Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Jayco Flight 32TSBH

I just picked up my new 32TSBH last week, haven't had opportunity to take it out yet. It has the outside kitchen feature and I noticed yesterday that the Danby Designer fridge in it was running constantly. I tried to find thermostat to turn it to 0, but could not locate it, even using the manual. I tried to unplug it, but the cord goes into a hole in the cabinet top and disappears underneath. The only way to get to it would be remove a drawer, with requires disassembly of the drawer guide. this is way to complicated for every time I want to turn fridge on or off. I contacted Jayco and they stated the thermostat is on back side. The unit is bolted into cabinet, so no way to get to the thermostat. This means the fridge will run constantly, even when the unit is stored, if the trailer power cord is plugged in. Jayco suggested using the breaker to shut it off, but this still doesn't solve resetting of temperature in the fridge if needed. Anyone else run into this problem and has Jayco offered any assistance with it?
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #2

You could break it. Just kidding. Can you get tot the outlet and wire a switch to it?
Bruck!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

Or use a power strip with surge protection and switch between the outlet and fridge. This way the power strip stays in the outside kitchen and only the strips cord feeds through the access to the TT outlet.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

I considered installing a switch, but doesn't solve the problem of resetting the thermostat if needed. Just poor planning on the part of Jayco not to see this. they now suggestion using a mirror to try to see thermostat to reset. Guess I will have to purchase another on my own that has a visible thermostat, seems a shame after spending all that money for a new unit, though.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

We have the outside fridge in our White Hawk, and it is installed in a neat little housing in the front pass through storage area. To turn it off, I have to crawl into the storage area and find the little black knob on the back of the fridge to turn it off. It helps if you have a small flashlight to see what the heck you're doing. Don't know if this will help you with your situation, though.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #6

My 32BHSD has the thermostat on the inside in plain view. The drawer us super easy to take out. No disassembly required. I think it has two rocker tabs you flip and the drawer pulls out. I would find where the thermostat is, and double-side tape a mirror on the back wall so I could read the setting. I have to believe the thermostat is easily accessible from the edge of either side.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Congrats on the new trailer! We just got our new 32 TSBH home today aswell and noticed the fridge running in the outside kitchen. There are two little tabs on either side of the drawer which make it easy to reach in and unplug the fridge. I'm going to put a small switched power bar on the left side of the fridge and plug the fridge into that so it's easy to switch on and off. Lovin the new trailer so far..may have to sleep in it tonight with the kids! Overall fit and finish very good. I'm pretty picky and went over it thoroughly at the dealer... I found a few little dings and marks but they had already made note of them and will have them taken care of. Can't wait to go camping! Does anyone know what that little danby fridge uses for power? Watts/Amps?
Air lift 5000 Air bags, 3.73 gears
2013 Jayco 32TSBH - Elite, Thermal, Outdoor kitchen :)
Lycheers LED colour awning lights :)
14Ft Naden D\W 15hp Evinrude
NrthrnCmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Our new Eagle has the same fridge there is a round dial inside the fridge with numbers, just left of small freezer pocket.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #9

I purchased the power bar and installed yesterday, as I finally noticed no electrical outlet provided in the outside kitchen and needed one for the morning coffee. It works fine. I got a mirror and a stepladder and found the thermostat located on top rear of the fridge on right side. Using mirror, I was able to see the dial and numerals, set it about where I thought was right and will just leave it there. Still think Jayco should have seen this before sending the units out. I looked at a PrimeTime unit at dealership Saturday that had same set up with a Danby Designer fridge, but it had the thermostat inside the unit at the ceiling. Guess that costs a few bucks more and Jayco wouldn't spring for it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #10

Just received this email from Jayco concerning the fridge:
"Jayco has no alternate options for you.As you know, production is subject to change without notice.In this case, Danby changed the configuration of the refrigerator without notice to the distributor or Jayco.We would recommend setting the thermostat to the desired temperature and leave it set for future use.I would suggest that if this had been of critical important relative to the trailer purchase, it would have addressed at the time of sale.Jayco does not recognize this as a production error or manufacturing defect." Guess the price I paid wasn't enough. Oh, well.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Jayco doesn't own Danby or the Chinese supplier - while I feel for you, this won't affect your unit beyond setting the thermostat and moving on. I'm sure the fridge showed up with the changes after Jayco bought a shipment of them. My unit has an April build date and the fridge has the knob inside. What is your build date?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

Mine has a build date of 20 Mar 13. Dial is on the back, it really doesn't bother me. Put the power bar in...all good Loving the trailer!
Air lift 5000 Air bags, 3.73 gears
2013 Jayco 32TSBH - Elite, Thermal, Outdoor kitchen :)
Lycheers LED colour awning lights :)
14Ft Naden D\W 15hp Evinrude
NrthrnCmpr is offline   Reply With Quote