Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #1

Jayco Condensation Issue

I own a 2021 Jayco 27RB. I am having a rather severe issue with it that I'm trying to find a solution for.

This model has a very large windshield-type window in the front of the trailer located directly over the bed. Every night this window forms a great deal of heavy condensation on the inside of it, so much so, that it constantly drips onto the bed, soaking it thoroughly. It also causes cold air to surround the head of the bed making it very uncomfortable to sleep there.

I've tried running a dehumidifier that lowers the humidity below 25% which is well below the normal indoor humidity of 30-50%, but the condensation still forms on cooler nights. I've tried raising and lowering the indoor temperature. I've tried towels to soak up the water. Nothing helps. Every cool night (35-50 degrees F) the window forms heavy condensation, the bed becomes soaked, and the surrounding air is uncomfortably cold while the rest of the room is warm. Kind of like trying to sleep with your head in the fridge on a wet pillow. This makes it virtually impossible to use the bedroom's bed.

The bed is fixed and can't be moved.

Does anyone have any kind of a solution for this?
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #2

For us we have the 2020 24MBH, same huge windshield. Same condensation problem.

For us, we put bubble wrap up (lightly spray water mist on window, press bubble wrap to window, surface tension keeps it "sticking").
This helps with the condensation from dripping all over us and soaking our bed too. There is still some water in the crevace where the window meets the frame at the bottom.

This is a huge issue for sure and something Jayco needs to address.

We've also discovered in our bunks in the rear that a portion of the wall gets soaking wet too because the physical frame of the RV (metal) is right in the back corner. So that area gets bitter cold and condensation loves to accumulate there.

In hindsight, I will never buy an RV with a giant window again.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B. View Post

In hindsight, I will never buy an RV with a giant window again.
That's why we never bought one with a window over the bed, it was an option on several MH's.

The only other way to completely prevent it is to "Stop breathing".. and we all know how that would turn out...
Old 01-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #4

I have used the Davis Air Dryer 1000 in my 2016 Starcraft while in storage. Do not have that problem with it, but have never tried it while camping in it. My TT has the large window and we get an occasional drip at night off the window, even with two layers of Reflectix and the cover closed.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:09 PM   #5

I don't have the same setup, but had to deal with condensation in hybrids. ... agree, it's annoying. I'm wondering if you couldn't heat the windshield with a heat strip of some type, and use a fan blowing away from you into the coach. Any venting you can do will help.

Propane heaters and people create a lot of condensation.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
CAG

Open a window slightly. Balance the humidity between inside and outside. This tactic is a common solution with camping/living in cold weather and a small space. The humidity becomes higher inside than out due to cooking, your breathing, and the body putting off water.

Check your user's manual as condensation in mentioned in about all of them there is a common topic/education in YouTube and RV sights.

Large windows are not really the problem as much as failing to balance the interior humidity. The previous toyhauler had a very large window over the dining area and I had few problems with condensation because there was always a window cracked or a fan vent open.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #7

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try them out. I especially like the bubble wrap idea.

Unfortunately, the outdoor humidity where I'm currently located has been consistently higher than the indoor humidity, so opening the window would not help.

Does anyone use a dehumidifier? If so, which type? Perhaps mine is no good.

I never wanted the huge window in the bedroom, but I liked the rest of the floorplan. However, knowing what I know now, I would never buy a trailer with such a window again. It's far more of a liability than an asset.

BTW, Jayco was no help with this. They just insinuated I did not do proper maintenance on the seals. Since the trailer is brand new, this really makes no sense. Whenever I ask them for help about almost any issue, they always find a way to make it not their fault and somehow blame the owner. Jayco must know that this window can be a major issue, but they still design trailers with the huge front window probably as a sales gimmick rather than an actual working feature. Whenever you have a very large, single-pane window with warm air on the inside and cool air on the outside, condensation will occur. I should have known better.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:40 AM   #8

Just started a Dehumidifier last week, the trailer is in storage. Very happy with how it has performed so far. I purchased the Yaufey PD161D Dehumidifier from Amazon. Over 23,000 have been sold, that is why I chose it. It is a 30 Pint and I paid about $185 shipped. Many YouTube videos on it if you want to check them out. I have it set to continuous drain outside instead of having to empty the tank since my trailer is 8 miles away. Check on it once a week. The Davis Air Dryer 1000 that I mentioned above did pretty good to for about $60. I will take it an use it while camping. Takes up less room.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try them out. I especially like the bubble wrap idea.

Unfortunately, the outdoor humidity where I'm currently located has been consistently higher than the indoor humidity, so opening the window would not help.

I never wanted the huge window in the bedroom, but I liked the rest of the floorplan. However, knowing what I know now, I would never buy a trailer with such a window again. It's far more of a liability than an asset.

BTW, Jayco was no help with this. They just insinuated I did not do proper maintenance on the seals. Since the trailer is brand new, this really makes no sense. Whenever I ask them for help about almost any issue, they always find a way to make it not their fault and somehow blame the owner. Jayco must know that this window can be a major issue, but they still design trailers with the huge front window probably as a sales gimmick rather than an actual working feature. Whenever you have a very large, single-pane window with warm air on the inside and cool air on the outside, condensation will occur. I should have known better.
Actually if you have condensation your humidity is at or near 100%. Opening a wind works. Try researching it.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Actually if you have condensation your humidity is at or near 100%. Opening a wind works. Try researching it.
I have a very sophisticated Ambient Weather WS-3000 Wireless data logging Thermo-Hygrometer that shows me the temperature and humidity levels in each room and outside.

The current internal humidity is 31% and the external humidity is 73%.

The condensation occurs as low as 25% internal humidity.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
I have a very sophisticated Ambient Weather WS-3000 Wireless data logging Thermo-Hygrometer that shows me the temperature and humidity levels in each room and outside.

The current internal humidity is 31% and the external humidity is 73%.

The condensation occurs as low as 25% internal humidity.

OK, so I'm stupid and so are the rest of those giving advice on this problem.

Take a look at this, and then Google the problem, as I mentioned, and then have your equipment calibrated LOL

https://rvinspiration.com/rv-life/stop-rv-condensation/

Here is another of the hundreds available:
https://rvshare.com/blog/how-to-fix-...on-in-your-rv/

Old 01-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
OK, so I'm stupid and so are the rest of those giving advice on this problem.

Take a look at this, and then Google the problem, as I mentioned, and then have your equipment calibrated LOL

https://rvinspiration.com/rv-life/stop-rv-condensation/

Here is another of the hundreds available:
https://rvshare.com/blog/how-to-fix-...on-in-your-rv/
I never said or implied that you or anyone else was stupid and I'm very
grateful for all the replies including yours and did say so above.

I did google the issue and came across that article. Here is what I found based on my own experience in regards to that article's advice:

Run the air conditioner - This reduces humidity but it's not practical to run the air conditioner when the outdoor temperature is 35 degrees (yes, it's been that cold here in central FL the past week at night).

Open a window or ceiling vent - If I do that, then the higher outdoor humidity makes the problem worse. Again, this is Flordia, the outdoor humidity is usually high. Also, when running a dehumidifier, you need to keep the windows and vents closed, so this is contradictory advice.

Increase air flow I've been running the air conditioner fan without the air conditioner on (because it's been cold at night). It does not seem to help.

Run a dehumidifier This helps the most but does not eliminate the problem. Also, it's hard to run the dehumidifier during the day when it's hot because then you'd have to keep the windows and vents closed. Staying in FL is hard because it can get very cold at night and very hot during the day. It's not like a normal climate which is more stable. So you have to react based upon the current temperature.

Use moisture absorbers This did not help at all. They are quickly overloaded. These may be good for small bathrooms or closets but not a bedroom.

Avoid creating extra water vapor I always vent the bathroom when taking showers, but that's about all you can practically do. I cook mostly outside.

Insulate single-pane windows This I believe might work. I am going to try the bubblewrap suggestion made in this thread. I'm working on gathering the materials now.

Warm up the floor Impracticable.

Insulate RV slide-outs I don't know how to practically accomplish this. The problem is in the bedroom anyway.

Target cold closets and cabinets In my case the target is the large bedroom window.

Buy a four-season RV My trailer is four-season rated to 0 degrees F.

Hopefully insulating the window will help. Again I'm very grateful to everyone who replied.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:

I've said that myself a few times. On the other hand, when you buy a car you don't ask if it comes with brakes and a steering wheel.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
crl

Combating Window Condensation

Quote:
I own a 2021 Jayco 27RB. I am having a rather severe issue with it that I'm trying to find a solution for.

This model has a very large windshield-type window in the front of the trailer located directly over the bed. Every night this window forms a great deal of heavy condensation on the inside of it, so much so, that it constantly drips onto the bed, soaking it thoroughly. It also causes cold air to surround the head of the bed making it very uncomfortable to sleep there.

I've tried running a dehumidifier that lowers the humidity below 25% which is well below the normal indoor humidity of 30-50%, but the condensation still forms on cooler nights. I've tried raising and lowering the indoor temperature. I've tried towels to soak up the water. Nothing helps. Every cool night (35-50 degrees F) the window forms heavy condensation, the bed becomes soaked, and the surrounding air is uncomfortably cold while the rest of the room is warm. Kind of like trying to sleep with your head in the fridge on a wet pillow. This makes it virtually impossible to use the bedroom's bed.

The bed is fixed and can't be moved.

Does anyone have any kind of a solution for this?
Until last week, we had a 2019 White Hawk that had the large window above the bed. Please keep in mind that we live in Texas, but we do camp extensively in Colorado, so we’ve dealt with the same issue.

Our solution worked fairly well. First, we bought the disposable canister dehumidifiers at Wal-Mart. Two seemed to be enough and placed on each end of the trailer. We then went back to WalMart and bought two foam pads about 3” thick that were big enough to cover the entire window. We also bought two tension shower rods that expand enough to reach across the window at top and bottom. These held the foam in place, even while traveling and did not damage the window frame.

This solved both the moisture problem and the “cold head in the bed” problem.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck!
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #15

Electric dehumidifier?
FrontierCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Until last week, we had a 2019 White Hawk that had the large window above the bed. Please keep in mind that we live in Texas, but we do camp extensively in Colorado, so we’ve dealt with the same issue.

Our solution worked fairly well. First, we bought the disposable canister dehumidifiers at Wal-Mart. Two seemed to be enough and placed on each end of the trailer. We then went back to WalMart and bought two foam pads about 3” thick that were big enough to cover the entire window. We also bought two tension shower rods that expand enough to reach across the window at top and bottom. These held the foam in place, even while traveling and did not damage the window frame.

This solved both the moisture problem and the “cold head in the bed” problem.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck!
Excellent! Thank you!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #17

Try sleeping with your head at the foot of the bed and your feet by the window, Your feet won't breath out very moist air to condense on the cold window.
(Of course then you have to deal with your head hanging over the end of the bed instead of your feet.)
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

HAL9001,

Quote:
I own a 2021 Jayco 27RB........snip......This model has a very large windshield-type window in the front of the trailer located directly over the bed.
Just curious, is this particular front cap window assembly a curved single pane, or a dual pane style window?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's why we never bought one with a window over the bed, it was an option on several MH's.

The only other way to completely prevent it is to "Stop breathing".. and we all know how that would turn out...
One of my greatest joys is to wake up early in the morning, just after sunrise, and gently push up the shade on the front window, just above the head of my queen bed, to view the deer that inevitably are walking by the front of my trailer.

Sometimes, when weather conditions are just right, the window will be fogged. Thus, I always keep a paper towel beside the bed, and I carefully wipe the window, so as to not scare the deer.

We always pull the mattress out a few inches, so if the window drips, it hits the plywood, not the mattress.

Once we get up, turn on the furnace, open a window, etc. the moisture clears. We're now experimenting with a dehumidifier that was recommended on another thread.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcpa View Post
Try sleeping with your head at the foot of the bed and your feet by the window, Your feet won't breath out very moist air to condense on the cold window.
(Of course then you have to deal with your head hanging over the end of the bed instead of your feet.)
I've actually tried this but it's oddly disorienting.