Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Jayco quality?

Or is that an oxy-moron?

We have owned our 2015 Jay Flight 26RKS for 2 years now and have put about 6000 miles on it. After the initial pleasure of having a new unit, the interior quality or lack thereof has really been bothering us. Cabinets, trim and associated bits and pieces keep falling off with the latest being the entire tv cabinet breaking loose. Bear in mind that we are not offroading but just driving normal highways and byways.

The interior is made of cheap, flimsy materials all held together (barely) by tiny staples. Poor materials and poor construction.

I realize that this is not a top of the line unit and I don't expect solid hardwood and premium fasteners but I do expect that it won't fall apart while we are driving down the road.

We are looking to upgrade to a larger trailer or 5th wheel and I'm pretty sure that Jayco will not be on the list.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

There certainly is a QC issue in the RV industry, Jayco is not immune. My friends and I joke that RVs are delivered as "some assembly required". It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I have cautioned many about buying an RV if they don't want to tinker and fix the little things like you mention.

That said the problems are exacerbated in Ultralite units. In order to make the weight possible everything is reduced. Thickness of wood, amount of glue, screws, staples, etc.

I'm sorry you aren't happy, but I suggest getting out of RVing all together, buying a 15-20 year unit and refurbishing it to your needs, mainly because the initial build quality was heavier duty back then, or just accept that little fixes will be required.

I don't think consumers can ever expect a high quality light weight house that rolls down the highway at 60mhp priced in $20k-$30k range. It just not going to be available.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

Sorry BC but an entry level made by whomever is just what it is.

If you want MORE quality spend the money and move up the line.

Safe travels

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

Broken seat

The bench in our 2014 jayco swift 26th is falling apart with this being only the second summer of use. The screws holding the bracket on back of the bench came out in transit. Then I noticed the whole back was coming undone from the seat itself ( held only with staples).
Will the 2 year warranty cover this to be fixed, I wonder?
LCumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

BC, agree however, it is not just Jayco. All RV manufacturers, including the top of the line units, have issues. There is no QC any longer and unfortunately there is no one to complain to but each other.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCumby View Post
The bench in our 2014 jayco swift 26th is falling apart with this being only the second summer of use. The screws holding the bracket on back of the bench came out in transit. Then I noticed the whole back was coming undone from the seat itself ( held only with staples).
If it is in warranty, get it identified. You may be running out of a 2 year warranty.i
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Sorry BC but an entry level made by whomever is just what it is.

If you want MORE quality spend the money and move up the line.

Safe travels
I agree. You bought a Jay Feather and they cannot put good HEAVY materials in there due to the fact you wanted or needed a light trailer.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCumby View Post
Same happened to mine. The warranty "fix" was less than adequate. I ended up getting furniture quality hex screws and nuts. Ran the screws through the back and inside frame and tightened it down. It pulled it back together and it's not going anywhere now. Alot more heavy duty than the staples and looks good.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

My mistake - the unit is a Jay Flight not a Jay Feather so it's not a lightweight unit saving ounces by using lightweight materials and it's still falling apart.

I didn't need or want a lightweight trailer when we bought this one (towing with a 2015 F350 6.7) so specifically went with the Jay Flight model expecting it to be a little more robust. Guess not. Kinda disappointed, I guess.

Anyway, this is mostly just fyi for anyone else looking at these units. Caveat emptor.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

I have a Jay Feather that's 6 years old 2nd owner, 6 states and I've loged in 23,000 + miles on it and I gotta tell ya I haven't had anything fall apart on me. I've had to make adjustments here and there but that's all. I can't say enough good things about Jayco or my EXP 21 M .
Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #11

Ok, so we have been warned... sell your trailer and move along.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Oh my o my that scares me to dead (almost); I went of to the store and got myself six 5000 lbs. ratchet straps to throw over the TT and under the chassis. Can you imagining in a hefty head wind...........my secondary home is gone?

I thought in the 70's they built them sloppy..............now they look nicer but built sloppier. Never go RVing without "Bullfrog" Tape, you'll never know when you needed.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #13

A 28 foot Airstream starts at $146,362.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it, I know I would.

Maybe after I hit the powerball.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
Or is that an oxy-moron?

We are looking to upgrade to a larger trailer or 5th wheel and I'm pretty sure that Jayco will not be on the list.
Unfortunately your options will be limited. Thor and Forest River now own 83% of the RV market under the guise of many brand names. And Thor now owns Jayco. Lack of competition will not make things get better anytime soon IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #15

Jayco Quality

To all: Read the RV Travel Newsletter Issue 757 dated 8/27/2016. There is a good explanation on reasons why the RV consumer gets poor quality units up and down the price range. My wife and I visited the Jayco Museum at the factory. We looked at the entire Jayco line up out side the museum and saw the poor quality from top to bottom units. We knew what to look for as we own a Jayco. The above referenced item states that the number one problem is lack of quality workers due to applicants failing the drug test. It stated that Dirco Accessories manufacturing in Elkhart could fill 41 slots if a labor pool was available. This entends to the RV industry also. All RV manufacturers in Middleburg and Elkhart are in the same boat. IMHO, paying more in most cases does not translate to getting more just boosting egos in a lot of cases.

All that being said, we still enjoy hitting the road and taking our chances.

Been there done that!!!!
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
There certainly is a QC issue in the RV industry, Jayco is not immune. My friends and I joke that RVs are delivered as "some assembly required". It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I have cautioned many about buying an RV if they don't want to tinker and fix the little things like you mention.

That said the problems are exacerbated in Ultralite units. In order to make the weight possible everything is reduced. Thickness of wood, amount of glue, screws, staples, etc.

I'm sorry you aren't happy, but I suggest getting out of RVing all together, buying a 15-20 year unit and refurbishing it to your needs, mainly because the initial build quality was heavier duty back then, or just accept that little fixes will be required.

I don't think consumers can ever expect a high quality light weight house that rolls down the highway at 60mhp priced in $20k-$30k range. It just not going to be available.
we cant expect high quality of components but we certainly deserve decent workmanship since i think we pay enough with 30 k mainly for luan and styrofoam !

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
To all: Read the RV Travel Newsletter Issue 757 dated 8/27/2016. There is a good explanation on reasons why the RV consumer gets poor quality units up and down the price range. My wife and I visited the Jayco Museum at the factory. We looked at the entire Jayco line up out side the museum and saw the poor quality from top to bottom units. We knew what to look for as we own a Jayco. The above referenced item states that the number one problem is lack of quality workers due to applicants failing the drug test. It stated that Dirco Accessories manufacturing in Elkhart could fill 41 slots if a labor pool was available. This entends to the RV industry also. All RV manufacturers in Middleburg and Elkhart are in the same boat. IMHO, paying more in most cases does not translate to getting more just boosting egos in a lot of cases.

All that being said, we still enjoy hitting the road and taking our chances.

Been there done that!!!!
That explains poor workmanship, but not cheaper materials (guessing that would be more profit margin).

Overall I'm happy with my 2015 26BHS, I just wish I knew how in depth a PDI should have been being a first time RV'er.
The dealer would be the same as the OP, so maybe that is part of his turn off :dunno:
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
we cant expect high quality of components but we certainly deserve decent workmanship since i think we pay enough with 30 k mainly for luan and styrofoam !
"Deserve"?

No, as long as the crap they produce flies add the lots at record pace, then nope the simple law of supply and demand says you "deserve" what is produced. Not until consumers stop buying and vote with their money, you can expect ZERO change from the industry.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post

Dollar for dollar, Jayco is one of the better brands in the different price categories. You'll find that out when you shop around. They're also one of the very few that offer a 2 year warranty and stand behind it. (in my experience and many others here)
The more you spend, the more you get.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #20

We're very upset with the quality of our 2016 JayFlight 27RLS. Too many issues to list and some are just plain poor workmanship. I have been RV'ing all my life and understand repairs are part of the game but our experience has soured us on the brand. Not sure if I feel better reading the posts about it being a general issue across RV brands.
DTryan is offline   Reply With Quote