Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Jayco Quality

Well after upgradimg my hybird to a jayfeather I drove away fom the dealer and stayed the night in my new shinny RV 2019 model but by morning I have a list of defects. Has anyone experienced this? I had major water leaks on my previous 2015 double murphy bed hybird but this one does not even have slide outs..

Heres my list to see if anyone else has had this.

Hub grease cover missing on 1 rim.
AC leaks inside cabinet and window under it.
Door does not seal.
Door hatch does not close easy / right.
Front window leaks in rain while driving.
Passanger side tail light takes in water.
Wood frame under sink in cabinet has come off.
Some cabinets open while on highway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_110943.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	39950Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180520-WA0002.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	39951Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_105404.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	39952Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_133302.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	39953Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_093052.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	39954
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

We purchased 2017 Jayco fifth wheel last fall, haven't used it yet, minor issues, possibly one major, waiting to hear back from dealer. I had to remove some panels to get at a slideout controller, look like the wiring was done by kindergarten student playing with string. You think a company could invest in wire ties!!
glennhillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhillier View Post
We purchased 2017 Jayco fifth wheel last fall, haven't used it yet, minor issues, possibly one major, waiting to hear back from dealer. I had to remove some panels to get at a slideout controller, look like the wiring was done by kindergarten student playing with string. You think a company could invest in wire ties!!
Well I really thought this one was gonna be a great upgrade since my previlus 2015 with double murphy beds was a true nighmare.

What I have learned is to send an email to jauyo asap, so they register your initial complaint so the world famous warantee doea not pass you by..
Trust me... email them...
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

We are almost three years into ownership of our Eagle.I mean tons of warranty. The secret is getting an RV dealer to do the warranty.I would get going on your warrant immediately!Our experience with Jayco is to run you out of time on the 2 year warranty!Oh yes there always friendly seem interested in your problems!Don't wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Flag 2003 xx.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #5

We are currently 4 days after purchase and no dealer close to me will accept an appointment for Jayco Warantee unless I purchased the unit from them. So Jayco world famous warantee well is really only for your purchase dealer.

Heres a list of items that i have issue with after staying at a KOA the night of purchase..

#2, #3 and #4 are really the serious ones.

1) rim grease hub cover is missing
2) a/c unit leaked all inside the cabinets
3) front door has a gap on top of about 3/4 inch so it does not seal.
4) door does not close unleas you pull the latch open, installed incorrectly
5) front window leaks in while on highway
6) a wood frame piece fell off under the sink area
7) passanger side tail light retains water

Is it worth driving 4hrs for an evaluation which I can not leave the unit there since they dont have space and Jayco takes months to send warantee parts.

What yall think..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We are almost three years into ownership of our Eagle.I mean tons of warranty. The secret is getting an RV dealer to do the warranty.I would get going on your warrant immediately!Our experience with Jayco is to run you out of time on the 2 year warranty!Oh yes there always friendly seem interested in your problems!Don't wait.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Unfortunately issues like these are fairly common from all manufacturers these days. You definitely want to get the water leaks and seal issues taken care of, the sooner the better. It might be helpful to contact Jayco and let them know about your issues and the fact that no local dealers will help. If they are Jayco dealers, Jayco may be able to get them to help you. Be aware though, it may take several months to get it all done.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enri1982 View Post
We are currently 4 days after purchase and no dealer close to me will accept an appointment for Jayco Warantee unless I purchased the unit from them. So Jayco world famous warantee well is really only for your purchase dealer.

Heres a list of items that i have issue with after staying at a KOA the night of purchase..

#2, #3 and #4 are really the serious ones.

1) rim grease hub cover is missing
2) a/c unit leaked all inside the cabinets
3) front door has a gap on top of about 3/4 inch so it does not seal.
4) door does not close unleas you pull the latch open, installed incorrectly
5) front window leaks in while on highway
6) a wood frame piece fell off under the sink area
7) passanger side tail light retains water

Is it worth driving 4hrs for an evaluation which I can not leave the unit there since they dont have space and Jayco takes months to send warantee parts.

What yall think..
Yup. There is a major shortage of RV techs in the field. They are unable to keep up with servicing the booming number of new RV's being sold. It's common that dealers will -1) not work on rigs they didn't sell, or -2) work on them, but put non buying customers at the bottom of a long wait list. Sometimes months out.

Jayco will sometimes approve repairs by independent non Jayco RV shops. I would call Jayco directly and inquire about this. I'm not sure if Jayco pays the shop directly, or if you pay the shop, then get reimbursed.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #8

Jayco Quality

Would you think they would do a leak test before they leave the factory! Obviously not our camper is almost 3 years old. We will never ever ever buy a new camper again! Three year of head aches!
Attached Thumbnails
xxxLP Camping 3-18.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #9

Supposedly they have a ‘rain’ booth, but I thought I read that only every 5th trailer or something gets tested in there.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

My 7 year old Eagle is still nearly perfect. Bolt on main door doesn't work. That's it. We will be selling it in a couple of months, and I doubt if anyone will believe me.

I'd never buy a new one today.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Jayco takes months to send warantee parts.

What yall think..
RV dealers are independent, not franchised.

That's why JAYCO tells you to buy local. Most RV dealers sell multiple brands and have their customers to take care of first.

And it does not take months for JAYCO to send parts that is a dealer's excuse to cover their staff incompetence.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #12

Well no dealer close to me, and the previous trailer I had it did tale a few months, I spoke to jayco myself the part was being made to order / fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

That's why JAYCO tells you to buy local. Most RV dealers sell multiple brands and have their customers to take care of first.

And it does not take months for JAYCO to send parts that is a dealer's excuse to cover their staff incompetence.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
I had it did tale a few months, I spoke to jayco myself the part was being made to order / fit
Oh, now you clarify why the delay.......

Then it had to be a "specialty item". That is not the norm for standard parts.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

Ask Jayco to authorize a mobile tech. Check any local campground and get a reference for who they recommend. Most mobile guys are some of the better techs that got fed up with dealers and went out on their own.

Mobile guys are good because their reputation follows them and is how they get business. Be aware right now even these guys are busy. Have a friend who uses one and said he was covered up. But you might get lucky so I would try.

Another good thing is these guys come to you so your not out gas money or traffic problems.

Worth a try...and good luck! I think you will be pleased once these items are corrected. Ours has been flawless so far. No trips to the dealer. I have made some adjustments here and there myself but nothing major.

Much of what you have should normally be caught during PDI. Dealers are not doing the job and it shows. I had a very extensive PDI but I have bought too many RV's over the years to number which helps a bunch to know what to look for. Rule of thumb is once you drive off your own your own or get in line for service.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #15

Been looking at a new Jayco 321RSTS, but after lots of research we have decided to just keep our old one, at least I know what is wrong with it. I've fixed almost everything so why get rid of it and start all over again. I've heard the workmanship on these new units (all manufactures) is getting ridiculous to say the least. But I suppose as long as they keep selling them, they will keep throwing them together right and left. The great American way!

Larry, Marilyn & Buddy
2012 F-250 Super Duty
closely followed by
2012 Heartland Greystone.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

My gap over door and screen...

What you think.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_193617.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	40020Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_193642.jpeg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	40021Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_193634.jpeg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	40022Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_193621.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	40023
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My gap over door and screen... What you think.....snip
Totally unacceptable.

The main door assemblies (frame, outer door, screen door) are supplied to Jayco from Lippert Components Inc..

My main outer door didn't fit properly to the door frame making it difficult to close and almost impossible to get out of the TT..., shipped to my RV dealership this way. Had to have the entire door assembly replaced...., Jayco Warranty Service request was approved and new door arrived a week later (drop-ship direct from Lippert to dealership).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #18

They are pumping these things out as fast as they can, and expanding plants to keep up. Seems the folks having issues post and the ones that don’t have issues dont post. On my 2nd Jayco, and so far very few problems. Only went to the dealer once on the LED recall (last trailer). Our current one has had no issues thus far after 5 trips, in freezing weather and when it’s 98 degrees.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #19

Major problems should not be expected as they are. They should be the rarity and not common place. I had considered Jayco but scared of them now. I will probably go with a Arctic Fox, Nash, ORV or Grand Design. Yes..........they have problems also but they seem way fewer. With the ORV, Arctic Fox, Grand Design I also like the idea of extruded aluminum studs instead of 2X2's which in reality is probably 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 pine.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #20

I’ve had several new Jayco campers, and have seen the quality decrease with each one. We buy the same model each time so apples to apples comparison. If it were not for the floor plan we get, I would be going elsewhere. Our most recent 2017 has several cosmetic issues; graphics not line up, shotty trim inside and outside, caulk everywhere except where it is supposed to go, gel coat cracks, broken antenna, crooked tv mount and wrong tv mount, lots of debris under the roof membrane, curtains coming apart. We even looked at several units and all had similar issues. Most have been fixed at this point, but shouldn’t be the norm for a new camper.

We buy ours out of state to save on costs, but have had excellent warranty service out of camping world of all places. They have done great work, no questions asked, and always on time.

And for the record, we are jumping ship after this one to a different manufacturer.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote