Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #1

Jayco Eagle 314TSBH bunkhouse A/C concern

Happy Holidays to all. I have a 2015 Jayco Eagle 314TSBH travel trailer we purchased used last March 2019. We did several trips last summer and the grand kiddies are really enjoying the large double slide bunkhouse. The only complaint is the single A/C unit seems to not cool the bunkhouse that well. The A/C unit is mounted closer to the front of the trailer than the rear. You can hang meat in the front bedroom while the bunkhouse is not very cool at all. I've been closing the front bedroom vents but it doesn't seem to help cool the bunkhouse any better. I'm thinking a 37' trailer should probably have two A/C units. I don't see me installing a second A/C unit due to price and a 30 amp service. Anyone have a trailer with a similar problem? If so what did you do to correct it? Thanks
Old 12-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Easiest way given your setup is a fan. A good floor fan that you can direct it up into the bunkhouse area.

Good luck.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:06 AM   #3

I have seen threads on here about sealing the a/c vents to increase flow. Some people have said it helps.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #4

I like the fan idea. Pop-Up campers come with small 12 volt fans to pump heat in the main cabin into the tent ends. I don't recommend these fans, because they are small, inefficient, and noisy. But there are lots of 120 volt fans that move a lot of air and are quite quiet. The basic oscillating fan is a good example, but you can do better with a fixed fan with a ducted housing.

It might also be worthwhile to see if you have a blockage in the AC ducting to the rear of the coach. You say that it gets like an ice box up front, but closing the front vents doesn't really improve air flow to the back. That suggests that airflow to the rear may be blocked. Perhaps some insulation or even a mouse nest is blocking the AC ducts going to the rear. You might test my using the exhaust side of a shop-vac to blow air into the vents at the rear of the trailer...pushing the air backwards toward the AC unit. The vacuum will move a LOT of air, so there should be considerable airflow back through the AC system. If not, perhaps there is a blockage that can be corrected. This may require removing the AC unit to give you access to the ducting, but you may solve a problem that enables your AC to perform as it should.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll check for air flow restrictions and if that checks out I'll be rigging up some fans. Someone needs to come up with a portable A/C unit for travel trailers....