Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Jayco contacted about using Endurance tires

Hey Folks!

I'm a new used Jayco 24RKS owner and contacted Jayco for advice on upgrading from Rainier 205-75-14 tires to Goodyear Endurance 205 or 215-75-14 tires. I received this answer:
--------------------------------------------------
Good Morning Michael,

Thank you for contacting Jayco. My records indicate your tire pressure is 50 PSI. I don’t recommend adding anything higher due to it not being factory tested. Also, for the size of your tire, I don’t recommend adding anything bigger either for the same reason.

Thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone done this upgrade that currently have OEM tires? I would trust the new and more robust Goodyears more than the 2 year old tires with 7,000 miles that I have logged on them. Am planning a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska and need to upgrade.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Jinksy
jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

I would replace the rainier tires. I haven’t heard a lot of good things about them.

I replaced the stock rainier tires on my north point the day I took it home.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksy View Post
Appreciate your thoughts.
They will never recommend any kind of upgrade or change that was not an option. It's a CYA on their part. If something goes wrong you can't say "JAYCO said it was OK".
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

Most likely your rims are not rated to the air pressure that the new tire will need, so Jayco would be correct at that point. E rated tires have an 80 psi pressure and a g rated is 110 psi. On the inside rim is stamped the load rating and or psi rating. look at that. Go buy the rim stamp and not the chart our someone might inflate the tire over the recommend pressure for the rim.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

This might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goodyear rv_inflation.pdf (506.1 KB, 279 views)

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
This might help.
Murf! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can keep the OEM rims that are probably rated for 50psi. The recommended pressure for the Endurance tires for the maximum load of the trailer is perfect. I have read other posts about tires where members say "always go with the maximum pressure rating of the tire." That didn't seem right from an engineering standpoint, and going with the Goodyear chart, I can see that those tires will work. Thanks man!
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

I did this before my first trip went from Rainier 205-75-14 tires to Goodyear Endurance 215-75-14 tires. I keep them inflated to 60 psi.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

When I was looking for new tires, I called Jayco, and asked what the rims were rated for as I was buying new tires. They told me 65 psi.

Maybe just the wording used.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the input folks. I appreciate the chart Murf - if I'm reading it right, for my max trailer weight (loaded for travel) of 6,000 lbs - or about 1,500 lbs per wheel - I could run 50 to 60 psi in a 215-75-14 and the tire would be fine with that? Realizing psi adjustment for trailer ride quality.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

Your message Subject is misleading. I re-read Jayco's response several times and don't see anything about not recommending running the Goodyear Endurance tire.

The 215 75r14 tire is a little more than half an inch taller than the 205 75r14, so just make sure you have the clearance for the larger tire.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Many of us have upgraded to newer tires. When that is done, the factory sticker is no longer applicable and the consumer has to figure out what pressures to use for himself.

I'm not surprised that they declined to give you advise due to liability issues.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #12

Thanks - Got what I needed

Didn't mean to mislead anyone and thanks for updating my title line.

My confusion is that some folks are running 65 psi tires (such as 205/75/14 and 215/75/14 Goodyear Endurance tires load rating D) on OEM wheels that are not necessarily the same design and/or load rating as those installed on my 2016 24RKS trailer from the factory.

I asked Jayco the following:

I'm replacing my tires on the 2016 24RKS. My questions are: 1. if I go to a load D tire at 65 psi will my stock wheels take the pressure? 2. if I go to a 215-75-14 tire will there be enough clearance in the wheel well for the extra 1 inch height?

Thanks in advance.

Jayco responded the following when I pressed them for info:

Good Morning Michael,

Thank you for contacting Jayco. My records indicate your tire pressure is 50 PSI. I don’t recommend adding anything higher due to it not being factory tested. Also, for the size of your tire, I don’t recommend adding anything bigger either for the same reason.

Thank you

I took that to mean they don't recommend any tire upgrade outside the original OEM wheels and tires parameters.

I'm just trying to have confidence in the tire upgrade for myself by asking for other folks experience be it success or failure.

What I've learned:

1. some have been told their OEM wheels are rated for 65psi and have upgraded to a load rating D tire. My concern is that 65 psi is the top of the rating and is that a good choice. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if there is a level of safety margin built in to that condition.

2. you can run a load rating D tire at a lower than max 65 psi rating if you use the Goodyear table Murf provided. Does that mean there won't be any heat or wear issues when running a lower psi than max rating?

I appreciate the replies. I am going with the 205/75/14 Goodyear Endurance tires using my OEM wheels and watch the tire temps to adjust the inflated pressure to where it runs the coolest with my 5500 lb trailer weight. I plan on travelling for several months in Alaska starting in July. Chose the 205 because the Goodyear folks told me it might be difficult to find 215's in Alaska if needed.

Thanks for your time Folks,

Mike
Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #13

What does the load and PSI stamp inside your rims say? That is where you go to find out if your good to go or not.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
What does the load and PSI stamp inside your rims say? That is where you go to find out if your good to go or not.
That's what I heard as well but mine did not. Conferred with Jayco and the wheel manufacturer and both gave different answers. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why make it so hard to get this information? This kind of info should be readily available to the owners. They shouldn't have to guess or investigate. It can easily be printed on a sticker and attached somewhere. JMO.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
It can easily be printed on a sticker and attached somewhere. JMO.

A sticker that shows that would only be valid while the OEM rims were installed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #16

Inside the rim on every DOT approved rim is stamped a series of numbers they will tell you the weight and OR PSI rating of the rim itself. Just look there and the answer come clear. if you have no numbers then the rims are not DOT approved and are more than likely a tire and rim assembly and when the tire is bad the whole assembly is replaced..
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #17

I've had zero problems running my Goodyear Endurance 215-75-14 tires at 60 PSI, the recommended pressure on the side wall on the stock Jayco steel rims. The installer at America's Tire made no mention of rim size or rating.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
Most likely your rims are not rated to the air pressure that the new tire will need, so Jayco would be correct at that point. E rated tires have an 80 psi pressure and a g rated is 110 psi. On the inside rim is stamped the load rating and or psi rating. look at that. Go buy the rim stamp and not the chart our someone might inflate the tire over the recommend pressure for the rim.
I spoke with the rim supplier for Jayco and was told the rims are rated for 65PSI. I went to Endurance 205-75R/14 which are load rated D. Run them at 55PSI and have had no issues. Tows easier, less bounce, and feels safer.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #19

I upgraded to Goodyear Endurance D rated 2-5 75 14 tires mounted on wheels from Ecustomhitch.com for $277 delivered. I then sold the 2 year old raineers on the old wheels for a few bucks to a guy for his boat trailer.

That way I was sure my rims would hold 65 lbs and my tires would stay on the rims LOL
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksy View Post
I took that to mean they don't recommend any tire upgrade outside the original OEM wheels and tires parameters.
I think Jayco is probably concerned with you going with a larger tire, more than the different tire brand. On our Jayflight Bungalow, the tires are pretty close together (too close together to use X-Chocks). If I put larger tires on our trailer, there's a good chance they might rub. The larger tires will also raise the TT about a 1/4" which will change its center of gravity a tiny bit.

As long as there is enough space between the tires and enough room in the wheel wells, you should be okay.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote