Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

Jayco Jayflight BHBE

We have only owned our SLX 264BHW for a year, but we decided that we want a little more room. So, we are purchasing a 2017 BHBE today. We are very excited about the slide out and enclosed shower. We will pick it up tomorrow and head out immediately to the campground. The 264BHW served us well at Yellowstone last year, and the BHBE should do well at the Grand Canyon this year. We looked at fifth wheels and toy haulers (we do not have toys, but the bunks and openess were appealing).

We are in Texas and we bought the glacier package with hopes that the under cover will reduce the chance of any bugs getting in and control the temp better. Does that make sense, or did we waste money on it?
2017 Jayco Jayflight BHBE
Initial Trip March 2016
TXCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

Good luck with the BHBE; I think you will enjoy it and find it very comfortable for your family. We enjoy ours, and although it is mostly my wife and I travelling in it, we have had 5 adults in it with no problem. When only the two of us, we use the bunks as storage, so that room is not wasted. We went to RV shows and a dealership this year with the intention of finding something that was shorter and worked for just the two of us, but realized we would be losing a lot and decided to stay with our BHBE for a while longer. Enjoy!!
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new trailer.

I bought the glacier package for the same reasons you did.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Congratulations! May I ask what vehicle you are using to pull the? I have a friend looking at the 264 coincidentally enough!
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Congrats on the BHBE, a great floor plan!!!

I am also wondering what you tv is? Hopefully not the Explorer that is listed in your signature. Know that this model, depending on how you pack, is at the upper end for 1500/150 trucks (when packed on the litter end) or if you pack heavier is more suited for a 2500/250+ tv.

Hope all goes well with the purchase!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCrew View Post

We are in Texas and we bought the glacier package with hopes that the under cover will reduce the chance of any bugs getting in and control the temp better. Does that make sense, or did we waste money on it?
Glacier/Thermal package is worth the extra $$ IMO. I'm not sure about keeping bugs out, but it will help the temp in both cold and hot situations.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #7

We don't have the thermal package, and it works great. We have camped when the temps drop into the 30's at night without problems. The furnace works as it should.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

We will pulling it with our Expedition King Ranch w/ HD Towing.
Initial Trip March 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Congrats on the BHBE, a great floor plan!!!

I am also wondering what you tv is? Hopefully not the Explorer that is listed in your signature. Know that this model, depending on how you pack, is at the upper end for 1500/150 trucks (when packed on the litter end) or if you pack heavier is more suited for a 2500/250+ tv.

Hope all goes well with the purchase!!!
It is an Expedition. The weight issue caused me to hesitate buying. However, after looking at the Ford website, talking to our Ford dealer (post-purchase, so he has no incentive to lie), and three different people at the dealership, I feel good about it. I realize that there are differing opinions on the board; but, with the HD towing package that comes with the King Ranch, the listed towing capacity is 9,200 lbs, which is a ton over the dry trailer weight.
Initial Trip March 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
It is an Expedition. The weight issue caused me to hesitate buying. However, after looking at the Ford website, talking to our Ford dealer (post-purchase, so he has no incentive to lie), and three different people at the dealership, I feel good about it. I realize that there are differing opinions on the board; but, with the HD towing package that comes with the King Ranch, the listed towing capacity is 9,200 lbs, which is a ton over the dry trailer weight.
You will have to be careful how you load the trailer. Most of the storage in that trailer is under the queen bed and front exterior compartments. Before adding a second battery and more stuff under the bed, I came off the scales around your towing capacity. Keep in mind full tank of water alone is around 700 + lbs. You dont have to fill them, I just always prefer to leave on a trip with full water.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
You will have to be careful how you load the trailer. Most of the storage in that trailer is under the queen bed and front exterior compartments. Before adding a second battery and more stuff under the bed, I came off the scales around your towing capacity. Keep in mind full tank of water alone is around 700 + lbs. You dont have to fill them, I just always prefer to leave on a trip with full water.
Good point. We never carry any water (which makes our 80 gallon upgrade useless), and we not have a generator. We do not carry much stuff, probably because we have not been camping long enough to know that we want more. I would be surprised if we carried over 500 lbs, because we carry everything in box that the kids can carry, and we only have 12-15 boxes estimated to weigh 30 lbs or less.
Please know that I am not dismissing your post. I will take time to weigh. I was just sharing more information.
Initial Trip March 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

What is the payload capacity of your Expedition? It will be on a sticker on the drivers door where it lists the recommended tire pressure. That is the only number you need to worry about. Not the 9200lb tow rating.

I also don't think the majority of dealerships are knowledgeable on this fact.

Keep in mind all the passengers in the vehicle (family of five) all eat into the available payload as well.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
What is the payload capacity of your Expedition? It will be on a sticker on the drivers door where it lists the recommended tire pressure. That is the only number you need to worry about. Not the 9200lb tow rating.

I also don't think the majority of dealerships are knowledgeable on this fact.

Keep in mind all the passengers in the vehicle (family of five) all eat into the available payload as well.

Cheers
Are you talking about the listed GVWR? It was my understanding that GVWR is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.
Initial Trip March 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #14

Nope there will be a sticker that states....
"The weight of all cargo and occupants should not exceed....lbs"

It is on all vehicles and usually on the same sticker that states your recommended tire pressures.

It is essentially your GVWR minus your curb weight as your vehicle left the factory. Whatever is left over is your real payload capacity. Short of you weighing your vehicle it is the best number to go by to determine what you can safely tow. In my experience the sticker is usually optimistic by 100lbs or so as anything else added to the vehicle takes away from payload. For a pickup this is usually undercoating, tonneau cover, floor mats, jumper cables, tools........ and on and on...

Your GVWR is the important number here. If you exceed your payload you are exceeding your GVWR.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Nope there will be a sticker that states....
"The weight of all cargo and occupants should not exceed....lbs"

It is on all vehicles and usually on the same sticker that states your recommended tire pressures.

It is essentially your GVWR minus your curb weight as your vehicle left the factory. Whatever is left over is your real payload capacity. Short of you weighing your vehicle it is the best number to go by to determine what you can safely tow. In my experience the sticker is usually optimistic by 100lbs or so as anything else added to the vehicle takes away from payload. For a pickup this is usually undercoating, tonneau cover, floor mats, jumper cables, tools........ and on and on...

Your GVWR is the important number here. If you exceed your payload you are exceeding your GVWR.

Cheers
In the tire sticker, it states that occupants and cargo should not exceed 1364 lbs. If "cargo" includes a trailer and that is the total weight that I can pull, then I could not pull a tent on wheels. I reviewed the sticker, and it just states the GVWR (7260 lbs), Front GAWR (3300 lbs), and Rear GAWR (4300 lbs). I discussed with all mentioned above, and they explained that this goes to the tongue weight issue but not the towing capacity. Based on everything that I have read other than your posts, the advice given to me appears to be accurate. What am I missing?
Initial Trip March 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #16

You will have to let us know the specific numbers for your vehicle but lets assume your GVWR is 7500lbs and your curb weight is 5900lbs.

7500-5900=1600lbs payload capacity.

So if you load any more than 1600lbs into your vehicle you will exceed your GVWR. This includes all passengers, weight distribution hitch, bags, groceries, camping supplies, and trailer tongue weight.

Now the 28BHBE has a dry weight of 6510lbs. As delivered with a few options this will increase slightly. I will guess 6800lbs delivered with propane and battery installed. You are going to load 500lbs of stuff as per your estimate. Most people load closer to 1000lbs but we'll stick with 500 for now.

Your trailer now weighs in at 7300lbs ready to go camping. Your trailer will ideally have around 13-15% of its weight as tongue weight. This will be 950lbs up to 1100lbs.

So we take your Expeditions 1600lbs of payload capacity and subtract 950lbs for tongue weight, 70lbs for a good WDH, and 500lbs for your passengers and we have 80lbs of payload capacity left.

You can probably tell us if any of those estimates are close. I am guessing that a family of 5 and two dogs probably weighs more than 500lbs and you will also likely pack more than 500lbs worth of stuff in your trailer.

With conservative numbers you are right at the limit. Where you are comfortable towing is up to you to decide.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #17

Saw we were typing at the same time.

1364lbs of payload is pretty low for a half ton vehicle. But it is typical of a fully optioned out vehicle (King Ranch)

Starting with 1364lbs of payload and subtract the tongue weight, hitch weight, passengers you will likely be a fair ways over your payload limit and your GVWR. As I said before dealers and salesmen do not understand this well. They always just quote brochure numbers and they don't work in the real world.

1364-950-70-500=-156lbs

Using my estimates you will be 156 lbs over your GVWR. Again this is up to you to decide if you are comfortable towing over your limits. Many people do and are fine with it. I am not going to advise you either way. Just running the numbers.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #18

I have a 2016 28BHBE with Elite and Arctic packages. Like you My wife and I have 3 kids, 14, 13 and 11.

I deliberately am very careful how and where I load stuff in the trailer. (Being a Commercial Pilot, I am very well versed in weight and balance)
With 10 gallons of water in the water tank. (The 80 gallons comes in very handy and useful in Pennsylvania State Parks as they provide Electric but not water and I fill up at a spigot after arriving at the state park) having the trailer as we usually do for camping trips I am 225 pounds under my GCWR.
My trailer empty is 6819 and loaded is between 7720 and 7819 pounds.
The yellow sticker in the door of my Expedition says: Should not exceed 7720 or Useful Load of 1492
How do I know this, I made several trips to the CAT Scale knowing I was pushing the limits of my Expedition . I always start out easy to avoid putting a lot of stress on the transmission. Most of out trips are between 1 and 6 hours from home.
I have not had any issues pulling the 28BHBE, but I do take it easy starting out.
Hope this helps.

Too bad Ford quit making the Excursion.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

Congrats on the camper. We are really happy with our 28BHBE. We also had a 264BH previously. It was also a great camper but we wanted a little more room.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
TX,

Did I misread your signature or did it originally state an Explorer??? Still haven't caught up from a lack of sleep a few days ago so maybe that's it.... Lol

Anyway, Subaru has nailed almost everything that you should be more concerned about regarding the payload of the Expy vs the "tow rating". The one item missed is the Ford factory receiver hitch rating. It has a max tw rating of 920lbs when using a wdh. It is found here in the Ford Expy Towing Guide at the bottom of page 1.

As Subaru mentioned, it is very unfortunate that most of the sales people at both the car dealers and the trailer dealers just don't understand everything involved regarding towing and usually look up the tow rating of a vehicle, and its a yea or nay. A lot of us have learned after the fact as well. "Oh, the trailer is under the tow rating, so we are good!!!" Once we have learned all the other factors it is definitely an eye opener....

Will something instantly break if you're 10lbs or 100lbs over, probably unlikely. But the unknown question is just how much is the vehicle and components under rated.

Packing wise it sounds like you are still on the lighter side of things. Definitely seems to grow over time of ownership and as kids get older! Lol Don't hesitate to remove unused items at the end of every season. Didn't use it all camping season, must not need to carry it for every trip.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote