Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #41

The air bags help, and so do lt tires, but the payload capacity doesn't change. I upgraded my 1500 to a HD RAM. Picked up a new, loaded Larie 3500 RAM for less money than I paid for my 1/2 ton.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #42

looking at same trailer

We are looking at the same trailer was first going for the 27BHS but we liked how the bunk beds more in the center when the slid is out. Plus there is more room to access the beds which should be better for an occasional adult to use. What's a good price for this model? they have them at about 15% off MSRP. I've heard people on this form say 30% is good so that's what I'm offering if they accept then I guess I have to buy it
saTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCrew View Post
Because of advice on this forum, I am going to start looking for a truck. Which one do you recommend? I would like it to be the right truck and not overkill, and I would like for it to fit into a standard garage.
First of all, congrats on the new unit, hope you enjoy it for years.

I have a 29BHDS, similar to the 28BHBE but a little heavier due to a kitchen slide and 1 additional foot. I had (purchased before the trailer) a Ford F150 SCREW Maxtow, I was where you are, right up against (or a little over) my payload limits which I believe was a little over 1800LBS. I too had the anti sway alarm come on on the F150 once, really got my attention. I had no idea about the payload issue at all when I bought the trailer. You can search here and find some cat scale results I posted, I was over the rear axle weight when dry. Wet, my tongue exceeds 1200LBS easily.

I ended up going with a 250X series truck, stuck with the Gas engine as I was using it as a daily driver for a 5 mile trip which isn't great on diesels and the diesel really ate into the payload on a 3/4 ton, and gas is artificially cheap here due to Ethanol subsidies. Had I gone diesel I likely would have gone with a SRW 1 ton as the registration here in Iowa is really not different, you do have to get annual inspections on a 1 ton however vs a 3/4 (or regular auto) you don't. My payload now on a 3/4 ton gasser is a hair under 3000lbs.

As to your comment on the garage, since I wanted the full back seat, the Ram was the ONLY 3/4 ton that would fit length wise, it was the shortest of the 3 in 2015 and it barely fits. That was 100% my brand decision, wasnt about to leave a 40K+ vehicle out to be hailed on in Iowa. I probably would have stuck with Ford otherwise. You will need a standard 7' door but the ram is probably also the tallest of all 3, and it does fit. Make sure you get your measuring tape out, decide if you need those electric folding mirrors (I fold mine to give more room next to the DW's Minivian) and then look into the specs on the 3, you can pretty easily find the lengths.

If you can find a properly equipped 1/2 ton with good payload, max tow, and in a perfect world an HD Payload package that you just wont have to fuss with every time you go camping and will be OK for the long haul considering growing family etc, it will be a better daily driver for sure. I do miss my F150 while bouncing down bad roads empty with 80PSI in the rear tires (except when I am pulling the trailer, then I don't miss it so much). I do have to give props to the ecoboost, that twin turbo V6 just didn't care what was behind it. My V8 Gasser, I have towed it thru the mountains in the east, it never got to a point where it wouldn't go as fast as I wanted but there were times it was at pretty high RPM to do it. Ecoboost just didn't care. I am sure the Diesel would be similar when towing to the ecoboost due to the turbo.

The biggest difference I have noticed is that the trailer just doesn't seem to move the truck around nearly as much. Wheelbase is a little longer but not much. The truck also weighs almost as much as the trailer, which was not true of my old one. I think that is the biggest factor that makes the most difference.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I apologize, You are correct. I see that. My loaded trailer weight is 7818 on the scale and I have my tongue weight at 850 pounds. the way we load it.
Yes, I agree we have that 12 Expedition maxed out. I just wish Ford would have kept making the Excursion.
All good!!! Though I can't wait for the next vacation!!! Lol

It's good that you know where you are weight wise, and pack accordingly because of it. Even GM isn't the smartest for bringing the HD Suburbans back for fleet only (last I knew). May not sell a lot of them (Excursions also), but definitely is a needed tv!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #45

TX,

As J mentioned above, if you want to stay with a Ford, and a 150, the best scenario is finding one with the max tow AND the HD Payload package. Should be over 3000lbs of payload from what I understand. Just make sure when you don go shopping, to open the drivers door of every potential truck and find what the ratted payload is for that truck.

Myself, I would probably just go for a gas powered 2500/250 or 3500/350. The only other 1500/150 option may be a Max Tow model from GM, it it doesn't have as much payload as the F150 last I knew. Though Fords gvwr is barely a little more than the front and rear axle ratings added together (last I knew). Unless it has changed, GMs gvwr is actually under rated compared to the total of the front and rear axle ratings.

From what I have read, a F150 with the max tow/ hd paylod packages usually costs more than a comparably equipped 250 gas truck. Don't recall if it has been posted here before, but a member on a snowmobile forum I'm on had posted he found that was the case when he was shopping, think it was last season if I recall. So make sure you compare all your options while measuring for the garage!!!

Good luck truck shopping and enjoy the new rig!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #46

As an update, we bought a Sherline tongue weight scale. Fully loaded (with a little extra), the tongue weight is 810 lbs (the listed max for our Expedition is 920 lbs.). This weekend, we intend to weigh the Expedition, trailer, and then both at a CAT scale.
2017 Jayco Jayflight BHBE
Initial Trip March 2016
TXCrew is offline   Reply With Quote