Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

Jayco frameless window unsafe

Have 2018 Jayco whitehawk 29fls with frameless windows which pulse or vibrate so badly on road they will not stay closed. One has shattered already while driving. Jayco totally unresponsive to issue. Know other owner same model same problems. Bad design no positive locking mechanism. Even if they stay closed you can see window pulse and vibrate bowing out. Expect more breakage and they wont even sell replacement glass. Must buy entire window assembly frame and all. So what should cost $50 costs hundreds. Had one break so far. Constantly have to stop on interstate to reclose window. Pathetic.
Whfoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whfoxt View Post
Have 2018 Jayco whitehawk 29fls with frameless windows which pulse or vibrate so badly on road they will not stay closed. One has shattered already while driving. Jayco totally unresponsive to issue. Know other owner same model same problems. Bad design no positive locking mechanism. Even if they stay closed you can see window pulse and vibrate bowing out. Expect more breakage and they wont even sell replacement glass. Must buy entire window assembly frame and all. So what should cost $50 costs hundreds. Had one break so far. Constantly have to stop on interstate to reclose window. Pathetic.
We've been fortunate with ours so far. Time will tell I guess. About a thousand miles on it to date.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:

Take a moment and Google RV frameless window problems. You will quickly find that this is not a Jayco issue but rather one that is happening across the RV industry.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Take a moment and Google RV frameless window problems. You will quickly find that this is not a Jayco issue but rather one that is happening across the RV industry.
Yep JAYCO doesn't make them... and with LIPPERT buying up every supplier, what do they do?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

One more reason to purchase a metal sided RV rather than the plastic sided ones...Go for functionality over "looks cool".. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

So far so good with two different trailers with this type of window. As far as them loosening up, not a chance with ours. They get so stuck to the seal when closed, you actually have to turn the knob about 1/2 turn then wait for them to slowly detach from the seal.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Just wondering, are/were they tight before they broke? If you press on them from the inside, do they move or something? Or they were loose fitting and broke because they were able to move? I cannot see how they could vibrate if they are closed? Pictures?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

2 1/2 years and 11,000 miles and no problems.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #9

No, Jayco doesn't make them, but they choose to install them on the units they sell.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Yes we make sure all are dogged down tightly. The problem imho is the vibrations. It causes the closing mechanism to slowly loosen i.e. rotating open. You can see the really severe flexing and pulsing of the window on the road. They are just automotive glass only affixed to top hinge point and bottom sliding arms. The wind flexes them in and out rapidly at their centerline. Eventually it loosens and swings open on the bottom.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #11

To update. Today I received two calls from Jayco on this. They are talking to the manufacturer to see what might be done. Will update as things progress.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes we make sure all are dogged down tightly. The problem imho is the vibrations. It causes the closing mechanism to slowly loosen i.e. rotating open. You can see the really severe flexing and pulsing of the window on the road. They are just automotive glass only affixed to top hinge point and bottom sliding arms. The wind flexes them in and out rapidly at their centerline. Eventually it loosens and swings open on the bottom.
Good to hear they are trying to help.

I have only had them a little over a year counting both trailers. The only time I saw anything like what you are describing, I (well dw) left it slightly loose.

I have to wonder if the is something wrong with your latches or whatever they are called on this type of window. Does the emergency escape window do the same thing? I know mine have a different latch on those.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Good to hear they are trying to help.

I have only had them a little over a year counting both trailers. The only time I saw anything like what you are describing, I (well dw) left it slightly loose.

I have to wonder if the is something wrong with your latches or whatever they are called on this type of window. Does the emergency escape window do the same thing? I know mine have a different latch on those.
The emergency escape latches are actually a better design as they have a positive locking design that locks mechanically and physically. Whereas the standard crank has no locking/latching feature of any kind. Therein lies the problem. I had to come up with a way to reorient the crank knob so a small bungee cord could hook on it and be used to apply some constant slight closing torque to the mechanism to keep it closed on the road. Another owner I know is trying to address the flexing and buffeting of the glass itself by affixing a length of aluminum angle stock to the inside of the glass as a stiffener with double sided tape. We may try that as well.

Oh, just got email from Jayco they want to inspect window so we'll see where that goes.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #14

Look closely at one of the lower corners of the windows and there will be a label with a name and some numbers. This name is the manufacturer of the windows. Maybe contact them directly or take this info and contact Duncan systems www.rvglass.com. They sell windows and glass to the glass replacement market. Maybe they can help with the issue or sell you a new window cheaper than directly from Jayco
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:

Oh, just got email from Jayco they want to inspect window so we'll see where that goes.
I guess my windows are different in some way at the crank. Mine is more of a flat knob. Thus far both sets of windows seal tight. I would like to see pictures of what your crank looks like, at some point.

When you say Jayco emailed, are you talking about Jayco or the local dealership?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #16

I would guess that a glass shop might be able to costum order or costum have made the glass. It may be cheaper than replacing the whole window. Just tossing out a idea. Compair costs.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #17

I think his rv is still under warranty, or at least close enough. I would be trying to get Jayco to look at the problem.

I think I would be reporting this on the NHSTA website.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
2 1/2 years and 11,000 miles and no problems.
Close to 8000 miles in a little over a year and no issues, other than at times forgetting to crank them all the way shut.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #19

Mine have been OK and had my dealer check out one of the extension arms and they ?repaired it. The window no longer loosens out. BUT....we were sideswiped by a pick up/travel trailer last week and their awning fixtures took out the upper bathroom window...now driving around with duct tape and cardboard enclosing the window until repaired.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #20

2018 Jayco 321RSTS

Several thousand miles on rig so far....no issue with windows. I do have double pane insulated windows.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote