Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Jayco Jay Flight floor construction

I'm shopping for a travel trailer, probably a used one. The Jay Flight 28FKS and the Jay Flight 25RKS interest me. My question is to the construction of these particularly the floor. Call me crazy, but I want a conventional "Stick and Tin" trailer as I know I can repair this style myself if anything short of a wreck happens to it. No doubt the new composites have advantages, but they don't seem as repairable at least in the home shop. I was wondering if anyone knows if the floor on these models is Plywood, Oriented strand board, or the lauan foam composite? If they switched from wood to composite, in what year did they switch? Any info to help me decide is appreciated. I found a 2006 28FKS at a dealer here in CT, but it had a smell inside that scared me away. It did seem to be a nice layout and appeared to be a good quality trailer.

Thanks!

Potential Jayco Owner
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Tongue and groove 5/8 plywood is used for floor construction. Heat shielding is put down before the floor is put in.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks John! Do they use plywood still on the new units? I Love Plywood. There is no excuse for using OSB in a RV.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. One of the reasons I went with the Jayflight was the 5/8 plywood floor, with wood joists 16" on center. My previous TT had a leak by the door with a OSB floor that literally melted when wet, you could scoop it up with your hands.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

I had to replace the rear third of the floor on my Sunline, but with a few sheets of plywood, some studs and a ton of hours I did bring it back from the dead. There should be a law against OSB! I would still take a OSB trailer over a composite one.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Straight form Jayco` current website:
FLOOR CONSTRUCTION
5/8" tongue-and-groove plywood deck on 2" x 3" wooden floor joists: Moisture resistant, plywood holds up to the elements
Fiberglass insulation (R-7): Maintains interior temperatures
Full-width outriggers: Supports wall weight with no more than 4-foot spacing (vs. 8-foot spacing) and wall-to-wall, full-width design

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...t/construction
Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

Thanks Crabman! That makes for a definitive answer. Jayco does appear to be a very well designed trailer, Now I just need to find a nice clean one.

I notice in your signature line you have "Reese Strailt Line with Dual Cam". Do you find the dual cam anti sway works significantly better than a standard weight distribution hitch?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Thanks Crabman! That makes for a definitive answer. Jayco does appear to be a very well designed trailer, Now I just need to find a nice clean one.

I notice in your signature line you have "Reese Strailt Line with Dual Cam". Do you find the dual cam anti sway works significantly better than a standard weight distribution hitch?

Its the only system I have owned so cannot compare, But in 5 years I have never encountered trailer sway.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

The floor covering is also wrapped around the outside edges of the plywood

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #10

I spent most of yesterday on the phone and I'm 99% sure were going to pull the trigger on a brand new 25RKS. As long as there is no dealer bait and switch nonsense I'll probably sign today or Monday. I probably would have bought a used sunnybrook edgewater, but the dealer was too busy to do some work I wanted done to it. I think the Jayco is a superior product. Nice that the sunnybrook dealer was unresponsive giving me the time to reconsider. Fingers crossed this deal is on the up and up, but the price I got almost seems too good.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
I spent most of yesterday on the phone and I'm 99% sure were going to pull the trigger on a brand new 25RKS. As long as there is no dealer bait and switch nonsense I'll probably sign today or Monday. I probably would have bought a used sunnybrook edgewater, but the dealer was too busy to do some work I wanted done to it. I think the Jayco is a superior product. Nice that the sunnybrook dealer was unresponsive giving me the time to reconsider. Fingers crossed this deal is on the up and up, but the price I got almost seems too good.
Let us all know how it goes. I have certainly been pleased with my JayFlight and will definately look at Jayco again when the time comes to upgrade to a fiver.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #12

Done deal! I just signed the paperwork. I'm getting a brand new Jay Flight 25RKS! I got a great price and the dealer was so pleasant to work with! This dealer is in Connecticut so if there are any warranty issues it's close to where I live for easy service. Not sure if it's OK to mention their name or not? It's being ordered from the factory so it should be in in about 6 weeks. We are psyched!

We chose a tag because with the cap on my truck I can bring so much cargo easily. For a 5th, I'd have to take off the cap every time I want to take it out. Tag just seems easier for me, but next time you never know.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Congrats on closing the deal! Pics please, when practical.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #14

Congratulations on the new trailer!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #15

How can I find the vertical stud spacing in the short walls on my bedroom slide out. I want to install a window in each one.
Also the vert. stud spacing on the outside walls. I need an access door to be able to get to my low point drain valves.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
How can I find the vertical stud spacing in the short walls on my bedroom slide out. I want to install a window in each one.
Also the vert. stud spacing on the outside walls. I need an access door to be able to get to my low point drain valves.
Send me a PM with model and last 8 of your VIN.. I can see if I can pull the spec sheets.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #17

Jayco J-LIE [OSB FLOORS]

Hello just wanted to inform all the possible purchasers of a Jayco Jay flight SLX that their floors are not made of 5/8 tongue and groove plywood as they state but they are made of OSB plywood as I recently found out the hard way after buying a 2018 Jay flight SLX 195rb.. I replaced the water pump and in doing so notice that the prime hose had been leaking water for quite some time not soon after I noticed the soft spot in the kitchen area that got bigger and bigger and bigger eventually I had to the cut vinyl and to my surprise found that the flooring is made out of OSB pure garbage particle flakeboard crap.. I called Jayco and they insisted that their floors are made out of 5/8 tongue and groove plywood.. I'm the second owner of this RV and I can tell you 100% that this is the original flooring and it is 100% OSB garbage I don't know who is responsible for these lies and why they're doing this obviously it's to gain customers and save money at the same time but I have pictures and I will be showing them to everybody I can don't believe the hype if anybody would like to call and ask me my phone number is 727-565-7351
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20221003_004540.jpg   IMG_20221003_004607.jpg  
Jay flight 195rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #18

That's a crock of **** I had a soft spot in my 2018 Jayco Jay flight SLX 195rb that got bigger and bigger and bigger I cut the vinyl to see what the floor was doing and it was Chinese OSB particle flakeboard garbage and this is the original flooring I called Jayco and they swear that they're flooring is all made out of 5/8 tongue and groove plywood then when I called him on it she said oh yeah well the ceiling is made out of 5/8 tongue and groove and the floor is made out of OSB they're liars plain and simple don't trust them I'd never buy a Jayco trailer again
Jay flight 195rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #19

Sue them and sue for legal fees as well.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #20

The Jay Flight SLX 7 series trailers do not use 5/8 tongue and grove plywood. The SLX 8 series trailers use the 5/8 tongue and grove flooring. I hope you managed to get it fixed.
Jayco198RD is offline   Reply With Quote