Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Jayco quality

We have a 2019 38FDDS travel trailer. Ordered it and have had numerous problems:
Stereo system bad
Slide roof not sealed correctly, leaks
Furnace quit last season
Light issues
And now with 80-90 degrees the AC unit won't work
Its still under warranty but for cripes sake, each service call is 75.00
Is there a lemon law?
Gaardelli71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #2

Why are paying for a service call, are you on a permanent site?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #3

Check with you state about lemon law.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaardelli71 View Post
We have a 2019 38FDDS travel trailer. Ordered it and have had numerous problems:
Stereo system bad
Furnace quit last season
Light issues
Is there a lemon law?
This is fairly common with most all RVs. A good PDI at delivery will help with some of these but also finding a good RV repair shop (not the dealer) and getting authorization from Jayco to use that shop will lessen the pain and the down time. What you can do yourself will help. Call Jayco and get them to send the parts directly.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #5

I guess this is fairly common today but it certainly should not be. My 2011 has been lived in a total of about three years, cold weather, desert Summers and everything in between. We are yet to have a problem worthy of mention.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

When my wife and I went to an RV show we were looking for a new trailer because we both retire September. We are going to Florida for the winter.
We noticed every trailer mfg cut corners. Some real bad. They filled gaps outside with silicone. What a mess. I have to say Jayco was better. But we decided to up grade out 17’ expandable trailer. It has never given us a problem. For an ultra lite it is good.
I feel bad for the owner with the lemon. We had a HR that cost us big bucks. I was a disaster. Every weekend repair. Never again for us bur our friend owns the same trailer. Not a problem for him. It is sad to think your next trailer may be a mess.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #7

I’m not impressed with my brand new Jayco Redhawk 31F. The quality just seems poor. No real fit and finish or quality control prior to leaving the factory. I’m not sure how this compares to other manufacturers. I did have a Lance slide in camper and it seem better quality. We love the new RV, but a bit disappointed Jayco ships out their product the way they do.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Why are paying for a service call, are you on a permanent site?
Yes sir
Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #9

CAG,
I didn't know you could do that, but not many options where we camp for service .
Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Our last Jayco was bought new and we had it 11 years and had no issues. Just dont make em like they used to.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #11

We even had to wait 2 more months because Jayco shut down for quality control training. Guess everyone was napping during those classes.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes sir
So the need to pay 75.00 for service is due to the convince of not taking the TT to the dealer at your expense per the warranty. Although the inoperative systems may be a Jayco problem this expense is not.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #13
Tad

Had a fridge problem at elevation over 5500 feet. Took to Jayco dealer where I bought it 5 months ago. Said no problem found. I told them there is definitely a problem. Every time we camp at elevation the fridge stops working. After several hours or overnight it would fire back up. They could not find the problem. Wanted to charge me $149 diagnostic fee. I told them I wouldnt pay. HAd to take to a Norcold service center . Hopefully they find the problem.
2020 Redhawk 22A. Not sure why they think they can charge me for a problem they can't fix.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Had a fridge problem at elevation over 5500 feet. Took to Jayco dealer where I bought it 5 months ago. Said no problem found. I told them there is definitely a problem. Every time we camp at elevation the fridge stops working. After several hours or overnight it would fire back up. They could not find the problem. Wanted to charge me $149 diagnostic fee. I told them I wouldnt pay. HAd to take to a Norcold service center . Hopefully they find the problem.
2020 Redhawk 22A. Not sure why they think they can charge me for a problem they can't fix.
Right from the World Wide Web, it's a common issue. Not designed for high altitude.

When you operate the refrigerator on propane gas at altitudes higher than 5,500 feet above sea level:

You may experience reduced cooling performance of the refrigerator.
You may experience burner outages.
To avoid these possible problems, Norcold recommends that you operate the refrigerator on AC when at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Propane burn/btu's drop dramatically above that altitude. To the point that it won't burn at 8k or higher in many/most cases.
https://rvlife.com/altitudes-effects-on-rv/

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #16

The quality of every rv has gone down. That is why we renovated our 2008 trailer.
We may get 3 or 4 more years out of our trailer. The RV shows surprised us on how cheap moved in.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #17

Thumbs down Jayco quality has gone down dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
I’m not impressed with my brand new Jayco Redhawk 31F. The quality just seems poor. No real fit and finish or quality control prior to leaving the factory. I’m not sure how this compares to other manufacturers. I did have a Lance slide in camper and it seem better quality. We love the new RV, but a bit disappointed Jayco ships out their product the way they do.
I bought my first Jayco HT 5th wheel in 2012. Great unit. Used it 6 years without one problem, great quality. Upgraded to a 2018 HT 5th wheel and have had countless problems from day one. Learned after the fact that Thor, who bought Jayco, reduced their overhead by downsizing quality control which in turn has resulted very poor quality and workmanship. I will NOT purchase another Jayco(Thor) RV again.
Paco6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco6048 View Post
. Learned after the fact that Thor, who bought Jayco, reduced their overhead by downsizing quality control which in turn has resulted very poor quality and workmanship. I will NOT purchase another Jayco(Thor) RV again.
The Bontrager's are still in charge. Until last month, Derald Bontrager was not only CEO, but also COO handling all day to day operations, he is still CEO, but appointed a new COO last month from within. His brother Wilbur reitred in December 2018. JAYCO is a subsidiary of THOR, not run by THOR.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Stereo system bad
Furnace quit last season
Light issues
Is there a lemon law?
WI lemon law does not cover RVs and travel trailers. Only vehicles. Even if it did, the law is if it's in 3 times for the same issue and it's still not fixed it's a lemon. Oddly enough multiple issues don't count.

Stereo system, furnace, and AC are all 3rd party products, not made by Jayco, and have their own warranties. IMO, any RV entertainment system is junk anyway. A failure would be a good reason to buy something better quality to replace it with, regardless of warranty.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco6048 View Post
I bought my first Jayco HT 5th wheel in 2012. Great unit. Used it 6 years without one problem, great quality. Upgraded to a 2018 HT 5th wheel and have had countless problems from day one. Learned after the fact that Thor, who bought Jayco, reduced their overhead by downsizing quality control which in turn has resulted very poor quality and workmanship. I will NOT purchase another Jayco(Thor) RV again.
My first Jayco several years ago was a really nice unit with no problems and nice woodwork. This 2017.... not so much. Parts took a long time. Lots of fake wood that moisture doesn't do well with. I don't think I'll look at another one next time.

As for Thor, I have owned 2 Crossroads Cruiser 5ers that were very nice units. Great woodwork and very few problems. Their customer service was very easy to work with and got my problems handled very quickly. They are a Thor company too. From what I'm told Thor normally allows the companies they buy to handle customer service the same way as before unless there is an issue.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote