Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Thumbs down Jayco Jayflight Warranty

I bought my 2012 Jayco Jayflight 19RD in December 2011. First trip out this summer, second day of using the A/C it quit. Finally got the news. Jayco is a nice TT but If you are counting on that 2 year warranty it is basically worthless.

Compressor on the A/C went out. It took the circuit board and the thermostat. Jayco's responce, basically buyer beware. Not covered under warranty.

I have to give the local RV dealer a lot of credit, he really tried to get them to cover the unit.

I guess Jayco doesn't need customers that bad. I can remember several years ago another RV manufacturer started taking that attitude and direction and they are no longer in business. That was Alpenlite.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #2

My interpretation of their warranty does not exclude the air conditioner.

If it were me I would get some legal help and force them to honor the warranty.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

That would fall under the a/c manufacturer's warranty. A friend of ours had a brand new unit. Their a/c went out and the manufacturer replaced it. You should be able to work through the original dealer you bought it from and the dealer will handle the leg work for you. But if not, go straight to manufacturer.
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

The a/c unit is covered under the company that made the unit. The same thing applies to the stove, refrigerator, furnace, oven, etc.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #5

The Jayco warranty does not cover any material, component or part of the RV that is warranted by another entity, including, any air conditioner.

Try and locate the air conditioner materials included with your warranty packet. These will list the steps to take to resolve the issue.

It's a little surprising the repair facility didn't reach out to manufacturer.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

One would think that Jayco and/or the dealer would have pointed him in that direction. But, as posted it appears that Jayco simply refused to do or say anything other than "that's tough".

There may well be a Paul Harvey version of this.....The rest of the story.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

alright let me ask this.....if it is covered by the manufacturer, do you need to register it with the manufacturer when you purchase the TT? Or is it automatically covered by the manufacturer? I am a little surprised that your dealer did not realize that it was the AC units manufacturer that warranted it and not Jayco!
krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #8

We just had our A/C unit in our 2011 x213 replaced under the manufacturer's warranty when it failed the forst time we tried to use it. It was a Coleman unit. We were 350 miles away from home, pulled the TT to the nearest Jayco dealer, they called Coleman and replaced it, no questions asked. Your dealer should have doen the same.
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post
snip.....Compressor on the A/C went out. It took the circuit board and the thermostat. Jayco's responce, basically buyer beware. Not covered under warranty.....snip
Wyotravler,

As mentioned, the A/C unit isn't covered under the Jayco warranty (same as most other RV manufactures).., but are you saying that the A/C manufacturer's warranty won't cover the repair as well?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #10

Jayco advertises a 2 year warranty, our dealer stressed it and then after the purchase when I get it home and go to reading the papers I found out all appliances, A/C, heater, etc are covered by their own manufacturer warranties and many of these are ONE YEAR. I'll be putting a Good Sam extended warranty on my unit at the end of the first season and remember the cost of it if I ever buy another Jayco - dealer will have to come off enough extra to pay for me to pay one year on the extended warranty. Jayco's 2 year warranty claim is not true and their claim of the longest warranty in the business is totally false under these conditions!! I would advise legal advise to see if their 2 year claim with the fine print putting you under one year manufacturer of all the major appliances is legal in your state.
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charolaisbreeder View Post
Jayco's 2 year warranty claim is not true and their claim of the longest warranty in the business is totally false under these conditions!! I would advise legal advise to see if their 2 year claim with the fine print putting you under one year manufacturer of all the major appliances is legal in your state.

Although not an a/c our brakes (Atwood) received their final "fix" via the manufacturer (paid for us to go to a local brake shop) during the second year we owned the tt (dealer was not successful in resolving the brake issue). Our toilet had a leak and the part was shipped to us a few weeks prior to our 2yr warranty ending. Jayco helped direct us to the manufacturer's contact person for each issue. We did not fill out the warranty cards when we brought our Jayco home; our vin # info was already in their data base. Our limited dealings with a manufacturer through Jayo's guidance has been positive so far. I guess there are still some success stories out there...
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #12

Here is the problem. If I spent $800 in fuel and a couple nights of lodging driving almost 500 miles to the nearest Jayco official dealer they MAY have covered it under warranty. I would have to make two trips. One to drop off, and one to pick it up. I told the RV dealer to just fix it I'll pay. Instead he did everything he could to explain the facts to Coleman and Jayco about the distance and they just said too bad. We won't change out policy for anyone. Once the local RV dealer told them OK just send the parts because your Jayco owner said he isn't going to drive that far they were upset. THEY WANT THE BAD PARTS!! Too bad Jayco and Coleman. Coleman said they were going to delay shipment because I refused to drive to a Jayco dealer. Local dealer said don't worry they will send them but they are just upset you refused to humble yourself to them and they aren't going to get the bad parts. I do still like my Jayco TT but now I understand that the Coleman A/C is the weakest link in their TT line. All the parts come from China. My extended warranty kicks in in another 6 months but if I have more problems with the A/C I'm going to change it out for another brand of A/C.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #13

healthi,

How long ago was your situation? Just wondering if there have been changes in the Jayco warranty as I was shocked and very, very disappointed in Jayco when we picked up our unit in March of this year and I read the warranty and started finding all the items that were not covered by Jayco and were only covered by the manufacturer for one year. With the poor economy I don't trust our dealer or Jayco to take money out of their financial situations to fix something they have a "legal out" to say "not my problem" - read your warranty. Jayco would be much more honest based on my papers to say a 2 year warranty on the box and frame. In fact the dealer was trying to sell us an extended warranty when we picked up the unit - I found out why when I got to reading the package of papers!
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #14

Have you talked directly to Jayco? Something just not seem right. I am pretty darn sure that Coleman has a 2 yr warranty on the ac. From my experience with hearing from other members, Jayco should help you in dealing with this situation. I am wondering if this is more of a dealer problem than a Jayco problem.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

I purchased a "extended warranty" from the dealer. It covered all "mechanical failures" such as the awning, fridge, ac, slides etc. It covers it for an additional 5 years.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #16

hummm..... check out 40 seconds in to this Jayco interview...

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #17

Unless I am hearing things, I swear I heard the "product manager" say they have a 2 year bumper to bumper warrenty that includes appliances. Interesting
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #18

Were you talking to Jayco or the selling dealer? That sounds more like what a dealer would say rather than Jayco..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #19

I purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase. It covers any mechanical failure for an additional 5 years. This should include according to the dealer the fridge, a/c, slides, awning, etc. Hope I don't need it, but hope it covers if I do! I just pulled it and it includes a bunch of things I did not list. The water heater, water system LP gas system, heating system, electrical system, audio system,converter/battery charger, trailer suspension system,ventalation and exhaust fans, seals and gaskets associated with any thing I have mentioned, audio/visual package including my dealer installed tv. Like I said, hope I don't need it, but if I do!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

There appears to be many factual assumptions not in evidence. For example, it was stated that the Jayco warranty does not cover any material, component or part of the RV that is warranted by another entity, including, any air conditioner and that Jayco and/or Coleman should have done X or Y. The OP should read the sales contract with Jayco via the dealer, which governs the sales transaction. It would be helpful if the OP posted the pertinent or relevant language from the sales contract as it pertains to warranty coverage and dealer responsibility.

For instance, was the selling dealer ever contacted? As I read the OP’s comments, there is no mention that the selling dealer was contacted. This might be relevant based upon the contract where the language might provide that the warranty work is to be performed by the selling dealer. I assume that the selling dealer was not contacted because the OP was of some distance from the dealer. Nevertheless, if the contract specifies that warranty work is to be performed by the selling dealer, then this course of action should have been initially pursued. (It also may explain why Jayco felt that its hands were tied). Also worth noting is that Jayco or Coleman presumably would approve the A/C repair work if the trailer was taken to a Jayco dealer. The OP, however, refused.

Focusing on Coleman, the A/C manufacturer, it does not appear from the OP’s comments that Coleman refused to honor the warranty. The OP states, “Once the local RV dealer told them OK just send the parts because your Jayco owner said he isn't going to drive that far they were upset. THEY WANT THE BAD PARTS!!” It is somewhat unclear, but this implies that Coleman wanted to see the bad parts (ie, the compressor, the circuit board, and the thermostat) before it was going to honor the warranty. Even though this was a new A/C on a new trailer, it is entirely possible that the OP was responsible for the damage to his unit, and examination of the parts might shed some light on this issue. For example, when the AC unit was being used, what was the condition of the electrical system at the site of operation? Was it at a location that had sub-par wiring? or wiring that hasn’t been upgraded since the 1960’s? Assuming that the electrical system was acceptable, was there a large demand placed upon the electrical grid (from many others operating their A/Cs at the same time) such that the AC voltage dropped below say 110 AC volts? If so, this might explain why the compressor failed on the new unit. (note: there are electrical management systems that monitor the AC voltage and kill the power if it drops below a specific value to protect electrical devices in/on the RV).

In any event, I don’t mean to imply that the OP was at fault and that Coleman and/or Jayco are saints. I would need more info to reach any conclusion. However, IMHO, the OP should have contacted the selling dealer for guidance if the contract states as much, should have continued his trip without fixing the A/C if he didn’t want to wait and sent the bad parts to Coleman, or alternatively, visit a Jayco dealer, and in turn, resolve the issue via his selling dealer upon his return home (where the A/C would presumably be covered under warranty).

As much as I feel for the OP that his A/C unit crashed and burned on his first trip, I also think it’s premature to start bashing Jayco and/or Coleman based upon the limited facts.
WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote