Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
Inside the rim on every DOT approved rim is stamped a series of numbers they will tell you the weight and OR PSI rating of the rim itself. Just look there and the answer come clear. if you have no numbers then the rims are not DOT approved and are more than likely a tire and rim assembly and when the tire is bad the whole assembly is replaced..
Yes, mine are DOT rims and have the maximum weight stamped. This does NOT help much with maximum psi. It becomes a moot point if you go with the chart that Murf provided for the endurance tires, at least for my 3500 lb maximum axles.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksy View Post
Didn't mean to mislead anyone and thanks for updating my title line. (big snip)

Mike
Mike, I personally think you made the right choice. The problem that I had reading the suggestions of others is that you need to inflate the tires to the maximum rated for the tire. This is obviously incorrect.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #23

Good morning and Happy Father's Day! Yes, I got the same response from Jayco. BALDERDASH!
Talked to (4) indépendant repair facilities and to a person they said look at the inside of the wheel and see what the wheel is rated for.
We have a WhiteHawk 33 RSKS that came with ST 225/75R - 15 LR D.
I now have GY Endurance ST 225/75R - 15 LR E running 80 PSI with absolutely no problems. And love the difference in pulling just with the better load rating.
A camping friend of ours changed to a better LR but had to buy (4) new wheels due to the rating.
So, check your wheel rating and go for it!
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #24

Okay - For those of us who have been schooled to always inflate ST tires to the maximum psi on the tire's sidewall, could we please clarify?

Are we saying that the max psi on the sidewall is no longer the target if we have upgraded from a C load 50 psi to a D load 65 psi?

Are we saying that we go by the rim's weight capacity and use an inflation chart for the tire brand (like the Goodyear chart Murf provided)?

Or are we saying something else?

I just ordered Goodyear Endurance ST 205/75/14 D load tires for our TT. They are the exact same size as OE, but they are D load instead of C load. How should I inflate them?

I am getting confused . . .
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #25

I should send a picture of our rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready-to-go.jpg  
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #26

I am no engineer. However, it seems to me we have a tire that is rated to handle 2500 pounds or more at maximum inflation, and you are only putting 1500 pounds on each tire, it is over inflated and the center of your tires are going to wear out rather quickly. This is why I posted Goodyear's inflation chart for the Endurance tires.

Even SWMBO noticed the tires looked overinflated on the White Hawk. I reduced the tires by 15 psi to 45 psi. Seems to me the trailer may bounce less. We will see as we are headed for a week long trip.

Murff

P.S. Will also be the first test of the Reese Steadi Flex hitch.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #27

Murff, it is the sidewall sway and flex that will be affected. The tires are rated at maximum inflation.
If you under inflate you will have heat, bounce and sway issues that all lead to poor handling. As an Engineer and a PE, I suggest that you don't under inflate.
Just my 2 1/2 cents with.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #28

psi

I am in the same boat. I have the Rainer tires. All I want to do it upgrade to the Goodyear Endurance. I am not looking to add any weight to the RV. Just like the idea of higher rating in load and speed. I have had blowouts on my last fifth wheel. I want to prevent those as much as possible. If I run the endurance at the higher psi, but the load remains the same, it seems it would give a larger margin for load bearing. All I want to know is if the stock wheels will handle the 60-65 psi. My quest has nothing to do with the load rating.
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #29

I agree with NHstuckinGA, I think the issue is to NOT overload the wheels because you have tires that will take the extra load. Load to the capacity of the wheels and inflate the tires to what the sidewall says.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #30

Using the chart provided by Goodyear I could inflate my Goodyear Endurance tires to 55 lbs. instead of 65 as the sidewall suggests to get a better ride. But in my reading on the Goodyear site I found the following quote that indicates 65 might be the best idea.

Special Considerations
Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.

This is copied from the Goodyear RV information site. The suggestions are different for motor homes, worth reading.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/weighing-your-rv.aspx
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHstuckinGA View Post
Murff, it is the sidewall sway and flex that will be affected. The tires are rated at maximum inflation.
If you under inflate you will have heat, bounce and sway issues that all lead to poor handling. As an Engineer and a PE, I suggest that you don't under inflate.
Just my 2 1/2 cents with.
Not to dispute your professional opinion, but I feel if Goodyear wanted everyone to inflate the Endurance tires to the maximum psi, all of their literature would state that and they would not publish a tire inflation chart in a brochure or on their website. Using their chart, I am not under inflating.

My trailer's GVWR is 5950 lbs. I can see why I don't need as much air in my tires as someone whose rig has a 9000 pound rating.

Personally, I want more tire meeting the road. At 65 psi, I have to believe I am overinflated and will wear out the centers of my tires and also have less stopping ability in an emergency.

Murff

Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue712 View Post
I am in the same boat. I have the Rainer tires. All I want to do it upgrade to the Goodyear Endurance. I am not looking to add any weight to the RV. Just like the idea of higher rating in load and speed. I have had blowouts on my last fifth wheel. I want to prevent those as much as possible. If I run the endurance at the higher psi, but the load remains the same, it seems it would give a larger margin for load bearing. All I want to know is if the stock wheels will handle the 60-65 psi. My quest has nothing to do with the load rating.
X2 This is exactly my situation. If my OE rims are rated for 65 psi or higher, I will set the D-load Endurance tires at 65 psi. I do not know from the markings on my rims what their psi rating is. I have asked Jayco, but I have not heard back from them.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #33

I have a 2005 Jay feather 25z that I bought used in December of 2014. The dealer I bought it from had put new tires on it. I had never heard of the brand of tire so last year I replaced them. I called Jayco about increasing the load range from "C" to "D" and the only information I received was the name of there supplier for my trailer. The suppliers name is Tredit Tire and Wheel at tredittire.com. I could not find any information in there web site about rated tire pressue for my wheels so I call them at (855)877-3348. My wheels are chrome and I was informed by them that my wheels are rated for 65 psi and that there would be no problem increasing the load range on my tires to "D". I keep the tire pressure at 65 psi and I have had no issues so far with this tire pressure.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
The suppliers name is Tredit Tire and Wheel at tredittire.com. I could not find any information in there web site about rated tire pressue for my wheels so I call them at (855)877-3348.
This is the same information I received from Jayco. I called Tredit Tire and Wheel at the above number and spoke with a technician.

The stock rims are rated at 65PSI. Call and speak to them. They will verify the maximum pressure they are rated at.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #35

Another couple of opinions on tire inflation:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...re-in-your-rv/

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-...-in-your-tires

Murff

Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #36

Endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksy View Post
Hey Folks!

I'm a new used Jayco 24RKS owner and contacted Jayco for advice on upgrading from Rainier 205-75-14 tires to Goodyear Endurance 205 or 215-75-14 tires. I received this answer:
--------------------------------------------------
Good Morning Michael,

Thank you for contacting Jayco. My records indicate your tire pressure is 50 PSI. I don’t recommend adding anything higher due to it not being factory tested. Also, for the size of your tire, I don’t recommend adding anything bigger either for the same reason.

Thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone done this upgrade that currently have OEM tires? I would trust the new and more robust Goodyears more than the 2 year old tires with 7,000 miles that I have logged on them. Am planning a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska and need to upgrade.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Jinksy
We have a 2017 16XRB with over 17,700 miles, over 14,000 on GY Endurance 215-75-14 at 60 psi. No tire problems. Jayco okayed tire upgrade on stock rims via email. Jayco uses Endurance as stock now and for a reason. I'd get the Endurance if your rims are rated for 60-65 psi.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #37

So I have done this, and went about it a little different way, I emailed Jayco my serial number and asked them what the maximum PSI my rims were rated at (I have the boring old standard white rims). They told me the manufacturer was Tredit and per the manufacturer they were rated to 80PSI. I didn't ask them if X tires would work on the trailer.

I have over 4000 miles on the Endurance so far, they are running at around 80.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #38

That’s Jayco’s standard answer. They “play it safe” and don’t recommend anything not standard. I would definitely make the change BUT make sure your rims are rated for the required psi of the tire you select.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #39

I asked Jayco for the psi capacity of my OE rims. They said that they do not know and told me to inflate the tires to the maximum on the sidewall. What if I was putting E rated tires on? According to their weak reply, I could put 80 psi in a tire on my OE rims. Of course, I am being sarcastic with their sorry response. I am going to install the D rated Endurance tires and set them between 60-65 psi.

The rims are not marked; Jayco is clueless as to what they put on my TT, and it looks like Goodyear recommends following their chart for psi based on load weight. So as per the usual, I will make a the best call that I can with no thanks to Jayco, my mediocre to lame vehicle manufacturer (depends on the issue). But that's my rating of Jayco based on my experience with them and their product. I have had worse, but I hope to someday have better.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:11 AM   #40
Site Team

If you go to the Tredit website, you can see pages of pictures of their rims with the rim specs. The picture of your rim should not be hard to find and the specs are listed.

That's how I found mine. My steel rim had a sticker "inside" the rim, where the air is. The cast aluminum had it stamped on on of the spokes on the back.

http://tredittire.com/wheels
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote