Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #1

Question Jayco/RV One - Inverter: Warranty info

Good morning,

So I recently purchased a 2022 Jayfeather Micro 166FBS from RV One.

Given that we want to Dry Camp as much as possible we were keen to have the "Inverter Pre-Wire" to utilize some 120v appliances off the battery; by installing an inverter.

Found out our power needs about 1500-2000W. Found an inverter in the aftermarket that is a pure sine wave and perfect for our needs.

Well, given we are under warranty we were going to have our dealer install it. They said they do not install aftermarket.

But we could purchase an inverter from them. Well as you know the mark-up was astronomical, didn't meet our power needs, and would need labor as well (Given but we all know those costs $175 an hr)

How do we install the inverter that meets our needs and doesn't void our warranty if our dealer is refusing to install it?

Thanks.
Comanche_Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

Think I solved it

Well, did some digging.

Turns out LazyDays will install aftermarket if the box is unopened and honor Jayco Warranty.

So we can get it installed with them and not void our warranty.

I hope this information helps others.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #3

More info

Got more info from Jayco:

The inverter pre-wire is 14g 120v Romex. MAX Rated for 1800w.

They mentioned something about a built in transfer switch. Waiting on them to confirm whether the inverter needs a built in transfer switch OR if the unit comes with a built in transfer switch.

The pre-wire on my 166FBS is under the bed, next to the water heater.

Hope this helps everyone.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #4

Wiring

Heard from Jayco on 166FBS for Pre-wire:

The loop of wiring that is supplied as a Pre-wired for an inverter only goes to the Fridge, TV and bedroom receptacle. The bedroom receptacle being the pop-up unit in the head/footboard.

It will also require a transfer switch either manual or automatic or within the inverter itself.

For me I have the 12v TV and 12v Fridge. Putting in an expensive inverter and expensive transfer switch to power only one outlet does not seem cost effective.

In Summation:

* Inverter pre-wire is a 14g Romex 120v loop of wire. Max watts 1800.
* Inverter will require a transfer switch
* Doesn't void warranty but won't be covered if aftermarket
* RV One will not install aftermarket. Lazydays will as long as its unopened
* Inverter would power: TV, Fridge, Bedroom only (on the 166FBS its the pop-up in headboard/footboard)
- If you have 12v Fridge and 12v TV it will only power the pop-up receptacle. Cannot say this is cost effective for my needs at this point.

I hope this deep dive into the 166FBS Pre-wire system is helpful to others.

All the best.
CM
Old 10-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #5

Inverters are good for certain things but should not be relied on for long time usage. They will suck a battery in quick order if you don't keep an eye on your battery voltage.

If you need 1500 - 2000 watts of power this will equate to 125 - 166 amps (ballpark) being drawn from the battery (or bank of batteries). Your battery will not be able to provide this amount of current for very long.

I have a 1000 watt factory inverter that is used to power our Direct TV setup. When using it I can watch the voltage drop over the course of a few hours to a level where I will shut things down. You don't want to go below 12.1 volts as you can damage your battery. I have 2 type 27 batteries in my rig with 400 watts of solar that helps the batteries last longer when I am watching TV during the day.

I also have a 2200 watt inverter generator that I use to keep the batteries topped off after dark if needed. One of my best purchases!

My recommendation is to definitely get a voltage display that is always visible and easy to watch. Without a monitor you will have no idea where you are sitting with battery reserve. You will also need a power source for recharging. On-board generators will do the work but they are pretty much overkill for just battery charging. A small external one will save run time on your big unit, be easier and cheaper to service, use less gas, and typically may be quieter.

I dry camp a lot and feel my best purchase was the little generator followed by the solar.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote