Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Jayco Flight/Swift line ... Post RV show (26BH, 264BH)

We attended our local RV show this past weekend to find our fist camper. Originally we had eyes for the Jayco hybrids but really like the Jayco Flight/Swift non slide bunkhouse models with an edge to the Flight with the nicer furnishings/lighting etc. A few questions....

Concerns issue with aluminum siding vs fiberglass siding ( Flight/Swift have an option to add)
If you have a non-slide do you wish you have gone with a model with a slide?
Concerns issues with wood framing vs aluminum framing like in the White Hawk line?
bbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Site Team

I would have no concerns buying an aluminum sided "stick and tin" trailer, they have been around for decades. Same goes for the wood framing.

Having slide(s) is a personal choice, depending on how much room you want, they also add weight to the unit. Most trailers today have slides. A slide can make a dramatic difference in the room you have in the unit. Our first trailer was a non slide model, our current one has a sofa slide and if I were to buy one today it would have a larger slide, or two.

A discussion on siding:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=siding
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

We have 2 campers, one with a slide and one without a slide, the one without a slide is a Hi-Lo and sits in the yard and only used twice a year, it is 22 feet long and has no room at all, if somebody is making a sandwich there is no room for 2 people to walk thru, our Jayco with a slide is at a seasonal campground you have enough room to dance it has so much space. The next unit I buy will have at least 2 slides for even more room.
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #4

X2

The only thing I do not like about some of the Swifts is the side wall AC mount. I have heard a lot about water leaks from them. Otherwise the general construction is all about the same.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

The DW and I have owned our 26BH for about a year and our space complaints are minimal while camping with our 5 and 10 year old. We have some friends that have 3 children (about 2, 6 and 10) and they feel cramped in the kitchen area of their 26BH. I try to cook outside to avoid the crowding issue or have the kids stay in their bunks until I'm done cooking but I'll probably move up to a slide when the kids get bigger. A slide adds several hundred pounds over and non-slide so a slider is out of the question with my current TV.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Selling my 26BH now. It was great with 2 kids but 3 made things get tight. Our issue is deducated beds and bunk area storage for 3; not so much living space.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #7

i also have the 26BH and i dont care about the extra room its fine for me, it mostly just a place to sleep, the wife always complains about not having a slide, the extra weight of the slide was a deal breaker for me cause i had to be able to bring my boat and its already pushing it as it is with my truck

if it is up to you then dont worry about the slide, if the wife is on the fence about it and you have the TV to handle it, get the slide, it will make your life easier
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

The Jay Flight 26BH is rated #1000 higher in GVWR then the Swift. We liked our 26BH but felt cramped for space in the living area. Also the bedroom is not totally separated from the living area.

We love the space in our 27DSRL and the fact that the living area is fully separated from the bedroom by the bath. Some people do not like the idea of having to walk thru the bath to get to the bedroom. However in our case DW can watch TV in bedroom and I can read in living room without hearing her TV. Our current trailer is #1000 heavier than the 26BH, however we upgraded our TV before getting it.

26BH does not have much counter space and I am much more comfortable in a table and chair setup

If I were in the market for a Jay Flight I would not pay extra for fiberglass. Aluminum siding is cheaper and easier to repair.

The floor plan is probably the most important factor in your selection of the right trailer.

You must have a TV capable of safely pulling whatever you end up with!!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #9

We own a 264BH and absolutely love it. There's plenty of space for my DW, myself, our two dogs, and an occasional grand child or two. We thought about getting a TT with a slide, but opted not to do it because of the additional weight and maintenance. How much space is enough, that's simply a matter of personal preference. We also like the aluminum skin as opposed to fiberglass because it stands up much better to years of exposure to the elements.
Good luck with your decision.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

1st two TT did not have slides. Looked for a year to find a bigger TV so we could get our new TT with 2 slide outs. If it was just me and the DW then a slide would not be required but with 4 kids and 3 dogs we neded the extra room.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #11

We went for the Flight over the Swift because of the slight bump in styling/amenities, though the weight savings of the Swift was very attractive.

There is plenty of debate about aluminum vs fiberglass. I got aluminum because it was what the trailer I chose came with. And I'll never have a delamination issue.

Wood vs. Aluminum frame is a non-issue for me, but I could see the appeal of Aluminum; again choose based on floorplan and TV capabilities.

As for slide vs no slide; We looked at both bunkhouse models and for reasons already mentioned (significant increase in space), we went with the slide. We have been cramped into small RVs and have tripped over eachother and the dog enough that the slide was a must for us despite the weight increase. Case in point: Last November, we had 9 people plus our 55 lb mutt visiting for 2 meals in our RV and had plenty of space for everyone, the only thing we lacked was a place for the people on the couch to set down their drink while eating off their plate. I can't express enough how nice it was for the whole family to be together in our trailer and comfortable.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

We love our 26BH with no slides.
We use the trailer mostly for sleeping when camping so there is no need for us to live inside of it.
I guess the slides would come in handy if you have more people or if you spend a lot of time inside of it.
For us the weight was the main reason we did not get a slide.
2 Adults 2 grown up children and a small dog fit comfortably in out TT
Chomperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

I am torn between Jayco Jay Fright 26bh or Swift 264bh. It will just be me and the dog. Last kids is almost to High school, She barely have time with her dad. However wanted to get bunk for her in case. I saw how they converted the bunk room to a small office. I plan to do that when she is in college. So I can put a table and put my computer in the bunk room. Don't removed the wood trim on the wall that support the bunk in case you plan to sell in the future. Thought to share....

So let me know if you have 26bh or 264bh. Didnt want the slide. TV is 2013 Ford F150.
Jwunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

I just bought the 267 BHS. The DW really wanted the extra room, and man, am I happy that I listened. We have a three year old little girl, and she has plenty of room to do whatever she wants, and we can still walk around without everyone running into each other. The other thing I liked about the 2014 was the darker wood interior, I am amazed at how much nicer the interior of TT are looking. It is also stick and tin (is that what ya'll call it), and I really can't complain or wish for the fiberglass. Find the layout you like, and you will be happy with the exterior.
H1aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwunsch View Post
I am torn between Jayco Jay Fright 26bh or Swift 264bh. It will just be me and the dog. Last kids is almost to High school, She barely have time with her dad. However wanted to get bunk for her in case. I saw how they converted the bunk room to a small office. I plan to do that when she is in college. So I can put a table and put my computer in the bunk room. Don't removed the wood trim on the wall that support the bunk in case you plan to sell in the future. Thought to share....

So let me know if you have 26bh or 264bh. Didnt want the slide. TV is 2013 Ford F150.
I absolutely love this idea. If I weren't about to expand my family, I would VERY seriously consider doing this or something similar. As it is, we have a bambino/a on the way, so I'll need the bunks

Afterall, that's what I bought them for...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomperoni View Post
We love our 26BH with no slides.
We use the trailer mostly for sleeping when camping so there is no need for us to live inside of it.
I guess the slides would come in handy if you have more people or if you spend a lot of time inside of it.
For us the weight was the main reason we did not get a slide.
2 Adults 2 grown up children and a small dog fit comfortably in out TT
X2
We just bought the 264BH with the option of the double bunk beds. With two boys one 8 and the other 16 they are comfortable in their bunks and have room to move around.
The dealer had a 267 slide but given the weight and extra cost I did not see the need. We are very active and outside most of the time so moving around the trailer has not been an issue.

Given that we have only been on a couple of trips I can't say if I will or would want a slide. Heading out Friday to Palo Duro Canyon State Park (Canyon TX) this weekend with the mountain bikes...
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanracing View Post
X2
We just bought the 264BH with the option of the double bunk beds. With two boys one 8 and the other 16 they are comfortable in their bunks and have room to move around.
The dealer had a 267 slide but given the weight and extra cost I did not see the need. We are very active and outside most of the time so moving around the trailer has not been an issue.

Given that we have only been on a couple of trips I can't say if I will or would want a slide. Heading out Friday to Palo Duro Canyon State Park (Canyon TX) this weekend with the mountain bikes...
3 kids from 2-6. That's why we moved up to the 287 with a slide. Can't turn the little ones loose outside.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #18

We picked the 264BH over the 26BH for the same reasons as some others have said, less weight and cost. We move up from a hybrid to the 264. Only had it home for a week now and haven't had a chance to make it to a campground yet.

2014 Jayco Swift 264BH
2010 Ford F150 STX
Gerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #19

As tanracing said.. We have 2 boys as well. But we do try to spend as much time outside as possible.. (That's why we are camping).. Would a slide be nice.... Sure... But we have gone out with 2 adults 3 kids and a dog and have had more than enough room... Use a popup for a few years and the 264 is like a McMansion..

You should have no problem turning that back area into a small office. Just remember your water heater is back there so you will have to make sure it is inclosed..

Personal note to tanracing... We looked at the dates for Jellystone and couldn't do it.. Thanks though....

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote