Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Jayco broken fridge !!!

Just gotta vent ! We bought our brand new Jayco in 2015 and the fridge is broke. We just happen to be 6 months out of warranty. But dang ! The fridge did not even last 3 years. It's not about the money but definitely the principle..I called customer service and they seemed to be happy because we were 6 months out ! go figure. We will never buy another Jayco again...You all have a great day and happy camping.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

What broke?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Sorry you had a problem, but can you explain why it's Jayco's problem, when the warranty on any other RV would have run out one year prior to Jayco's?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Not to mention its probably the same refrigerator brand that's in almost every brand camper.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlsm View Post
The fridge did not even last 3 years. It's not about the money but definitely the principle..I called customer service and they seemed to be happy because we were 6 months out ! go figure. We will never buy another Jayco again...You all have a great day and happy camping.
It's a NORCOLD fridge which JAYCO has no control over.

Buy a new house with appliances included and see what happens after the first year's warranty is up if the fridge dies.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Sorry to hear that your fridge broke...and I understand the need to vent at times, but I can't help buy notice that this is your 1st time posting?? Just pointing something out, nothing more.

Did you go thru the dealer or Jayco directly? I would contact Norcold directly too and maybe with the right attitude someone will be willing to meet you half way??
Old 08-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

I would keep pushing and not take the first response as final. If your the original owner call and ask for a manager.

Agree though that your vice is more with Norcold or Dometic more than Jayco as it's a component and perhaps why they are not budging. Something they built you might have more leverage with.

It does suck though that a 2 year old component failed.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #8

Fridge warranty is separate, as is AC and other components. You can deal directly with Norcold. I've never dealt with the RV manufacturer with any component failure or warranty in all my RVing years. I've always gone straight to the source.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
Old 08-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #9

Sorry for your problem and it looks like you joined the fourm just to tell us this? Unvent a little and try and find out exactly what's wrong with it, might be a fairly easy fix. When you set-up do you level the frig or the trailer and its pointers like this that you find on this great fourm. It is possible that you shortened its life, it's not like your home frig.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

If it was any other manufacturer, it would be 1 year 6 months out of warranty.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #11

Jayco has one of the longest [2 yr] warrantee. I understand the feeling of disappointment on this but warrantees do run out. When its over its over but Jayco may work with you on an item that they constructed. Agree with others on the appliance stuff, all manufacturers pretty much use the same stuff. I think your best bet is to contact the manufacturer and ask them to help with coverage.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #12

Everything breaks sooner or later and if the warranty is up you just have to replace it. Don't blame Jayco two and a half years after purchase for not fixing it. If you had bought one at Camping World or similar stores it would only have a one year warranty.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #13

Wow! As a Real Estate Agent and Broker, while your frustration is real, it is misplaced. Buy a house and there isn't a warranty until you pay for it. Jayco's warranty is the best in the industry. Why would you vent on this site rather than go to the Manufacturer's sight. Jayco's service from the factory has been close to exceptional on any of the issues that I've had with my unit. And, unlike a residential home, you are taking a box on wheels and subjecting it to all types of bumps and vibration. Suggest you calm down, communicate the problem, and then repost the specific issue. There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum but sympathy for your venting (and we are sympathetic) won't solve your problem.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

if this little issue has you this upset maybe you should stick to hotels.... stuff happens. try to diagnose the problem before getting upset about it. being only 2,5yrs old it is probably a simple issue to fix. you have to be handy if you have an RV.... unless $120/hr is affordable to you.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlsm View Post
Just gotta vent ! We bought our brand new Jayco in 2015 and the fridge is broke. We just happen to be 6 months out of warranty. But dang ! The fridge did not even last 3 years. It's not about the money but definitely the principle..I called customer service and they seemed to be happy because we were 6 months out ! go figure. We will never buy another Jayco again...You all have a great day and happy camping.
I understand your pain, I have a convection microwave oven in my stick house, that died again. It has a 1 year warranty and is 30 months old. Same issue as last time, when it was still under warranty. This time, I'll fix it, as I will not pay $$$$$ for the repair. I'm not happy, but life will go on.

Most of the appliances in a camper are fairly easy to fix. Diagnosing the issue can be more difficult. Most of the components are fairly easy to access, and swap out. The frig does have a few components that require the refrigerator to be pulled forwards to reach.

As others said, let us know what the symptoms are maybe we can help you.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

He's probably not savvy to the way it works with the RV industry, where components are often warrantied by the manufacturer of the component, not the RV "assembler". And typically, the warranty from the "assembler" matches that of the component mfg, which is usually 1 year. Jayco buys and replaces those components a year beyond most component mfg warranties. Still if you aren't used to that, you might think it's like an automobile warranty, where all systems are integrated and the responsibility is with the car "assembler" not the mfg of the radiator/window motor/nav system.

But there is still the potential that the user of the RV contributed to the failure. If the RV and refrig are used frequently out of level, the fridge will have a very short life, and it will usually show up in the ammonia evap system as a leak or rotted out portion somewhere in the system.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #17

As most have said, no good will come of posting your whine here. I would suggest calling Norcold, explain what happened and maybe, if you are nice, they might meet you somewhere in the middle to keep you a satisfied customer.

If you are a subscriber to Trailer Life magazine, you might write to their Action Column and provide them with your complaint. They seem to get things done as most manufacturers do not like to see negativity regarding their products in print.

I hope your next post is a bit more positive than your first.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #18

Should habe paid for that extended warranty when it was offered.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Sorry to hear that your fridge broke...and I understand the need to vent at times, but I can't help buy notice that this is your 1st time posting?? Just pointing something out, nothing more.

Did you go thru the dealer or Jayco directly? I would contact Norcold directly too and maybe with the right attitude someone will be willing to meet you half way??

X2
Old 08-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #20

OP seems like a Troll to me. First post bashes Jayco for nothing that is even under their control. Stated they "seemed" happy that he was out of warranty. OP hasn't been back since for any follow up since...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Closed Thread