Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #1

Jayco Accessories - opinions?

Any thoughts on the various Jayco accessories/options that are available with new trailers? specifically:
-sani-con turbo waste managment (so this sucks the "stuff" out of the tank?)
- roof ladder (good for inspection, but how often do you need that?)
- Bumper Mount outside grill (seems like a small grill, where does it store?)
- Cargo accessory receiver (good for bike rack I guess?)
- thermal package (if you aren't exposed to freezing temperatures, any benefit?)
- Aluminum rims (this one seems like a good value, steel rims never stay looking good for long)
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #2

In the order that I rate them as useful.

1. Thermal package: Any additional insulation is good at each end of the climate temperature spectrum to help maintain that comfortable temperature inside the camper and save on energy.

2. Roof Ladder: Since I have a slide to clean off, I use the ladder on each outing.

I have the gas line at the rear bumper and the rear hitch receiver. I have not used them yet but it may be a selling point at resale time. I don't have the sani-con or aluminum wheels. I would prefer aluminum wheels but I have the upgraded Goodyear Endurance tires which are of practical benefit.
ScottyLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #3

Ladder is useful and you don't need to store it.

I would skip on the bumper mount BBQ, you can always get something better, ie. Weber Q long as it can be hooked up to the trailers propane line.

Thermal package is good cause you never know, we are always out in the weather

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 AM   #4

We were told by our dealer that the Sani-Con is a waste of money - it's a great concept, but needs to be perfected.

Roof ladder - I use it all the time, plus it makes a great mount for a flag
Grill - I don't want that much heat that close to my rig
Receiver - great for bikes/cargo. If used for bikes, be sure the rack is RV rated - most aren't
Thermal Package - a must
Aluminum Rims - personal preference
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #5

Sani-con system - Don't know personally. Sounds great in theory, but in the real world ...?

Roof ladder - Good to have. I had insisted on having one on my 23RB. However, it doesn't help me much. I'm old and very out of shape. I have difficulty climbing the vertical ladder. In my youth, especially my Navy days, vertical ladders were no problem. Now, I need an angled ladder.

Bumper mount grill - It's not something I would want. Primarily because I usually don't want to cook anything at the back corner of my trailer.

Cargo accessory bumper hitch - I'm not sure I would want anything, other than the spare tire dangling off the end of the trailer. However, a factory installed hitch should handle the max weight it's rated for.

Thermal package - All thermal packages aren't created equal. My 23RB has the thermal package but it does not have heated air ducted down to the holding tanks. However, it is enclosed and insulated. This has to help with cold temperatures. Also being enclosed, a lot of road grime, etc doesn't get all over the pipes, tubing, and tanks. The biggest negative is you can not tell if anything is going bad under there unless the big cover is taken off.

Aluminum rims - This is a personal choice item. They certainly look better, but it was never a "deal breaker" for me. Mine happens to have aluminum wheels. One does not have to guard against rust like you would if you had steel rims.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Any thoughts on the various Jayco accessories/options that are available with new trailers? specifically:
- thermal package (if you aren't exposed to freezing temperatures, any benefit?)
- Aluminum rims (this one seems like a good value, steel rims never stay looking good for long)
Tried a bunch of gizmos for the waste tank, nothing seems to make as much of a difference as making sure there is lots of liquid in the black tank.

Ladder [emoji106]
Bbq and line don't like the idea of major heat that close to the body probably just worrying for nothing.
Thermal [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

The roof ladder and thermal package are the only items I purchased. I am quite happy with both, but am especially glad I have the roof ladder. It makes inspecting the roof a breeze, which makes me more likely to do so on a regular basis.

Jayco 26bh travel trailer
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #8

I do have a macerator (removable) when at my sons. One, because extended stays and I can use his clean out sewer connection. Two, it will pump up and into the honey wagon when the honey wagon is in the back of the truck. We once stayed at a RV park in South Dakota that had their dump area over a mile away. Better to have when needed but I have room to stow away

On my last RV I used a bumper clamp for the bike rack/holder. I did rope the bike wheels to the bumper to reduce wobble. Worked good for 5yrs. I would use it again but my new NP came with the hitch.

In my opinion the rear ladder is used in an emergency. I carry a folding giant ladder, but again I have room for it. It works great for cleaning windows and the front cap on the RV.

Several thermo packages out there. I do like the tank heaters, however if your dump valve/connection is exposed it maybe a mood point. I wrapped my with heat tape when needed. I have been told that the newer dump station installed on RVs are the central point of concern. The c/o valves are in the protected underbelly but your water connections are partially closed of, in there own compartment. And, the access door(s) leave something of a concern. Lots of neat tricks out there to safe camp in the cold.

Happy camping.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
sani-con - no opinion
roof ladder - Yes. have one & climb it infrequently, but frequently use it as an 'accessory' mounting point (flag, antenna, etc).
bumper mount outside grill - No. too close to trailer & we place our portable propane grill anywhere
cargo accessory receiver - No. Trailer frame has mounting places & we could buy the receiver, IF we buy bikes
thermal package - Yes. More insulation helps in hot and cold weather & we have been in both.
aluminum rims - Yes. Look great IMO & will take higher pressure for tire upgrade, less maintenance (had a couple of friends that always seemed to be touching up stone chips on their white rims)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #10

Roof ladder would be my top option. When I originally bought my TT I thought I could get a better deal elsewhere - but found out later I was deceived. It is important to inspect the roof frequently.
The hitch receiver would also be at the top IF, and only IF it is reinforced/welded, etc. You never know if you want to put some weight on it. My bike rack weighs about 50 lbs. and then add the weight of bikes. Or you may want to put a cargo box, etc. My bumper is only rated at 100 lbs and the extra tire & rack take up a good part of that. I finally got an extra receiver WELDED on the I-frame and so happy I did.
Grill, I prefer the outside kitchen and as others have said, would not want the grill heat so close to trailer. You can buy a coleman gas stove (I prefer gas to coal) probably for half the price?
Thermal package - not - I originally wanted one but could not afford one at the time of purchase. After reading so many problems with grey tanks falling off, ETC. I am glad I don't have it. Once my metal strap for fresh water tank fell off. Thermal package would have been an issue. Just a lot easier to get under it and inspect things on a regular basis (which I am learning is a necessity!)
Waste & rims have no preference
Good luck with your purchase

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

GrumpyDad,

* Sani-Con: Another electric/mechanical device, takes up space, still have to have the 3" slinky hose/attachments for back-up...., and $500

* Ladder: Makes roof inspection easy.

* Bumper grill: Don't like grills close to TT.

* Receiver: Better/safer then mounting racks to bumper.

* Thermal: Obvious benefits and good investment.

* Aluminum Rims: May be required if you plan to upgrade to "E" load range tires. My retired '05' Eagle OEM "steel" rims were only rated at 70 PSI, purchased 3rd party "aluminum" rims that exceeded 80 PSI tire requirement. I don't know what Jayco's present steel and "optional" aluminum rims are rated at..., I inquired but never received a response.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #12

The only 2 options I didn't get with mine were a folding table and the small, outside fridge. Both can be had for much less money if wanted. Like others I use my attached ladder and remote to clean off and retract the slide to keep leaf litter and pine needles out of my slide seals. Macerator... never used one. Like someone else said, use lots of water and travel with 5 gallons of water and Happy Campers in your black tank, and it will stay in great shape. I've used my black-tank-flush system once in 15 months, and it ran clear after 2 minutes. I use my bumper grill each outing. It's just the cheapie that came with it and won't last long, but for now it works OK. If you're having to pay extra for it... don't. I'll be converting a Weber Q to fit my folding bumper mount, and to use the gas line from the trailer, when this el cheapo bites the dust... which will probably be this year.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:

We have the sani-con macerator option and love it! It makes emptying our grey and black tanks fast and easy -- with no mess or smell. Ours has the option of emptying the tanks with the standard sewer hose, or we can pull a lever to switch to the sani-con. Our sani-con hose fits into a compartment on the side of the fifth wheel, so we don't have any storage issues.

We also have the bumper mount grill and like the convenience of that too. I bought a storage bag for the grill, and it is kept in one of the outside storage compartments when not in use.

We got the thermal package because traveling to Alaska in the RV is one of our goals. We've had the RV a little less than a year and have not yet camped in really cold weather, so I really can't speak to the difference this makes.

We have a roof ladder and have found it useful.

Those are the only options on your list that we have. I hope the info is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMcFarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #14

We live in northern Michigan so thermal package is great.... Roof ladder yes as I inspect before pulling in slide. I don't see a need for bumper mount or sani-con. Use a portable grill which works great. Don't use gas value that comes with trailer, bring my own. Aluminum rims look nice but have no preference.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #15

Well, like more, I use my ladder, especially if parking near trees, I have a habit of looking on the roof/slider

Grill, I don't like cooking that close to my trailer, I'm a firefighter, seen to many grill fires from grease, I run a line 10-15 feet from my trailer.

Thermal package if you can afford it, yes, ours does not have it, we purchased in Florida and the salesman said we're good for above about 28/29 degrees as long as trailer heat was on, but bring water/septic lines in. we didn't plan to be that cold, but 2 outings North in OCT and March, put us below 30 for few days each outing, with snow. lucky it only went below 30 on 2 days. Our next TT will have thermal package.

Cargo receiver, I don't have one, but I can see the use for one, just watch how low it is, I saw one TT with it's extension only about 1 foot of clearance.

Slideout cover, don't have one, wish I had, I'll probably be adding in the future to keep stuff off my slide.

Remote for Slide/awning - nice feature, I can stand outside near my slide/awning and extend not worrying if I'm getting to close to a tree or power hookups.

Rims, your call.

Stabilizers, your call, I like the manual with a drill, my brother-in-law like the automatic

Hitch if you don't have one- load equalizing and antisway, mine I can back up/tight turns without disconnecting the rod, my brother-in-law has to get out, disconnect the rod, then he can back up, while not major, if you have to make a quick backup (traffic, turnaround, etc) you don't have to get out and do it.

sani-con turbo waste managment - no opinion, haven't seen it.

Extra Septic hose, get it, don't use the cheap one they have, there is no connector on one side and you have to hold the hose. I use TWO 10 ft sections, usually I need only 1, but twice I've had to rig both sections to reach. Get plastic clear section so you can see what is going thru.
While on Septic, if they have flush attachment for the black water, I recommend getting it, running it I usually get some more...well some larger floaty things out after the tank is empty and the flush is still getting more things out....Water hose same, carry an extra.
Good luck
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #16

I just use a 20" propane hose and connect to a portable BBQ
Thermal package is nice but a hassle when you need to peek under the trailer.
I use the ladder several times a year. A bit wobbly but it works.
Would like to have a receiver.
No opinion on the macerator or rims.
We have outside kitchen with fridge and it is GREAT.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote