Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Jayco 29L or Forest River SP-260?

When I compare these two trailers and which one to buy, I do kind of feel like I'm not comparing apples to apples, but we like both and are trying to decide which one we should seriously consider. I've listed the pros and cons (in our opinon) of both...

- Jayco is around 1000# heavier than the Forest River (+ for the Forest River)
- 29L is 3 feet longer than the Forest River (+ for the Jayco, + for Forest River for being less intimidating to maneuver/pulling)
- Jayco gives us 4 bunks, Forest River gives us 3 bunks (+ for the Jayco)
- Forest River gives us a U-dinette over the Jayco's booth seat (+ for Forest River)
- Jayco seems to be rated as a better quality product, has a 2 yr. warranty and apparently a better re-sale value (+ for Jayco)
- We like the Forest River interior colors better (+ for Forest River)
- Jayco is about $1000 cheaper (+ for the Jayco, although $1,000 will hardly be noticed in the payments).

I expect that the Forest River Dealer will come down in price, so I probably should not factor price so much at this point.

I would appreciate any thoughts from others on whether you feel there is an obvious answer to this decision we'd like to make. Although I feel Jayco is a better deal, what weighs my mind is the sheer size and weight of it..I don't know if 1000# makes a noticeable difference (?) . My F-150 is capable based on a numbers crunch, but I know it's more on the high end of its limits.

By the way, our travel with it will be rather local (30 mins. - 3 hour radius from our house).

Let me know your thoughts.
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

here are a few things i looked at when shopping for my 1st and up to now my 3rd jayco-cabinets-hard wood centers,window treatments- day-night shades vs mini blinds, hard valances vs curtains , ventilation-bath fan 4" fan in a 12" opening? , water heater 5,6,10 gal?,fridge freezer size.drawer rollers steel or plastic?

to me at this price point nothing comes close to the quality of materials in a jayco! imo. not saying there perfect or they dont have some quality issues but they use good stuff. I think thats where the weight comes in. the rest is personal preference.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

They both have the same frontal area to push the wind so the extra weight probably is not a big deal. Rv people suffer from twofootitis. No matter what we have two more feet would be nice to have. Just sit in each one for about an hour and look things over and then make a decision. Which one can you see yourself spending weekends/vacations/family time in. Only you can answer that question .
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #4

Jayco uses heaver metal in their frames. (for now). That can add a bit of weight.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Smile Go for the 29L

We have the Jayco 29L and are very happy with it. The outside kitchen is what sold us. It is a great feature and we do all the fish frying outside. The three bunks on the Forest River would be ideal only for kids (seems too cramped). The 29L with the two bunks and the larger bunk is roomier for young adults. The U-Dinette is nice but you don't get the sofa/bed which offers more comfort and comes in handy when watching TV when it is rainy outside. I like the extra pantries but the 29L makes up with lots of overhead storage. You really need to sit in both of them with several people so that you can determine your comfort. Whichever you decide, hope you enjoy it.