Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Jayco Hummingbird Quality

I have a new Jayco Hummingbird and am very disappointed with the quality of the build. The first issue was that the license plate holder came loose and after closer inspection, one of the two screws used to attach it to the trailer went into the hole used to pass the license light wire through (See Photo). The second issue is that the screws used to hold a drawer to the drawer slides are so small that they lasted one trip and pulled out of the drawer, I have repaired this with larger screws, so the issue is either poor engineering design or someone used the wrong screws to attach the drawer. The third issue is that they installed a molding near the entry door that was too long and instead of cutting it to the right size, they just nailed and glued it with the end overlapping a higher piece of wood (See Photo). The fourth issue is that there is a piece of molding that has never been properly glued to a cabinet (See Photo). The engineering for the screen door latch is unacceptable, the screws require the use of a square end screw driver (Not everyone has one of those in their tool bag). Even if they did have one, the screws easily strip out the soft material in the door. There are other issues like screws holding the seats in place coming out of the wall (Reinstalled and still come out on the road). My overall impression is that there is little quality control at the factory and it would make a lot of sense to fix these problems at the factory rather than having a dealer do the required fixes. I have attached photos of the issues.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
License Holder.jpg   Drawer Screws.jpg   Door Moulding.jpg   Counter Moulding.jpg   Screen Door Latch.jpg  

sinnott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

I took my Daughter to the Seattle RV show because she was interested in the Bird but she was greatly disappointed. The only one that she would be interested in at this point is one made in BC Canada, it's called the Bigfoot and it's more expensive but the quality is a huge factor to her and she said " now I can justify that price". And now I'm looking at one too just because of the quality.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I took my Daughter to the Seattle RV show because she was interested in the Bird but she was greatly disappointed. The only one that she would be interested in at this point is one made in BC Canada, it's called the Bigfoot and it's more expensive but the quality is a huge factor

There is another one up the road from you in BC, Escape Trailers. Great quality and high resale value. Just a couple of hours away from Seattle.
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusBC View Post
There is another one up the road from you in BC, Escape Trailers. Great quality and high resale value. Just a couple of hours away from Seattle.
I'll be sure to tell her and check them out.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #5

Checked out the Escape, they look great!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I'll be sure to tell her and check them out.
Thanks
In addition to BigFoot and Escape, you guys also have dealers for Outdoors RV and Northwoods Manufacturing products. I am watching them along with Oliver for our next unit, but we have a while to go before we will be ready. If I could, I would be looking at all of these makes. We have to wait until our next trip out west; we have no dealers for them in the Deep South. Keep us posted!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnott4 View Post
I have a new Jayco Hummingbird and am very disappointed with the quality of the build. The first issue was that the license plate holder came loose and after closer inspection, one of the two screws used to attach it to the trailer went into the hole used to pass the license light wire through (See Photo). The second issue is that the screws used to hold a drawer to the drawer slides are so small that they lasted one trip and pulled out of the drawer, I have repaired this with larger screws, so the issue is either poor engineering design or someone used the wrong screws to attach the drawer. The third issue is that they installed a molding near the entry door that was too long and instead of cutting it to the right size, they just nailed and glued it with the end overlapping a higher piece of wood (See Photo). The fourth issue is that there is a piece of molding that has never been properly glued to a cabinet (See Photo). The engineering for the screen door latch is unacceptable, the screws require the use of a square end screw driver (Not everyone has one of those in their tool bag). Even if they did have one, the screws easily strip out the soft material in the door. There are other issues like screws holding the seats in place coming out of the wall (Reinstalled and still come out on the road). My overall impression is that there is little quality control at the factory and it would make a lot of sense to fix these problems at the factory rather than having a dealer do the required fixes. I have attached photos of the issues.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I am sorry for this, but you must know that you will discover more as you go. Fix and improve things yourself as best as you can. That is how it works with the slam-bam RV makes, such as Jayco. You can easily purchase a set of square bits for the screws for little expense. I have many different sizes. You can buy a set that has several square and star bits; they will serve you very well. You will likely need to do some reengineering for the screws to seat solidly. RV ownership requires creativity and resourcefulness in the hardware store where fasteners, glues, caulk, and building materials are your quest. You have to do what should have been done the first time by the manufacturer.

I will not purchase another slam-bam unit. I have easily spent more than enough time and money to warrant a more expensive and more carefully made small production unit. Next time.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

I guess the thing that bugs me about this type of stuff is that we're not talking about a lot of money and time to do them right. The other issue for me is that the customer should never see these things if the dealer is doing what in my mind they are suppose to be doing, a thorough going over of the unit before it gets delivered to the customer.

Now you've got a ticked off customer and given the prevalence of social media a bunch of potential customers that are going to have a low opinion of Jayco because an extra hour or so of labor wasn't invested in fixing these issues ahead of time.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Unfortunately Jayco is not alone. Every maker will have something that should have been fixed before it even left the factory. I kind of feel sorry for the dealers who have to fix/repair things they shouldn't have to. QC is minimal in so many things today. The way they mass produce these things is ridiculous.
When we purchased our Hummingbird we went through it tongue jack to bumper, inside and out. It's our 5th camper (downsized from 37' 5er) so we knew what to look for. It was very clean upon first inspection, no sawdust in the cabinets, etc. I later found out every one of their campers goes thru an extensive cleaning before they are shown to potential customers. There were a few minor things like the rear window tilt wand didn't work properly and a couple other very small things. Gave salesperson our list of 'fix it' items and said don't call us until it's all done. He called the next day and said everything was done. Went to do PDI and everything went according to plan.

We have looked at alot of new campers over the years, on lots & at shows, and can't believe the condition some dealers show campers. IMHO it says alot about the dealer. Weather you look at a MH or popup customers should expect better.
Just my 2 cents.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #10

I don't feel sorry for the dealers since I think part of their job is to catch and fix the things that either aren't done correctly at the factory or get out of adjustment while in transit from the factory to the dealer. This is especially true with respect to cosmetic things that aren't going to cost a lot of time and money to fix but mean a lot when it comes to the customer's opinion of product quality.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I don't feel sorry for the dealers since I think part of their job is to catch and fix the things that either aren't done correctly at the factory

We should feel sorry for them because its reflected in the price we pay for the TT. Your paying shop rate for those repairs in the selling price of that unit. There's a cost work sheet for each unit to be sold.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Bought are Hummingbird RB a little over a year ago with only minor issue, recall on led lights, hot & cold water line on faucet needed swap around, 1 vent on AC needs fix Hard to open and close, Biggest issue is entrance door, inside has a 1 inch cut. Operates ok, should be here soon. Under Warranty. Went to Florida last year for 3 months with it. Everything worked as it should! really can't complain. Good little TT for the price.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

Unfortunately that not there only problem! Its getting those warranty items repaired. We are 11 months out of warranty still have a long list not resolved. Have written president of Jayco twice just ignores us. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #14

We’ve had very few issues and only a couple I even bothered having fixed under warranty. The warranty work was all completed quick and easy with no questions.

Overall our Hummingbird has been great.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #15

Seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper to build the TT right the first time rather than having the dealer fix this after the fact. Just think about the poor press and additional postings like mine that cast a poor light on the product.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #16

Maybe not from what you read from forum members! The money is made when they move the campers off the dealers lot. There seems to be very little interest from the dealers or Jayco to resolve warranty after that. Or qualified techs to do the work! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
RV Techs.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #17

Any information on replacing vent in hummingbird with 12 volt fan without resealing opening on roof would be appreciated.
tomricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomricci View Post
Any information on replacing vent in hummingbird with 12 volt fan without resealing opening on roof would be appreciated.
If it's a standard 14" vent then look at Heng's Vortex upgrades. This is a conversion kit that will allow you to install a 12V fan in the existing vent. You will need to find some place close by to tap into the 12v system. Often times there are lights close by that you can tap into. I installed a Vortex I in the bathroom vent and a Vortex II in the main vent of our 195RB this spring and both work quite well.

Vortex Powered Vent Fan Upgrade
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #19

I've owned a Starcraft pop-up, an Outback TT and now a Jay Flight TT. They all are good in some ways and terrible in others. I think whenever you try to build something as light and cheap as possible, you are going to have issues. Add in that this wood box will hit pot holes and curbs at 60mph. I personally would have better factory control, but the RV industry is always a stone's throw from bankruptcy. The only way to get better, is to pay 3 times as much on a super premium brand.

After several years with trailers, there are a few standard tools you need. That square head screwdriver is one of them. I haven't gone a year camping where I didn't need to fix something. Especially loose screws, leaking plumbing fittings and loose electrical connections.

2018 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2012 F150 Super Crew - 3.5L EcoBoost
14K Equal-i-zer Hitch
Davejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
If it's a standard 14" vent then look at Heng's Vortex upgrades. This is a conversion kit that will allow you to install a 12V fan in the existing vent. You will need to find some place close by to tap into the 12v system. Often times there are lights close by that you can tap into. I installed a Vortex I in the bathroom vent and a Vortex II in the main vent of our 195RB this spring and both work quite well.

Vortex Powered Vent Fan Upgrade
I installed a Vortex II in ours, works great.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco door, jayco hummingbird, jayco molding, jayco quality