Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Jayco Quality Down or Fluke?

Hi, we love our 2014 19RD for the floorplan and overall we think its well-built. However, for a 3 yr old camper, we have had a number of issues, most that came up this year:
1. Front Power Jack failed- internal pin sheared, but even after repair it seemed underpowered. Replaced with a Barker unit.
2. Water Heater DSI Module Failed - replaced with Dinosaur Electronics UIB64 version
3.Awning LED light strip- several failed/dim LEDs- Atwood Customer Service said they do not even make them anymore-
4. Both propane pig tails. O-rings already cracked and leaking on one and these tanks are covered 100% of the time. Bought two new pigtails at local RV dealer, then found this camper has a unique regulator that the standard pig-tails will not fit -
5. Misc missing screws interior - floor vents, Microwave mounting, oven door (since we bought last year, can't tell if these were missing from original delivery or loosened out over time)

Anyone else have these same issues? Is it representative of typical Jayco quality or did I get a lemon with these components?

thanks

Bob

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
boblanglois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

Other than a few minor inconveniences that I have been able to remedy myself, I have had zero issues so far. My camper is still relatively new but we put nearly 2,000 Miles on her already.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblanglois View Post
Hi, we love our 2014 19RD for the floorplan and overall we think its well-built. However, for a 3 yr old camper, we have had a number of issues, most that came up this year:
1. Front Power Jack failed- internal pin sheared, but even after repair it seemed underpowered. Replaced with a Barker unit.
2. Water Heater DSI Module Failed - replaced with Dinosaur Electronics UIB64 version
3.Awning LED light strip- several failed/dim LEDs- Atwood Customer Service said they do not even make them anymore-
4. Both propane pig tails. O-rings already cracked and leaking on one and these tanks are covered 100% of the time. Bought two new pigtails at local RV dealer, then found this camper has a unique regulator that the standard pig-tails will not fit -
5. Misc missing screws interior - floor vents, Microwave mounting, oven door (since we bought last year, can't tell if these were missing from original delivery or loosened out over time)

Anyone else have these same issues? Is it representative of typical Jayco quality or did I get a lemon with these components?

thanks

Bob
Much appears to be normal wear and tear issues. None of those issues you listed would I call anything other than typical maintenance issues. Screws etc have to be checked and tightened as your "house" is shaking and rocking unlike a stick and brick home. Good luck and be happy it's not water issues, or delamination, rotting etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	27264

Problems are determined by the quality of the parts and how these rigs are put together. On my 2016 Jayco 23RLSW, bought April 2016. I have had issues that 5000 miles of travel contributed to. Loose stuff I have had to tighten, etc. I can live with that stuff, it's just part of the owner experience.

Other issues in a 6 month old TT, like a toilet that won't seal and keep water in the bowl, a entry door deadbolt that was cobbled to make work at the factory, ( the whole door and frame had to be replaced) is either cheap parts or bad quality control.

It's industry wide, not just Jayco. Build them, ship them, let the dealer or the buyer figure out the issues.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblanglois View Post

thanks

Bob
It seems you are blaming Jayco for a number of issues that beyond their control. In fact, only item 5 would be directly under Jayco's control.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #6

Maybe, but then I've had a Jayco before that did not have any of those issues (granted it did not have a power jack). I agree that all but #5 was a component that Jayco chose to install in their camper design. I guess it's similar to blaming Toyota for putting Takata defective air bags in my Rav4.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the components are the same in most campers these days, and we do love it- no water issues-no major obstacles to camping. I'm just surprised that I had so many items in such a short time with a newer camper.

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
boblanglois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
It seems you are blaming Jayco for a number of issues that beyond their control. In fact, only item 5 would be directly under Jayco's control.
x2
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

I can't speak industry wide in rv manufacturers. But I do hear a lot of stories on the condition of the units many times when they arrive at the dealer and no where near being finished. [I happen to own a brand new one that has had huge troubles] Which forces the dealer to complete work in the field other than in the factory as it is supposed to be done. Imagine if the same mfg mindset existed in the automotive industry where cars were partially completed at the factory and left for the dealer to finish in there shops. Imagine the liability that the automakers would have when there internal quality control was so low that they were shipping defective product with there name on it only to have a local tech finish assembly. Rvs are just as important as cars for safety on the roadways. If the industries internal quality control has gotten so poor that they will ship known defective and or incomplete product with there name on it then they are doomed. It's only a matter of time until you see a whole bunch of manufacturers go out of business. People spend there hard earned money on these rvs and have reasonable expectations on quality. We realize that these rvs aren't built to million dollar home standards but they have to produce a product that is one safe to take down the road and that will get us 10years of service or better for the money we spend. This big boom of rv sales will soon end as it always has and whoever was the least greedy and the most customer contious manufacturers will be the only ones to survive this as demand tapers off. The really sad part about this all is that this is what American manufacturing has come to in the world of quantity over quality of the large super greedy corporations getting into the rv manufacturering business with there only intentions of making more units,maximizing profits to satisfy its shareholders. And I truly belive that it is unsustainable in the future markets.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Well said Ryan, Right now it's built them as fast as they can with limited quality control.

They will deal with any problems later. See my photo in my earlier post. Absolutely no excuse for that.

The RV industry is riding the wave of high sales and with that come quality issues. Just the way it is. We buy them and hope for the best and take our chances.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

We need another recession to weed out the crappy mismanaged RV mfg's. Not only will another recession weed out the crappy mfg's it will also weed out the workers that are incompetent.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #11

Wireman that's not good at all. I hope it is fixed correctly.It is an absolute certainty that manufacturers will have things get out the door that aren't right as they manufacturer so many units stuff is going to happen it is a statistical certainty. With that being said they are all obviously manufacturing components and units at way over there facilities designed capacity. Slow her down and look at quality over quantity for record profits. I would assume that door frame was made by a supplier. I would be surprised at the man or women building those doors have had a Saturday off in the last six months and probably working 12-16hrs a day. I've seen this happen in the housing industry with new homes being slapped up useing inferior products such as Chinese drywall and guess where those builders ended up after the boom dissolved? Bankrupt! Not one single company is insulated from loosing there business by delivering product to its customers that doesn't meet or exceed the product that the consumer had its expectations set on. When these statistical certainties exist what does the company do to stand behind there product? That's how I rate anyone that I do business with. I have a unit that I have had major issues with very bad. I'm at this point not going to throw the manufacturer under the bus as I have given them the opportunity to resolve. I guess I'll wait and see.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

Bob respectively I have to disagree with you it's all directly under the manufacturers control on what components they choose to install on there units. The manufacturers ultimately are responsible for every single rv they manufacturer. If they are knowingly installing inferior components into there rvs than that even makes them worse off.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #13

With my entry door issue, the deadbolt would not lock so this was the fix instead of replacing the door and frame.

I guess they thought I would just live with it. I expected more than this kind fix and had the dealer replace the door & frame after Jayco authorized it.

Another unnecessary appointment & trip to the dealer. This is the kind of stuff that burns me.

Nothing is perfect in this world, but these manufacturers could limit the problems we have to deal with if they really wanted to. They are all the same, regardless of brand name.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #14

I think they are all pretty much the same as well. However I will say where the difference is in the dealer. Anyone that I know or speak with I would recommend a small mom and pop dealer even if I would have to travel a little further to get to. And they must be a service heavy dealership. Look at the size of what the dealership has devoted to sales and how much area or service bays have they committed to service. If the things that I'm hearing are true about the condition of a lot of these new units when they arrive at the dealer then it will be the service department doing the final assembly and or final quality checks. I myself wouldn't want those things being done in a wash bay just prior to buyer inspection. So many dealers I see are very and I mean very sales heavy dealerships usually your small town mom and pop dealers have a better ratio of sales to service in terms of capacity to service what they sell and in many cases what there competition is selling down the road that lacks the service needed for the vast amount of units they sell.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #15

We've owned many different rvs, all from different manufacturers. There are always a few problems that need to be addressed, no matter who built it! We've had our Melbourne for 5 months and have gone about 3,000 miles. So far, very minor issues that are all under warranty. Our solar panel monitor board has gone out (not the solar itself), one of our electrical outlets trips the breaker when we turn on the generator (every other time- crazy), we had a crushed accordian shade when we purchased that will be replaced. These are minor problems compared to other camper brands that we've owned - cabinets falling apart on bumpy roads, a refrigerator that almost completely fell out from the wall, a stove that broke loose from its flimsy particle board screws and slid about 2-feet out, slide-out malfunction, pinched electrical wire in a wall that electrified the whole outer skin of the camper...Yes, we're pretty pleased with our Jayco so far.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1974 View Post
Imagine the liability that the automakers would have when there internal quality control was so low that they were shipping defective product with there name on it only to have a local tech finish assembly. Rvs are just as important as cars for safety on the roadways. If the industries internal quality control has gotten so poor that they will ship known defective and or incomplete product with there name on it then they are doomed.
You mean like Ford Motor Company and General Motors shipping defective products with defects that the company actually knew about. Yup, doomed alright...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
You mean like Ford Motor Company and General Motors shipping defective products with defects that the company actually knew about. Yup, doomed alright...
Yes doomed that is correct... Gm ford and Chrysler did build a ton of design flawed crap. And where did they end up? Two of the three mentioned went to the federal government and got loans from our tax dollars. It was called a bailout. By far the largest in United States history.Don't know if you ever heard of it or not. But the big three ran there companies with much higher quality of junk even then. Compared to the stuff Ive seen and heard from the rv industry. I think most will agree that the automakers would have indeed been bankrupt and yes doomed for complete shutdown of there corporations. Had it not been for the almighty bailouts.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #18

I think we can all agree that the RV industry IS NOT putting it's best foot forward when it comes to initial build quality, especially in the lower end products.

No matter what the fancy brochures say, what the salesmen say, the proofs in the pudding.

They could improve their quality control. I have a hard time believing that it is cheaper for them to pay a dealer to fix something than catching it at the factory. Especially on obvious problems that the laymen can see.

You would think they would have someone monitor this forum and see what the owners have to deal with. But I guess it's not cost effective to have to pay someone $15/hr to see what's happening in the real RV world.

Lets face it, there are a lot of novice and 1st time buyers now, who through no fault of their own, get sold a bill of goods.

I just expect more than those owners. Maybe to much I guess in todays world.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I think we can all agree that the RV industry IS NOT putting it's best foot forward when it comes to initial build quality, especially in the lower end products.

No matter what the fancy brochures say, what the salesmen say, the proofs in the pudding.

They could improve their quality control. I have a hard time believing that it is cheaper for them to pay a dealer to fix something than catching it at the factory. Especially on obvious problems that the laymen can see.

You would think they would have someone monitor this forum and see what the owners have to deal with. But I guess it's not cost effective to have to pay someone $15/hr to see what's happening in the real RV world.

Lets face it, there are a lot of novice and 1st time buyers now, who through no fault of their own, get sold a bill of goods.

I just expect more than those owners. Maybe to much I guess in todays world.
I agree with everything you said up to the part about expecting too much in today's world. We as consumers should not be sold a inferior product with a shiney badge on the side of it and lied to by salesman to get there product sold in the name of profit.Wireman how many years would you hope to get out of a new rv that you spend $20+k on? I'm hoping 10 years myself with good maintenance. I don't think that's being unreasonable. Getting the 10 years from what I've experienced may be a problem. Like I said in a previous post our expectations aren't that we are buying a million dollar land barge but something of good quality that will safely go down the road and we can enjoy with our family's without falling apart in the mean time. I don't think that's asking for a lot especially for the price we pay for them where I come from they aren't cheap they are expensive purchases that should last. Rant over lol..
Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #20

RV mfg's are making a butt load off profit of their RV's. I highly doubt that the majority of buyers get the 30% off msrp that everyone thinks you should get. They can afford a couple $1000 every now and then for a dealer to fix stuff. Most units don't see the dealer that often. Some never do. They see no reason to change. Sales are thru the roof. So much so that dealers are back logged a month or two out for repairs. JMO but there needs to be more dealers for repairs. Most are incompetent and take forever. That only compounds the problem. The RV industry is out selling it's support base.