Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

Jayco Skylights-Worth It?

So we have a 2016 27BHS on the way with the Elite Package. One of the options it adds is a skylight in the kitchen. While the extra light will be nice, is it worth the risk? I'm thinking it may make the trailer more succeptable to water damage. Any thought from current skylight owners, or anyone's thoughts? I have heard you can delete this option.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

The benefits out weigh the risk of a leak way down the road. My skylight is going on 6 years now and it's just fine and I just inspected the caulk just a few days ago. If you inspect it 1-2 times a year you can take it off your worry list.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Team

We have one in our shower stall. We like the light it provides and it helps keep the room dry and mildew free.

Routine maintenance on the roof seal is the only thing we have done.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the input! That added natural light really makes a difference huh?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Cover the caulking with Eternabond and never worry again.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

I respectfully disagree. It lets in too much heat or cold that I have no control over. Wasted energy.

I can always flip a light switch if I need more light. That, I can control.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I respectfully disagree. It lets in too much heat or cold that I have no control over. Wasted energy.

I can always flip a light switch if I need more light. That, I can control.
The skylight is very small. We are also getting the thermal package plus larger AC. I could be wrong but the skylight can'tbe that huge of a temperature factor?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

My DW is an artist. She loves the skylight. And the light and ventilation from the widows at the front and rear of the slide. And the light from the huge rear window.

We like the outdoors and spend lots of time outside when camping and the weather cooperates. When the weather doesn't cooperate, we like as much natural light as we reasonably can... in very sunny sites that does mean putting pieces of reflective windshield solar shade in the skylights and sunny windows, but on cloudy or rainy days the DW's mood is much brighter bringing in whatever natural light is available.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
The skylight is very small. We are also getting the thermal package plus larger AC. I could be wrong but the skylight can'tbe that huge of a temperature factor?
I live here in the South where temperatures regularly hit 100F during the summer, sometimes weeks at a time. Yes, it makes a huge difference. Its like punching a hole in your insulation that you so dearly paid for in the roof.

If you do not see such climate extremes all year long, then your mileage may vary.

Lots of people plug them up with insulation during these weather extremes. Not sure where they all went but lots of threads on here about the best way to go about it.

If I could have ordered my unit without it, I would have.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

Being in Florida I had the Kitchen Skylight deleted when I ordered our 28 BHBE with Elite Pkg, I confirmed with Jayco it could be done. The DW and I both were not excited about it and for me it was "I want the other items of the Elite Pkg but wish they did not add the skylight" as it was an extra hole for leaks, heat and maintenance down the road replacing the thin plastic when (not if) it breaks. Since I did not look forward to all of that and based on a tip from forum member BigJohnD I asked if it could be deleted, the 28BHBE has plenty of Windows so will get plenty of natural light without the Heat.

I contemplated deleting the one in the Bathroom but like the headroom it provides though will coat it with something to prevent damage from the UV effects of the Sun.

On our old X19H after 3 yrs in the Florida Sun, and the roof only saw the Sun half the day, the Bath Skylight was yellowed and brittle and almost ready for replacement.

I also ordered the Thermal Pkg, 15k AC and 2nd AC and still deleted it. I feel much better not having to worry about it later on.

With all that said many people love them, or they would not have made it an option. To each his own but it is nice you can delete it if you order one and don't want it.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post

With all that said many people love them, or they would not have made it an option. To each his own but it is nice you can delete it if you order one and don't want it.
Now you tell me!
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Site Team

We looked thru some new rigs a while back that had a skylight in the slideout roof. Now that would be something that I didn't care for. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences.
As already stated there are ways to insulate the opening during extreme weather.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #13

I'd say, if you want a skylight, get one. Mine in the shower is flush with the ceiling. If the one you want is the same, you can't put an insulating blanket in it, but you could tape a piece of rigid foam board. Not visually sanitary, but how often would you need it?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

We have 2 skylights. The one in the bathroom is fine. The one in the kitchen is great when we want lots of light, but often we have a kid sleeping in the bunks and couch and early morning lets in a lot of light.

I put in a light blanket in the skylight to knock down the light and offer more insulation. For us, it's fine either way. having the skylight allows the option to keep the extra light, or block it out....

I have zero problems/concerns with a water leak. I think the a/c would leak before the skylight.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #15

We also like the skylight. The one over the shower is nice but we really enjoy the main one in the Living/Dining area. We mostly enjoy being outside but when it rains (which is every Trip) the extra light inside is great. Do not need to turn on any lights most times.

We are in the mid Atlantic area so we do not get the extreme sun all the time.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #16
Site Team

We have the "eyebrow" window above the slide. It lets in loads of light also.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
The sky light in the living area, comes with a shade that you can open or close. This helps to insulate the skylight. You can also insert the blanket type insulation. That being said, we have lived in ours in snow and in heat and never had any issue with the skylight. Wasn't any colder or warmer. It is a double light with an air gap in between which will also help with insulation.

We enjoy the extra natural light. I also added a shade to the fan/sky light in the bath, which does help to keep the light from shining into the bedroom in the morning.

Enjoy your new Rig !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #18

So it appears that opinions regarding the skylights are a bit mixed in regard to thermal extremes. My incoming has the elite, so it will have the big skylight over the kitchen area. I'm in New England where we really don't see the heat extremes of the south. I close up in the winter, so I'm not too concerned about extreme cold either. My one concern is how the plastic itself will hold up over time. With proper maintenance and chalking, my only leak concern is the bubble itself cracking or warping over time. I am looking forward the xtra natural light it will provide. We'll see.
On another note, I was told yesterday that my rig is scheduled to arrive at the dealer today!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #19

We really like the extra natural light that it provides; however, when temps are over 100, it lets in a lot of heat. Our skylight does not have a sunshade.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson 197 View Post
We really like the extra natural light that it provides; however, when temps are over 100, it lets in a lot of heat. Our skylight does not have a sunshade.
That looks more like a window. LOL

You are ways to overcome some of the negatives about skylights.
Gator roll-up bed cover