Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Generally the only wire that connects to the negative terminal would be the heavy black wire. All the others go to the positive. RV manufactures don't seem to conform to any type of standard wiring codes.
In the 12v world of automotive, red is power black is ground. Problem is you have 120v in the mix in a trailer, too. I really confused my friend when i helped install a car stereo and amps (master electrician in all New England states, btw). He couldn’t figure out why I connected black to ground, and there was no white...
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #22

This cable lock works pretty good. It is infinitely adjustable so you can snug it up tight around your battery box.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-C...4-135149aa9081

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

I always removed mine. Not only so it didn't grow legs, but so I could keep it on a charge maintainer in the garage.

Only problem I ever had doing this was if I decided to go pick up the rig from storage on the way home from work. If that decision was made after I left the house, I didn't have the battery with me.

Luckily storage isn't THAT far from home, so I towed it home without the battery once or twice...
Just after that “event” I bought a battery box and set it just inside the door and put the battery in it (the box would keep any acid or debris from the floor. Was convenient having the batt “there” but not on the tongue. Did that for 6mos or so then started bringing it home where I could put it on the charger.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #24

Stolen Battery

We had the same thing happen a couple years back. Seems the local scrap yard was giving $12 per battery and some meth head needed money. He hit a whole area loaded with TT. Not to bright he even went to the local police dept. which had a row of them parked out back on camera and stole them. He and his girlfriend were caught in the middle of the day by a retired gentleman as they tried to steal his. Any way my point is call your dealer and ask for a wiring diagram as some are wired different. Mine has like 5 wires going to the battery and only two went to the positive side. They should be more than willing to help you out. What really sucks is all they had to do was remove the wing nuts, it's just as quick. I actually mounted a thin, maybe 6' wide toolbox on my tongue to lock the batteries and my receiver and sway bars when not in use.

P.S. Not holding my breath on the restitution money the court said we would all get.
commanderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
If the 2nd red wire goes to you tongue jack, it is easy to trace. Either way, both red wires should be +, black negative.
Unfortunately, that doesn't hold true in all rigs and wiring. ALL cables that go to my batteries in my rig on both sides are black. I wrapped red electrical tape on the cables that go to positive posts, in case I ever have to remove them.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #26

Why is the negative wire on my 29 RKS white?Same thing on my previous TT(Wildwood).Is this just a Canadian thing?
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentbarrie View Post
I thought it did? I don't wanna, get shocked lol
You are correct, from a safety perspective it does make a difference.

If you accidentally touch any metal surface on the trailer while hooking up the + with the - not yet connected, then absolutely nothing happens as the battery circuit is not complete. If you touch with the - attached already, then you complete the circuit and short the battery. Note that the reverse is NOT true, hitting metal while hooking up the - with the + installed does nothing, you are simply shorting ground to ground.

Also note that when making the final + connection with - already in place that you will generally get arcing as the circuit is energized. Although not overly dangerous, it can be startling. You do not generally get arcing when the final connection is the - terminal.

In neither case are YOU likely to get a shock, but it is safer for your battery and your systems to make the negative connection last.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Why is the negative wire on my 29 RKS white?Same thing on my previous TT(Wildwood).Is this just a Canadian thing?
No, the negative on ours is white as well.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote