Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Jayco SLX 8 264bhw - AC problem?

I'm not the handiest nor technically savvy RV guy you'll find. The problem, my thermostat won't light/come on to run the AC. This is my last shot before going to a dealer for the fix. Here's a quick summary of symptoms.

Connected to the truck, 12V lights work. Unplugged from the truck, they don't work. All other electrical items except thermostat work when on shore power. I have:

1. Checked all wiring, nothing loose, no grounding issues I could find. This includes the box at the front of the trailer and those leading to the battery. Switched out the 30 amp fuse there as well. I also checked the wiring box in the AC unit and found nothing wrong.

2. Replaced the battery. It was probably time anyway.

3. Replaced the thermostat (dometic) with an exact replacement and with a different type with batteries hoping that might bypass the issue. Neither worked. Same result on dometic replacement.

4. Replaced the converter wire for wire with the exact same model. Learned I could replace the converter, also learned the converter wasn't the problem. Exact same conditions as the old converrter. By the time all is said and done, that is the only thing I won't be able to return along with the sweat lost working on the thing two different 90 degree days. Don't mistake the frustration here for bitterness.

Some mysteries remain. I don't think the I can't really trace the wires under the camper as there is a winter cover of some sort. I resisted the temptation to ruin that. I saw a video where sometimes there is a reset switch (this was not on a Jayco but a desperate man will consider all options) on the furnace. The furnace is under the couch and the view and access is impossible without removing the couch which I did not do. I felt around and did not find any switch. Finally, I don't think the battery is getting charged. Voltometer shows 12.44 with shore power connected and not connected. I read where that should be 13+ when connected to the shore power and charging. Battery registered 12.52 when purchased but it has not been connected to shore power except when troubleshooting (its on a storage lot otherwise). The control panel shows the battery at full strength (5 bars I believe).

I hate to give up. I think it is something simple. I hate more to take it to a dealer. I live near Indianapolis, if your best advice is to take it to a repair man, I am resigned to doing so.

Thanks.

Tad
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

the converter must be powered by a 15 amp 120 volt breaker. Check the voltage out of the converter. It charges the battery.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Also take a look see if you have a battery disconnect switch somewhere and make sure it is on.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

If it's only the thermostat that doesn't have power some rigs have the power coming from the furnace and members have had to hit the reset on it.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to assist.
Cavie - I did see and wire the 15 amp to the converter in the new converter. Since it was the same problem with both converters, could it be the actual breaker. Seems they would not go bad but I'm not an electrician. Also, if you have the chance, where would be the best place to check that. It's a little cramped in the converter.
Lake Huron - This is something I've wondered about but could not find. Are these usually up front. There is a box for the brake and a junction box and some sort of block with the red battery cable going to it (along with another red cable - At times, when hooking the voltometer to these to it would read 30 amps). I'm not sure where to look.
Grumpy - There is definitely power going to the furnace. It will be a bear to get to but I'll dig in and see if there is one there. I haven't seen that offered on a Jayco when I scoured the forums but it's worth a look.

Thanks again to the three of you.

Tad
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout34 View Post
Thanks to each of you for taking the time to assist.
Cavie - I did see and wire the 15 amp to the converter in the new converter. Since it was the same problem with both converters, could it be the actual breaker. Seems they would not go bad but I'm not an electrician. Also, if you have the chance, where would be the best place to check that. It's a little cramped in the converter.
Lake Huron - This is something I've wondered about but could not find. Are these usually up front. There is a box for the brake and a junction box and some sort of block with the red battery cable going to it (along with another red cable - At times, when hooking the voltometer to these to it would read 30 amps). I'm not sure where to look.
Grumpy - There is definitely power going to the furnace. It will be a bear to get to but I'll dig in and see if there is one there. I haven't seen that offered on a Jayco when I scoured the forums but it's worth a look.

Thanks again to the three of you.

Tad
You need to measure the incoming 120 AC volts from the breaker. You also need to measure the outgoing 12 DC volts from the converter. Yes they do go bad.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote