Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

Jayco Hummingbird

Hello
We are new to the Hummingbird 17RK. We used to have a 145rb. The Hummingbird has a slide out Dinette refrigerator combo. We have a basic newbie question. Does the slide out work with the 12 volt battery? In case we pull into a campground with no electricity which seems to happen here in Colorado. Is there anything we should be aware of before using the slide out with the 12-volt battery? Thanks everyone for any information
LadyLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #2

Yes the slide works on 12V, just make sure your trailer battery has a good charge or worst comes worst just hook up harness back up to your tow vehicle. When you are ready to open the slide, just make sure there is enough clearance.

When you are store or not using the trailer, just unhook your battery or install a master kill switch cause the smoke and co2 detector will drain you battery.

Enjoy

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

As a back up learn how to crank it in with a socket wrench. I carry a 5/8" socket with me just in case I don't have enough power. Yours might not be a 5/8" so dbl check and then you'll be all set just in case.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #4

I carry an extra motor and gear box with me because so far I've seen two units go south over the last 5-6 years and it's always happened when it's time to leave and their not sitting on a shelf somewhere just down the road. Yes $500 is a little pricey but a service call and install will run you around a $1,000 and you'll be late for your next reservation. Anyway this is where you crank it in or out so get familiar with its location on your unit and bring a small tarp 5x7 with you. I travel around 10 weeks at a time with mutable stops so for me it's good insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

Thank you Yugo and Trunce
And to Trunce another question please? We would feel better with a backup manual crank for emergencies as you suggested . We have a Lippert slide out motor and we're told at Camping World that if we were stuck somewhere and couldn't retract it that there was no manual way to pull it in, ie. a crank. And in such a situation we were just to call for a service call. Does anyone with a Lippert motor Drive know if there is a way to manually crank it? Thanks again...
Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

Mine is a Lippert and the picture just shows the gear box without the motor attached. If you want a picture of both I'll look for one now and if I don't have one I'll get under the trailer tomorrow and snap one for ya.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #7

Found one for ya and it shows the assembly attached to the frame. Now there's a hole in the frame where the crank post sticks through on the other side. It's really easy to do ( at least on mine) and yours should be just about the same if not the same as this one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #8

This might be a better view for you showing the motor in front and gear box to the frame. I'm going to say Camoing World is wrong on this one and all Lipperts have a crank. Call Lippert Monday and talk to a tech and get it from the horses mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 AM   #9

Tunce ,thank you so very much for the informative pictures and explanation. Yes I will call Lippert on Monday and be sure. We would rather be prepared then caught waiting some hours for a service guy to find us. Happy travels
LL
Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #10

Well okay here comes another newbie question... I've had so much success with my first question and the informative responses.
We just picked up the trailer about a month ago and with the holidays have not had a chance move it from the back yard on a trip. Went to if the slide out worked on 12 volts when we discovered that are 12 volt Supply doesn't work at all! No lights nothing worked when we were disconnected from AC. According to the light up dials the battery is fully charged as it should be. So okay, is there any troubleshooting we can do before calling Camping World Service on Monday?
Thanks again informative group
LL
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #11

Welcome! We have the RB Hummingbird, Make sure you check all your Breakers and fuses. "Check the 30 amp fuse by your tongue jack!" That one will kill all your 12v power! As for cranking your slide? I was told when we bought ours we had to manually push the slide end. Don't worry you won't have any issue,slides are not that big on Hummingbirds
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #12

Have same camper. Without a kill switch on the battery you will have to totally dead battery in 5 days with not charge on it.
Nothing will work. I mean nothing.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #13

Forward fuse on frame behind the propane tank.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

FYI - The Hummingbird slide motors do not have the hand crank option available. The HB's use a Schwintek In-Wall Slide System.

If something fails you have to physically disengage the motors and manually push the slide in and then use a travel lock on top to secure it for travel.

We carry a piece of wood cut to the correct length to act as a travel lock in case we have to manually operate our slide while out of town.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #15

Thanks for the video! I wonder how you release the motor. Just watch it again Ah, 2 motors
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
Thanks for the video! I wonder how you release the motor. Just watch it again Ah, 2 motors
Yep, fast forward to 1:53 to see the manual retraction instructions.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote