Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Jayco changed their 2016 online manual: removed air winterization

Hello all, new Jayco owner here. 2016 Whitehawk 24MBH.

I was reading the manual that came with my trailer and it provided two choices for winterization: air compressor or RV anti-freeze

However, it looks like they removed the air compressor option from their online manual: http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...s%20Manual.pdf

I know this topic has been debated in other posts, I just found it interesting that they removed it. Wondering if Jayco has realized that antifreeze is the recommended method?
kjandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I did not know it was ever in there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:56 AM   #3

I have never winterized, but I do carry RV antifreeze with me during winter months in case I have to move when it is below freezing.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

Compressed air winterization requires more finesse than using antifreeze.

Air will not remove 100% of the water. If enough water is left behind and pools in the right places, expansion damage can occur.

As long as the lines are charged with a mix of mostly antifreeze, no damage will occur.

I'm guessing Thor has been going through Jayco's papers and making Their adjustments.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

When I winterize, I first drain the hot water tank and then close it up. Then blow out the majority of the water from all the lines to save antifreeze. Then I change the bypass valves around the water heater. I remove the drain plug from the water heater. I change the two valves by the pump to bypass the storage tank and to open the winterize pick up tube. I pump antifreeze through lines until it runs true color into the drain including the toilet and outside shower.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

Blow air and keep all your faucet open n u be good.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch N Go View Post
Blow air and keep all your faucet open n u be good.
If you live in Texas.

If you live anywhere up around the 49th or above, u be payin' for repairs come ice break. Use anti-freeze, it's cheaper than the repairs.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
If you live in Texas.

If you live anywhere up around the 49th or above, u be payin' for repairs come ice break. Use anti-freeze, it's cheaper than the repairs.
Yep, and unless they've figured out how to blow all the water out of the ptraps / check valves and the entire water pump, look forward to a giant KA' CHING! sound come spring time. I have a friend near Dallas right now, he was just boasting about the 90 degree temps today.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
BCK

I lived where it was frozen solid for 6-7 months a year. Never once had a problem using compressed air in 8 winters. If you take your time and do it properly, leave the taps and valves all open, pour some antifreeze down the p-traps and into the toilet bowl it will be fine. No different than blowing out your underground sprinklers.

Blowing out takes longer than using antifreeze but I hate the smell of RV antifreeze and don't want it in my water lines.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Well maybe a little different from blowing out your sprinkler system. Make a mistake on your sprinkler, pop a hidden leak, and the ground gets wet. Make a mistake on your TT, pop a hidden leak, and thousands in hidden damage is a real possibility. A bottle or two of anti-freeze is cheap insurance, just in case you make a mistake and miss that one step. And maybe I'm just careless, but I have made a mistake or two in the years we have owned a TT, so I am happy to have some cheap insurance.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
snip...

I'm guessing Thor has been going through Jayco's papers and making Their adjustments.
This made me chuckle.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjandb View Post
Hello all, new Jayco owner here. 2016 Whitehawk 24MBH.

I was reading the manual that came with my trailer and it provided two choices for winterization: air compressor or RV anti-freeze

However, it looks like they removed the air compressor option from their online manual: http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...s%20Manual.pdf

I know this topic has been debated in other posts, I just found it interesting that they removed it. Wondering if Jayco has realized that antifreeze is the recommended method?
BTW, WELCOME to the club!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
I lived where it was frozen solid for 6-7 months a year. Never once had a problem using compressed air in 8 winters. If you take your time and do it properly, leave the taps and valves all open, pour some antifreeze down the p-traps and into the toilet bowl it will be fine. No different than blowing out your underground sprinklers.

Blowing out takes longer than using antifreeze but I hate the smell of RV antifreeze and don't want it in my water lines.
Ditto, why does this keep coming up???? There have been at least 3 other threads on this same subject. Do it how ever you like!!! Done correctly either work fine.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 AM   #14

Of course the OP wasn't touting the virtues of one method over the other. He was just observing that now Jayco has eliminate the air compressor method of winterizing the RV from it's on line version of the owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Ditto, why does this keep coming up???? There have been at least 3 other threads on this same subject. Do it how ever you like!!! Done correctly either work fine.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

My rig came delivered from the factory winterized with the pink stuff. So that's how Jayco sends them out.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Of course the OP wasn't touting the virtues of one method over the other. He was just observing that now Jayco has eliminate the air compressor method of winterizing the RV from it's on line version of the owner's manual.
Which implies that the manufacturer recommends using anti-freeze. I think what bothers me most about the "blow it out" camp is that most of the proponents always add the disclaimer "done properly". And I agree it is a perfectly valid way of winterizing "done properly" but there is a large margin for error for doing improperly.

Since many of the posters here on JOF appear to be first timers, teaching them the "with a lot skill and knowledge" method is not the best way to go when there is a relatively idiot proof method that will only cost a few dollars. Once they are comfortable with their units, and they decide they don't like the smell/cost/residual taste of plumbing AF, they can decide to learn the more advanced skill method. When the crowd that blows say "make sure you drain your pump too" etc., do they think a newbie who doesn't know the first thing about their plumbing system, and possibly doesn't even know where their pump is located, is going to know how to do this?

For first timers I say, bypass and drain the WH, stick the tube in the jug, turn the two valves, hit the pump switch and run until everything turns pink from EVERY outlet. Go hibernate for the winter with no worries about "did I miss something, did I get all the water".

JMHO
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #17

I have the 2017 Jayco Jay Flight printed manual and it DOES include instructions for blowing out the water lines, BUT it has a big CAUTION panel which says:
Quote:
If the RV is going to be stored ... with a risk of temperatures reaching 32F (0C) or lower, the air pressure method is not adequate... RV antifreeze must be used...
It also warns that freezing damage is not covered under warranty.

It also states:
Quote:
The preferred method of winterization is using RV antifreeze in the plumbing system.
So it's pretty clear what Jayco's current stance is on winterization.

Note that they also recommend 30PSI MAX for air pressure blowout method.
red3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #18

Agreed, and the information is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote