Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTryan View Post
We're very upset with the quality of our 2016 JayFlight 27RLS. Too many issues to list and some are just plain poor workmanship. I have been RV'ing all my life and understand repairs are part of the game but our experience has soured us on the brand. Not sure if I feel better reading the posts about it being a general issue across RV brands.

You need to be one of two things to successfully "RV";
1. Independently wealthy
Or
2. Handy and have common sense.

The horror stories of PDIs where little tin Gods force the tech to stay for a 4 hour PDI, and using a 7 page PDI checklist are what contribute to the "I deserve" mentality.

I dare anyone to build a tiny house with dual power systems and dual water systems, and then haul it down the road at 60 mph for less than $30k better than Jayco.

Some people just have too high expectations, and then they feel the need to complain to enthusiasts and hobbiests that enjoy the hobby.

Complain to the dealer or the manufacturer.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
Or is that an oxy-moron?

We have owned our 2015 Jay Flight 26RKS

The interior is made of cheap, flimsy materials all held together (barely) by tiny staples. Poor materials and poor construction.

I realize that this is not a top of the line unit and I don't expect solid hardwood and premium fasteners but I do expect that it won't fall apart while we are driving down the road.

We are looking to upgrade to a larger trailer or 5th wheel and I'm pretty sure that Jayco will not be on the list.
Well I bought the White Hawk line and I have some issues like that but where they put staples I put real nice square head screws other than that the build quality is pretty good. I have not used mine enough to know how well the materials like cushions and stuff will hold up but they seem to be stitched pretty well. I believe the jay flight series is the bottom of the line and like always in life you get what you pay for. I have seen the Eagle TT and wow what a difference but I'm not in that price range so went with the White Hawk and love it so far. I wouldn't knock Jayco unless you can get higher quality trailer somewhere else for the same price as a jay flight. I was looking at another trailer that looked exactly like the WH I bought but it was 7k more and it had SS appliances, leather seating, fancier trim, and electric stabilizer jacks. However I have a family of four with a 80lb lab so I don't need the fancy stuff but needed a well built trailer. Heck my 15 year old son is 6' with a 13 shoe size. He is bumping into everything. But with a stronger built trailer comes with a price and weight. The 25BHS weighs dry 6113lbs...so ended up getting a new truck out of the deal because the wife wanted the WH and not the ultra light models. We both win but equally broke
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #23

The wife and I started with a jayco went to a forest river wildcat {it was junk} up graded to a cedar creak. {it was also junk}We are now back with jayco because of the good quality we had with are jayco. Only time will tell.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #24

We looked at many if not all, at least that we can find, Motorhomes that were listing in the 145 - 160k range. For the money non of them seemed to compare to the Precept that we purchased, We have been camping for a plethora of years, so we are not new and naïve to how coaches are built. Did we have a few issues, Yes, most were minor expect for a leak on the main slide, but Jayco took care of all of our issues, modified the bedroom door from an accordion door to a solid sliding door, paid all our expenses to and from NJ to IN, twice, I dropped our coach off in February and picked it up in May complete and ready to go. Plus, Jayco threw in an oil change and a genny service. Jayco stands behind their product, that speaks volumes for their philosophy, When we started out looking we looked at all brands within our price range, all models that fit our bill, and Jayco came out way on top.

The RV industry without a doubt has it's issues, that includes all the suppliers, the difference is how Jayco handles their customers after the sale. For me, they are outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
To all: Read the RV Travel Newsletter Issue 757 dated 8/27/2016. There is a good explanation on reasons why the RV consumer gets poor quality units up and down the price range. My wife and I visited the Jayco Museum at the factory. We looked at the entire Jayco line up out side the museum and saw the poor quality from top to bottom units. We knew what to look for as we own a Jayco. The above referenced item states that the number one problem is lack of quality workers due to applicants failing the drug test. It stated that Dirco Accessories manufacturing in Elkhart could fill 41 slots if a labor pool was available. This entends to the RV industry also. All RV manufacturers in Middleburg and Elkhart are in the same boat. IMHO, paying more in most cases does not translate to getting more just boosting egos in a lot of cases.

All that being said, we still enjoy hitting the road and taking our chances.

Been there done that!!!!
Hogwash! That is just typical corporate America blaming its short sited, greedy practices on it workers.

Hogwash two, that higher pay would not attract higher skilled workers. Companies/employers that pay well rarely have difficulty finding skilled workers. The company I work for has people with engineering degrees working as operators.

Fact is, the market determines quality or rather how much it will pay for quality. That means the buyer. The trailer industry is littered with companies that tried to make a higher quality product, but the demand (or willingness on the consumer's part) to pay for the quality simply is not there. Until the consumer stops buying trailer A and opts to buy higher quality (and often priced) trailer B this will not change.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
You need to be one of two things to successfully "RV";
1. Independently wealthy
Or
2. Handy and have common sense.

The horror stories of PDIs where little tin Gods force the tech to stay for a 4 hour PDI, and using a 7 page PDI checklist are what contribute to the "I deserve" mentality.

I dare anyone to build a tiny house with dual power systems and dual water systems, and then haul it down the road at 60 mph for less than $30k better than Jayco.

Some people just have too high expectations, and then they feel the need to complain to enthusiasts and hobbiests that enjoy the hobby.

Complain to the dealer or the manufacturer.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
Yes, you're right. Multiple roof leaks, dinette completely falling apart and detaching from the floor, shower pan leaking under the floor into the TT, clothes compartment completely falling apart, slide out stopped working, wheel bearings not greased causing brakes to lock up on the freeway, flashing on outside coming off, AC vents not connected, et al... and all within the first 1000 miles, definitely must be "too high expectations".

I too am an RV enthusiast and also very handy from performing repairs on my previous 3 travel trailers. This gives me common sense and enough experience to form and share my opinion on the poor workmanship/quality on my 2016 Jayco.

Congratulations on your smug, uninformed comment...
DTryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #27

Wow.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Yes, you're right. Multiple roof leaks, dinette completely falling apart and detaching from the floor, shower pan leaking under the floor into the TT, clothes compartment completely falling apart, slide out stopped working, wheel bearings not greased causing brakes to lock up on the freeway, flashing on outside coming off, AC vents not connected, et al... and all within the first 1000 miles - SNIP
The federal lemon law applies to RV's and travel trailers. If you have had that many documented problems, you should pursue your rights. Endless venting here won't get you anything... just a friendly FYI. No reply expected or needed.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #29

Well......... with all the negativity I am reluctant to post. That being said, I have owned 3 TTs and we just got the 3rd one, a Jayco. Prior TTs were a small Shadow Cruiser, and later a FR Surveyor. I can't say how the Jayco is yet, having only picked it up August 3 and spent only 1 night in it. As to the quality of the other 2 I'd say I got about what I paid for. I worked on both from time to time but I'm handy and find it much easier to fix something than to take it back to the dealer and trust it to their "techs". What I will say about the current Jayco is that I've been over, under, around, and through it, and it appears to be of higher quality than either of the other 2. Only time will tell about that. As I've said before... It must have been built on a Wednesday... Then again, in a year I may be cursing the day I picked it up.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
The federal lemon law applies to RV's and travel trailers. If you have had that many documented problems, you should pursue your rights. Endless venting here won't get you anything... just a friendly FYI. No reply expected or needed.
I joined the group to see if I was the only one having these issues - have had the RV in the shop longer than we've been able to enjoy in since our purchase in Nov of 2015. I appreciate the advice on the Federal Lemon Law. Will look into it...
DTryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #31

DTryan, thanks for your response (Congratulations on your smug, uninformed comment...) to some of the negative comments some people feel they need to make when anyone posts about a problem(s) they are having with their Jayco rv's.

I'm not sure why having the expectation that my trailer will not fall apart inside while it is being used for the purpose for which it was intended is considered unreasonable but I guess to some, it is. I just finished rebuilding the tv cabinet and am about to start work on the over bed cubby (it's also falling down).

Your problems are more extensive than mine and I wish you the best in getting them resolved.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #32
Site Team

Before this thread goes further south I think its time to review the forum rules;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/mi...ork&page=rules

Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again.Welcome newcomers to our growing community. Many of our community's members have a wealth of knowledge and much to share. Please help new members learn about how to find information and resources and how to get involved in the Community. Our underlying philosophy is that the relationships we build here are what sets us apart from other boards - we are more friendly, helpful, insightful, respectful and fun.
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
Harassment, stalking or predatory behavior will not be tolerated.
Do not post the same discussion in more than one forum.
Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.
Posts containing explicit, obscene or vulgar language, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter will be removed.
Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages unless a vendor account has been established and then only as proscribed by the site management.
Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #33

Quote:

Congratulations on your smug, uninformed comment...

What part of my post was smug?

Dry humor, maybe... But not smug. I was honestly trying to lighten everyone up. We've all got problems with our mass produced American compromises. No one should feel singled out about having to fix TT problems.

Ease up! We're all here for the fun of RV camping.

I certainly don't need direct slaps like what you gave.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #34

I'm guilty of having a dry sense of humor as well. Combine that with the ambiguity of a forum type environment and inevitably some people are going to take things the wrong way or get upset. I can live with that but my intent in general is to help you solve your problem, not to antagonize or taunt. The key words is "help you"

What I see more and more of is that people think that this forum is Jayco and that somebody on here has the ability to fix the problem for them or that they are doing some sort of community service by repeatadly bashing Jayco here.

Further it then seems as though they have an axe to grind and refuse to take any personal ownership of fixing the issue or even being reasonable about proposed solutions.

It's unfortunate but as you stated many of us treat the ownership experience as a hobby and are prepared for some of these little things that just happen. It makes us more knowledgable and gives us expereince to help those along the way and a sense of pride in our choice.

So if I come off less than warm, when you bash Jayco repeadatley, or obviously have not read the thread, or simply don't wish to listen to good advice from multiple people I guess that's what happens when you insult people... you may not realize that's what your doing but it is...

Youv'e come into a virtual clubhouse composed of Jayco owners, RV'ers, and enthusiasts who for the most part have done their due diligence and share a passion for the brand they chose, and the RV lifestyle. We all realize that your new, you have the glitter still in your eyes and think your the first person to purchase an RV, that all dealers must be scum and that anybody who makes a profit is a bad company... we will listen, and we will try to help but the bashing day after day gets old.

Anyway, this isn't directed at any one person in particular, just my thoughts from this side of the fence where we try to keep the lawn green and let the fun days outweigh the bad.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I am on my 4th Jayflight, and yes, not one has been perfect, but there is not another line of trailers by anyone that gives you the best bang for your buck. As for Jayco, i think they have fallen into the GM syndrome. To many damn models, like GM had. Get rid of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn and concentrate on doing right what you have left. When i bought my 1st Jayco,,back in the late 90's, they had the Eagle series, Eagle lite, Lite Hawk and Qwest, plus i believe .... damn, forget the high end ( it will come to me), all with 1/2 dozen floor plans. Now look what they have. Jayflight alone has umteen floorplans, plus hybrids of different types, even the Hummingbird, which by the way, i will give a 2 year life span. They need to do like the General, go back to the basics, and build 'em right, like they have been known for....quality at an affordable price, the way they began!
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote