AC is on a dedicated line, but it happens and I have just learned to live with it.

There are member here with the 264bh, maybe one of them share more info on the unit specifically.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #11

Hey nucleuscracker,
The 264BH swift is nearly identical to it's big sister the 26bh ... except it is roughly 1k lighter and doesn't have a diamond plate front or a roof ladder. Your 264BH DOES have an A/C unit (roof mounted) and the settings do not run through your thermostat, but directly overhead in the center of the kitchen (which is very nice for cooking inside on a hot, yet rainy summer day). Also, the A/C runs on a 30 amp connection. So if you're trying to run your A/C with a 20 amp connection with a 15/20 to 30 amp adapter, you'll likely trip your household breaker and not be able to cool much before doing so. Hopefully wherever you are camping has a 30 Amp connection. Then you can usually run any and all of your stuff without problems. We have a 264BH and LOVE IT! We will definitely be trading up when the kids get bigger, but for now ... couldn't have picked a better trailer for what we need plus: weight/cost/towability/storage space/ease of operation/layout/everything ... you're going to have a great time. Tell us all about your trip when you get back.
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH (retired)
2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears (retired)

I'm not sleeping on the ground ever again.
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #12

OH, also ... if you have any questions about the 264BH, just ask. If I can help, I'd be more than happy to. I hope you were given all of the manuals when you picked it up. If not, before you take off, make sure you get them. A little extra knowledge or reference never hurt anybody.
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH (retired)
2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears (retired)

I'm not sleeping on the ground ever again.
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #13

Got the a/c to work! Thanks for the help. It was the house system that wasn't strong enough. It pulled okay but not great yesterday, with a WDH.

2 teenage stepdaughters
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #14

Had to turn on the furnace last night as its 39 right now here in W. Yellowstone. The thermostat is kinda pointless.

I'm now seeing firsthand how a TT or anything similar would be like our boat- never done adding mod's!! Lol

2 teenage stepdaughters